Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

What about his behaviour or performances since he left the club the first time signals it would be a good idea to bring him back again? He’s quoted as saying he doesn’t want to play RL, hes sick of having to listen to other people telling him what to do & wants to be his own boss - where is the upside here?

I remember reading a way to fix up the mercenaries at least a little bit would be to only allow a team to spend a fraction of their remaining cap on a player depending on how long is left in the year when they are signed.

So with TPJ, if we want him for half the year and we have $300,000 left in the cap, we can only offer him $150,000. It seemed like a decent way to stop teams from being able to throw large amounts of money at stars for a late season boost to their finals run. There are probably some downsides to this though and if a team is willing to let a player go and another team has the money to buy them, maybe they should be allowed to spend whatever they've got

At least with the mid-season transfer deadline being brought back to June 30, we won't see as much of this stuff. Crazy to think that for the past few seasons you have been able to buy a player for the final 4 matches + finals.
Yeah that's like a pro rata approach where your salary cap is effectively reducing as the year goes on.

The issue that comes with that are the grants provided by the NRL. I think last I heard the grant was $13m to cover the salary cap and then extra on top because the clubs wanted more money... but mostly it's there to ensure each club can pay the wage bill to compete in the comp.

At the moment clubs are required to spend 95% of their cap by a certain point of the year, which ensures that clubs are spending the grant on what they're meant to and they can't just pocket the grant and field an absolute garbage team at 20% spend of the cap.

Under a pro rata teams wont really be able to spend the 95% unless they have their top 30 sorted from day 1.

If a team was well under their cap at the start of the year it would keep reducing and they wouldnt be able to catch up to it which would mean they can then pocket a fair chunk of it and get nowhere near 95% spend.

My understanding of the cap as it currently stands is that they basically start with the full salary cap on Nov 1 and then it gets accumulated each month through wages... like a lump sum.

A way the NRL could control it and allow pro rata to happen as well is if the NRL just paid each club's wage bill each month. That way the grant is still being used for the salary cap as intended and clubs can only access it by signing players. They could also include a pro rata beyond a certain point... like end of March or start of Origin... so from that point onwards the cap reduces, but the actual value remains the same and clubs and mercenaries arent being rewarded as much by the longer they hold off signings.

What about his behaviour or performances since he left the club the first time signals it would be a good idea to bring him back again? He’s quoted as saying he doesn’t want to play RL, hes sick of having to listen to other people telling him what to do & wants to be his own boss - where is the upside here?
I wonder if that was part of Gould's script to make the "retirement" look more credible.

Just wanted to say, I’m loving these season previews sort of riding us off because we lost Farnworth, Capewell and flegler. But they forget that Piakura is better than Capewell, Cobbo or Mariner can easily fill Herbies spot. And Willison, Te Kura, Hetherington and baker can easily fill fleglers spot. But the biggest thing they are forgetting is that this young team hasn’t hit their prime yet and it’s scary. I’m putting my money on Brisbane to get that silverware this year.

Who is writing us off? The write ups I've read have us being right up there again but with understandable and accurate questions about how will the replacements go. This seems pretty pragmatic to me.

Am i really reading suggestions to fix the loophole the min we look to take advantage from our own supporters lol?

Reality Wow GIF by Married At First Sight

Personally not to fussed if its one and done with TPJ if we have 250k or what ever free this year around the time they are talking about go for it,provides decent cover if shit hits the fan for the remainder of the season.not like he is a walk up starter once he gets a contract.

I wonder if that was part of Gould's script to make the "retirement" look more credible.
I would've thought it aligned more with Rose's script to promote upcoming fights.

Boxing and MMA promotion is becoming more like WWE and he needs a heel... TPJ hating the NRL and rugba leeeeg means he can sell matches against footy players (Lodge, etc.) or at worst he can get footy fans to tune in to his fights hoping to see the rugba leeg hater get knocked the **** out.

Mundine basically made a career out of the gimmick with people tuning in to see if the baby face could knock him out

Interesting given Mozer is coming for his spot.
Interesting indeed. I speculated earlier now might be the best time for him to jump ship. He's an (almost) premiership winning hooker right now. That makes him objectively top tier NRL. But in six months, he's going to be running around in the QCup waiting for Billy or Blake to get injured. The iron won't get any hotter. And it's only a one year extension.

Bets when Billy gets announced?

I would've thought it aligned more with Rose's script to promote upcoming fights.

Boxing and MMA promotion is becoming more like WWE and he needs a heel... TPJ hating the NRL and rugba leeeeg means he can sell matches against footy players (Lodge, etc.) or at worst he can get footy fans to tune in to his fights hoping to see the rugba leeg hater get knocked the **** out.

Mundine basically made a career out of the gimmick with people tuning in to see if the baby face could knock him out
I guess. He's barely a heel though. More of a dumbass.

HISTORY REPEATING?

Last time the Broncos had a meeting this secret Herbie wound up at the Dolphins.

ScreenGEmE8DHbcAAGFAm.jpg

I guess. He's barely a heel though. More of a dumbass.
Not every performer is good on the mic, but the promoter has to work with what he's got anyway... and Georgie Rose has been handed a hospital pass from Gus.

Turns out he could only get him two gigs and he might be suggesting to TPJ that he needs to also be on the footy field / footy news cycle to stay in the spotlight.

Be interesting to see if Rose's promotion is getting any kickbacks from Gus's side of the fence for taking the anchor off their hands... perhaps some hosting of events in a Laundy Hotel 🤔🤔🤔

Not every performer is good on the mic, but the promoter has to work with what he's got anyway... and Georgie Rose has been handed a hospital pass from Gus.

Turns out he could only get him two gigs and he might be suggesting to TPJ that he needs to also be on the footy field / footy news cycle to stay in the spotlight.

Be interesting to see if Rose's promotion is getting any kickbacks from Gus's side of the fence for taking the anchor off their hands... perhaps some hosting of events in a Laundy Hotel 🤔🤔🤔
Speaking of heels, these lunks would be better off moonlighting as wrestlers than boxers. At least there's some scope for personality in it. It might even be good for the NRL.

Interesting given Mozer is coming for his spot.

yeah but didn't you read the Meyn article in the CM. Smoothy is putting the pressure on Billy to retain his position. so ...

Interesting indeed. I speculated earlier now might be the best time for him to jump ship. He's an (almost) premiership winning hooker right now. That makes him objectively top tier NRL. But in six months, he's going to be running around in the QCup waiting for Billy or Blake to get injured. The iron won't get any hotter. And it's only a one year extension.

Bets when Billy gets announced?
Billy is 30 this year, Smothy will be 25 and Mozer 20. I could see them doing a slow transition over the next few years as Billy slowly moves to retirement (maybe a 2 year extension will be his last). No need to rush Mozer, he'll get his chance (injuries/rests).

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.