Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

Was letting Walsh walk the best recruitment decision Kevvie has made during his tenure?

It set a line in the sand ... Basically that you'll have to earn you spot in the team ...

Once he signed with the Warriors to letting him walk was smart

I'd say it's high risk high reward ... money isn't the only thing at risk, if it was then I'd have no issues with it.

And I don't for one second believe that his heart is with us alone. If Payne was at the Dolphins or the Titans or the Roosters ... Then that would be the club TPJ wants to join, not us.

The bloke was toxic for our dressing room during his last stint here (where we got the spoon, not entirely his fault but still...), then he walks away from a battling club (while under contract ) talking about how he was pushed into playing league.

I get all of that but our team isn't full of impressionable kids anymore, they are now battle hardened and high quality. TPJ is around the boys anyway, even if he isn't at training all the time. So not sure that even the influence thing is that big an issue.

He has been consistent in saying he wants to play for us. So if we sign him for not much money, we aren't forced to play him, he has to earn it and I trust Kevvie to stand his ground, he has constantly done that in his tenure thus far. Look at all the external pressure to pay Oates, Willison, Mozer, etc - Kevvie is a really good coach - he knows hat he's doing.

Kevvie also isn't an idiot, he'll have a good gut feel about whether RPJ has changed or not. If Kevvie is ok with it and TPJ works his butt off to warn his shot, why not?

If he does turn out to be toxic, sack him again and lose next to no money for it.

I get all of that but our team isn't full of impressionable kids anymore, they are now battle hardened and high quality. TPJ is around the boys anyway, even if he isn't at training all the time. So not sure that even the influence thing is that big an issue.

He has been consistent in saying he wants to play for us. So if we sign him for not much money, we aren't forced to play him, he has to earn it and I trust Kevvie to stand his ground, he has constantly done that in his tenure thus far. Look at all the external pressure to pay Oates, Willison, Mozer, etc - Kevvie is a really good coach - he knows hat he's doing.

Kevvie also isn't an idiot, he'll have a good gut feel about whether RPJ has changed or not. If Kevvie is ok with it and TPJ works his butt off to warn his shot, why not?

If he does turn out to be toxic, sack him again and lose next to no money for it.
He will do far more damage that a monetary value of a contract. He was a poisoned chalice to the younger players and is a well known squad disruptor who has significant history in going to bat for themselves over the team.

He will do far more damage that a monetary value of a contract. He was a poisoned chalice to the younger players and is a well known squad disruptor who has significant history in going to bat for themselves over the team.

Again, I get that but as I said, if that turns out to be the case, he is on a short contract, just sack him.

But if that isn't the case, we have a potential GF difference maker available to us. It is a risk but to blanketly say no, because he was a certain way previously, while understandable, also sends a message that we believe players can't change...

imagine if we thought that with Walsh wanting to come home.

He was a poisoned chalice to the younger players and is a well known squad disruptor who has significant history in going to bat for themselves over the team.
There actually any evidence of this or just something that is waved around by the same media we shit pan when we dont like what we are hearing?

Again, I get that but as I said, if that turns out to be the case, he is on a short contract, just sack him.

But if that isn't the case, we have a potential GF difference maker available to us. It is a risk but to blanketly say no, because he was a certain way previously, while understandable, also sends a message that we believe players can't change...

imagine if we thought that with Walsh wanting to come home.
The catch is, he is good mates with payne.

If TPJ were to play up and the broncos sack TPJ, how do you think it would sit with him? You don't think TPJ would be in his ear sowing discontent.

The catch is, he is good mates with payne.

If TPJ were to play up and the broncos sack TPJ, how do you think it would sit with him? You don't think TPJ would be in his ear sowing discontent.

I mean...this already happened didn't it and yet Payne re-signed.

did you happen to miss that whole drama with him before we ended up with his signature.

edit. next time we might not be so lucky

We also might be. As I said, I get your point of view and I get the concerns, they are understandable. I just don't think the past is not overcomeable. He is saying all the right things and backing it up with his approach at Souths.

It may all be a ruse and it may go pear shaped but right now, as it stands, if the club deem from all available evidence, it is worth the risk - I'm all for it.

If they also decide it isn't, I totally understand it.

But IF we get a fit and firing, changed TPJ, that's an absolute win ability wise.

He doesn't have to replace him, He's an ideal bench weapon. Hughes out this week- Wishart and Pezet in the halves and Faalogo on the back of three tries for the Bears takes the 14.

13 of Papenhuyzen's first 22 games were off the bench.

One big factor there .
Cameron Wayne Smith . You might remember him ? Little guy who would play 80 minutes per match .
Now days its 2 hookers in the 17 . You want 2 middles a hooker and a under sized outside back ? Dunno if Mr Bellamy will run with that .

If TPJ is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question in our quest for a premiership.

He's the type of player the Titans would sign, someone who can show some crazy stuff on highlight reels and get the attention of dumb, bored half-fans. He's a low work ethic, talented but dumb, lazy player. Dave Taylor, Konrad Hurrell, Bryce Cartwright, Jamal Idris, Tyrone Peachey. Some team at some stage got a solid year or two out of each of those but overall they are the sort of players teams chase if they aren't premiership contenders, they are chasing the top 8 and are hoping to gamble in order to get there.

I agree the previous TPJ was not great and he is yet to show a different version.

However, what is the harm on low contract dollars to fill the top 30? There isn't enough age and physically mature back rowers in the ranks. If he does the job, so be it. If he shits the bed, he doesn't get onto the bench. You would be hard pressed getting a 19-/20 yr old to fill his potential spot currently, let alone the free market or mid season transfer. Remember its last chance saloon for him.

I agree the previous TPJ was not great and he is yet to show a different version.

However, what is the harm on low contract dollars to fill the top 30? There isn't enough age and physically mature back rowers in the ranks. If he does the job, so be it. If he shits the bed, he doesn't get onto the bench. You would be hard pressed getting a 19-/20 yr old to fill his potential spot currently, let alone the free market or mid season transfer. Remember its last chance saloon for him.

I`m callin it now TPJ vs BTK 2 men enter 1 man leaves .
I`m on BTK . Choo Choo !

Active Now

• john1420
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Foordy
  • levikaden
  • Maddy
  • Griffo
  • Manofoneway
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • Inknition
  • BroncosAlways
  • MrTickyMcG
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
  • Fozz
  • Waynesaurus
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Galah
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.