10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Hetherington

14. Smoothy
15. Baker/Willison
16. Jensen/Taupau
17. TPJ

I'm sure I am forgetting someone but this is based on media reports so far and if we get TPJ.

I really don't know how to feel about TPJ. The guy is a moron and can be absolutely toxic but there is no denying the talent he has when he is on and the reality is, we only really need him to be on every so often with the calibre of talent around him. He certainly also fills a need at second row and this pack and bench is plan and simply the most frightening in the league or at least has the potential to be better than every other forward rotation in the NRL...including Penrith.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
It's not happening. The NRL shouldn't allow it. You can't just "retire" out of a high paid contract slagging off the game in the process, and then pop back up at another club a few months later.

For starters, he's not a "minimum wage" type of player. He's worth as much if not more than Flegler or Capewell. The only reason we would want him is that he's potentially worth that much. And if he's not worth that much we don't want him. There's the paradox. He knows his worth.

You might argue he's too risky to pay big money, in which case, we don't want a risky player. Every player, regardless of whether we need them for only ten minutes off the bench has to train for eighty. You don't sign a player who's half arsed about it. And if he's willing to play for unders, because his mind is elsewhere, or he's out of form, we don't want him.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
So, what do we think about:

1. Walsh
2. Oates/Mariner
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Arthars
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Carrigan
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Hetherington

14. Smoothy
15. Baker/Willison
16. Jensen/Taupau
17. TPJ

I'm sure I am forgetting someone but this is based on media reports so far and if we get TPJ.

I really don't know how to feel about TPJ. The guy is a moron and can be absolutely toxic but there is no denying the talent he has when he is on and the reality is, we only really need him to be on every so often with the calibre of talent around him. He certainly also fills a need at second row and this pack and bench is plan and simply the most frightening in the league or at least has the potential to be better than every other forward rotation in the NRL...including Penrith.
1. Walsh
2. Oates/Mariner
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Arthars
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Baker
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Riki
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan
14. Smoothy
15. Hetherington
16. Willison
17. TPJ

Make sure TPJ know’s he takes a step wrong even half an inch (culturally and behaviour wise) he is gone. We don’t need him, he could be very handy tho if he plays like he did at Penrith. Won’t be angry either way with that. Nothing has ever suggested Carrigan will be moving away from lock so no point talking about it as such this far into the pre-season.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
It's not happening. The NRL shouldn't allow it. You can't just "retire" out of a high paid contract slagging off the game in the process, and then pop back up at another club a few months later.

For starters, he's not a "minimum wage" type of player. He's worth as much if not more than Flegler or Capewell. The only reason we would want him is that he's potentially worth that much. And if he's not worth that much we don't want him. There's the paradox. He knows his worth.

You might argue he's too risky to pay big money, in which case, we don't want a risky player. Every player, regardless of whether we need them for only ten minutes off the bench has to train for eighty. You don't sign a player who's half arsed about it. And if he's willing to play for unders, because his mind is elsewhere, or he's out of form, we don't want him.
I also agree with this take it shouldn’t be allowed to happen either and it’s a joke if the comp do allow it.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I also agree with this take it shouldn’t be allowed to happen either and it’s a joke if the comp do allow it.
Yes, this whole thought process makes me appreciate Marty Taupau, who's a legend of the game, but playing for unders because he's past his prime. This is the kind of player you only need to be on for ten minutes, but he's clearly not lying in front of the tele stuffing his face with Burger Rings:

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Triple M Dobbo warning. But his reveal was that TPJ would do his boxing stuff, and when that's done, join the Broncos around Origin time. It'll be the last quarter of the pay-year, so he'd be paid $250k for a half-season cameo.

I don't like it after his comments about the game. But not only have teams done this for a late-season boost, TPJ himself was allowed to do this with the Panthers, so the NRL would end up being extremely hypocritical to not allow it. After the Ben Hunt saga last year though, where the media basically piled on while it was still just a vague rumour, it will be fun to watch.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
View attachment 25813

McCullough played at halfback at times, as well.

I don't think it needs to be explained that playing some games in the role doesn't mean you're going to be successful there.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Updated text

ScreenScreenshot 2024 01 24 at 20 53 41 Broncos bombshell TPJs secret NRL comeback after reti

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Triple M Dobbo warning. But his reveal was that TPJ would do his boxing stuff, and when that's done, join the Broncos around Origin time. It'll be the last quarter of the pay-year, so he'd be paid $250k for a half-season cameo.

I don't like it after his comments about the game. But not only have teams done this for a late-season boost, TPJ himself was allowed to do this with the Panthers, so the NRL would end up being extremely hypocritical to not allow it. After the Ben Hunt saga last year though, where the media basically piled on while it was still just a vague rumour, it will be fun to watch.
Maybe if we're walking wounded we might be able to use a mercenary, but by then our next wave of talent (Willison, Te Kura, etc) should be starting to hit their straps. It's a bit of a slap in the face to bring in a bloke like this late in the season.

We might've dodged a bullet not bringing Hunt in last season, and disrupting what became a Grand Final standard spine.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

I don't think it needs to be explained that playing some games in the role doesn't mean you're going to be successful there.
Macca was a slug.

Broncosgirl

Broncosgirl

Deep in the Heart of Queensland
Contributor
Nov 9, 2022
The thing with TPJ is, he has absolutely no respect or passion for the game of rugby league.

Shouldn't that really be the end of the story .. or at least the end of the conversation as far as the Broncos are concerned?😕

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I don't like this mercenary rule either but until the NRL get rid of it, we should take advantage of it as much as anyone else. That said, do you want to do it with a bloke like TPJ who has been toxic everywhere he has gone? Well that's the $250k question.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Mam didn’t even play, he hurt his shoulder at the state carnival. Dumbest example ever of he can play half.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
If he misses that much game time, is he even going to be good enough to come into the side then? Sounds not worth it.

S

Sanjit Joseph

NYC Player
Oct 21, 2017
I don't know how much of a fan I'm of him coming mid year I would prefer he trains in the preseason with the squad and gets back into playing and is potentially ready for rnd 1. My thoughts

Active Now

• Allo
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.