Finally the Mexicans have seen the light

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Whatever Gallops and his pack of knobs are doing, it's working. Some brilliant results this year in both ratings, and crowds. Even some alright crowds in Sydney!

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Nashy said:
Whatever Gallops and his pack of knobs are doing, it's working. Some brilliant results this year in both ratings, and crowds. Even some alright crowds in Sydney!
And yet he still doesn't have the balls to get a half decent tv deal.
Instead AFL have a much much better TV deal even though the NRL has far better ratings and consistently is a top rater every single year.

R

rissi_gurl

NYC Player
Mar 17, 2008
I haave friends in melbourne who are massive storm fans and sometimes they have to stay up til 1am to watch a game! hopefully next year 9 can get it together!

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
rissi_gurl said:
I haave friends in melbourne who are massive storm fans and sometimes they have to stay up til 1am to watch a game! hopefully next year 9 can get it together!
I was surprised Nine even made the grand final live across Australia. Gallop needs to grow a pair and tell 9 if they don't host it live across Australia(Friday games and Sunday games at 4)(The sport will never grow if people can only see it at 1am!) or they will give the rights to another channel.

Russo

Russo

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Gallop has to wait till the rights come up for review before he can negotiate, and from memory that happens in 2011 but I may be wrong.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah good news re the ratings tho I suspect the reason the TV ratings were higher than the AFL TV ratings is because 100,000 of them were actually at the MGC for the AFL and those who weren't there were probably at the pub/parties etc whereas for the NRL they were probably all at their individual homes, therefore more TVs. However enough of my nay-saying, it's still a tremendous result!!! Sucks that Ch 9 went straight to news in Melb pretty much as soon as the full time siren went, so they didn't get to see the presentations etc - very poor form Ch 9

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Amazing that the ratings were actually higher in Melbourne than in Brisbane for the GF.

It's taken the team of our generation to get it to happen, but is RL finally emerging in Melbourne? Hope so. If it can continue to climb in popularity in Victoria, seeing those pricks play in the grand final four years straight is actually worth it.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I told a couple of AFL fans (from Melbourne) this yesterday. Their response was basically 'Yeah but only cause Melbourne was actually in the Grand Final' missing the point completely. My hatred of that sport is only fuelled by the ignorance of their supporters.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
I think that's a big factor Scotty - if the Storm were not in the Grand Final I doubt hardly anyone in Melbourne would have watched it. So whilst the Storm's success is definitely to be applauded and making inroads, I hope the people in power don't think that we've totally cracked the Vic market and there is still work to be done to use the Storm's success to continue to build the popularity of the game over all, not just the parochialism of Vics hating NSW.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I know it's a factor but the point is that people bothered to watch the game at all in what is such an AFL dominated area.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Oh yeah it's great it got such an audience, I just hope the administrators of the game don't get too carried away and think "job done."

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
I've heard a lot of feedback that Melbournians are incredibly bitter with Channel 9 for them cutting straight to the news without showing the awards ceremony/ ccmedal etc etc.

Apparently quite a few people quickly jumped on the phone and the queue to complain was 1/2 hr long with everyone else complaining.

Pretty DUMB move by channel 9!!!

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Yep, just another example of Ch 9's total lack of respect for the sport. They are a big part of the reason why it is/has taken so long for the sport to take hold in Victoria.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Even dumber was putting on some motor patrol show on between the Toyota Cup game and the Pre-game build up. Surely they could have showed highlights of last year's grand final or something like that instead of completely going away from the coverage.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
That show was only in in Qld - I believe in NSW they had their news during that half hour. Of course they couldn't do anything footy-related for the Qld viewers that the NSW viewers missed out on.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Manofoneway
  • Alec
  • Justwin
  • davidp
  • Jedhead
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Gaz
  • jd87
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Johnny92
  • Locky24
  • Kev_Guz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.