Gillett, Parker, Thaiday and Hannant likely for World Cup squad

only parker deserves to be even selected. shows just how much rep teams are based on reputation and selectors favouritism. thaiday has been pathetic for years.

McCrones been selected FFS, says it all about the intelligence of the selectors

McCrones been selected FFS, says it all about the intelligence of the selectors

it's also the train-on squad made up of the bottom 8 teams. to be fair, you aren't going to see McCrone even close to the final squad once the rest of the NRL becomes available for selection.

but thaiday will be in the starting 13, guaranteed. gillett will probably be bench along with hannant. parker, the one guy who really deserves it, will probably miss out.

Congratulations to all four, hope they do the Kangaroos proud.

All deserve to be there on talent - form shouldn't be the over-riding factor when it comes to representative footy.

Last edited:
but thaiday will be in the starting 13, guaranteed. gillett will probably be bench along with hannant. parker, the one guy who really deserves it, will probably miss out.

nah, Thaiday will no doubt con his way into the team but I honestly can't see Gillett getting into the team and I think Hannant is a pretty low chance too.

as bad as Sheens is, I'm sure that he won't select Gillett ahead of better backrowers like Myles, Gallen, Lewis, Bird, Watmough, Hoffman. then you can almost guarantee that there will be a few selections from which ever team does well in the finals. So depending on who gets through to the Grand Final you'll probably see McQueen and Teo, or Stewart or Cordner getting preference over Gillett. The selectors always love to stack the touring team with players from the Grand Finalists.

Much the same with Hannant.

I think you're correct about Thaiday getting in and Parker possibly getting shafted but I definitely think you're overstating the possibility of Gillett and Hannant getting in. I don't think either of them have gotten a huge amount of hype outside Brisbane and playing in a bottom 8 team will severely damage the slim chances of selection that they had.

Congratulations to all four, hope they do the Kangaroos proud.

All deserve to be there on talent - form shouldn't be the over-riding factor when it comes to representative footy.

Hmm, not sure I agree. By that reasoning Sandow should be in the squad...

Hmm, not sure I agree. By that reasoning Sandow should be in the squad...

I'm pretty sure that Pete means talent over short-term form, ie. getting away from this idea that the Australian team can only be picked from players who have been good for the last 4 weeks

I'm pretty sure that Pete means talent over short-term form, ie. getting away from this idea that the Australian team can only be picked from players who have been good for the last 4 weeks

Yeah, I should have added a sarcasm disclaimer.

Yeah, I should have added a sarcasm disclaimer.

haha, you probably didn't need to. Reading it through a second time I think I should have picked up on that as soon as you mentioned Sandow

Parker is the only one that completely deserves his selection but he probably won't make the top team but will get a run against the lower ranked teams one would hope. Thiaday will probably make the side even though his club form doesn't warrant, selectors love picking their favourites.

This is what I expect the top Australian team to be

1: Billy Slater
2: Brett Morris
3: Josh Morris
4: Greg Inglis
5: Darius Boyd
6: Cooper Cronk
7: Jonathen Thurston
8: Matt Scott
9: Cameron Smith (Captain)
10: James Tamou
11: Greg Bird
12: Sam Thiaday
13: Paul Gallen

14: Kurt Gidley (I think that selection is bullshit and a waste of time)
15: Anthony Watmough
16: Luke Lewis
17: Nate Myles

surely Gidley doesn't get in. It looked like he broke his ankle against us and even if he hasn't, I don't think he is going to play another game for the Kngiths before the World Cup. Even with the selectors love fest for the guy I struggle to see him being named with so little football to his name in 2013.

I think the rest of your squad is pretty much spot on though. I reckon Hoffman will be a shoe-in though if Melbourne make it to the Grand Final.

surely Gidley doesn't get in. It looked like he broke his ankle against us and even if he hasn't, I don't think he is going to play another game for the Kngiths before the World Cup. Even with the selectors love fest for the guy I struggle to see him being named with so little football to his name in 2013.

I think the rest of your squad is pretty much spot on though. I reckon Hoffman will be a shoe-in though if Melbourne make it to the Grand Final.

It's not MY SQUAD it's the team I expect the selectors to pick. Mine would be pretty similar though with only a few differences. Hoffman deserves to be there instead of Thiaday (he might make the bench) I even reckon Bird, Hoffman and Watmough are better and more consistent than Thiaday as well.

It's not MY SQUAD it's the team I expect the selectors to pick.

yeah I know, I was speculating on your speculating, which I think is very close to what will be picked, with the possible exceptions of Gidley and Hoffman.

This needs two threads. One for pm's and one for world cup. Pm's : 1. Haynes 2. B Morris 3. Matt Gillett (short a centre) 4. J Crocker 5. K Gordon 6. A sezar 7. Albert Kelly 8. B hannant 9. Farah 10. Shilo 11. Taylor (same side as Kelly?) 12. Myles 13. Parker 14. Ryan James 15. Papali 16. Bird 17. Thaiday World cup: 1. Slater 2. B Morris 3. J Morris 4. Inglis 5. Hayne 6. J t 7. Cronk 8. Scott 9. Smith 10. Hannant 11. Bird 12. Myles 13. Gallen 14. Fifita 15. Watmoigh 16. Gillett/papalii/taylor16. Parker (depending on how Taylor/Gillett and papalii goin the pm's they get the 16. Spot with papalli most likely losing out due to versatility) edit* totally forgot Lewis. Probably replace bird with him. Also note this is the best team I can pick (taking injuries into account) not the team of the best players. Eg bird wouldn't have the impact of the bench that watmough or those other three would.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Hurrijo
  • Broncosgirl
  • lynx000
  • NSW stables
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • barker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.