Gotta Get Down On Friday

Twiztid

Twiztid

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2009
I know it isn't the Broncos fault as it is channel 9 choosing the games. It seems like the longer turn around of every Friday seems to be showing at the back end of a few games this year in the Broncos favour. The Broncos can kick up into another to gear to finish teams off or extend their lead while the other team just run out of puff.

It looked like the short turn around really hurt the Raiders. They came out pretty strong but at about the 20 minute mark hit a wall and Broncos just came back and basically held control from then on. As soon as Campo went off as well the Raiders were lost and looked like they were going through the motions of just finishing the match without any more injuries.

On the Broncos though, Corey Norman has really stood up this year and filling the shoes of Lockyer very nicely. The Broncos forwards have really been the stand out so far this year. They just hit hard in attack and defence and teams just can't get past them to hit the fringes as they hit just as hard. It kind of sucks as we want the Broncos to have a few bad seasons to see what it feels like, looks like 2012 isn't going to be it either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Round 7 Broncos v Raiders Post Match Discussion

Sick of this Friday night excuse.

Could it be, the Broncos actually just somehow, got the better of the Raiders and without Campese they had no reply?

Sick of this Friday night excuse.

Could it be, the Broncos actually just somehow, got the better of the Raiders and without Campese they had no reply?

It could be both personally. The Broncos did play really well and you can't deny that. However you also can't hide the fact that you are getting a huge advantage from the same weekly turn around, which isn't the Broncos fault. However it seems to be showing at the later stages of games as most teams look buggered, the Broncos still have that bit more in the tank to see them through. I have no issues with a live game featuring a Qld team on Friday but show the Titans or the Cowboys to even up the turn around between teams.

I am pretty sure the Dragons had a similar Friday night schedule at the start of the 2010 season and for the first 6 rounds (all Friday nights) were 5 - 1. So maybe there is some truth behind it. As I said it isn't the Broncos fault, they just play the day they are told to play but something needs to be done to mix up both the money to be generated from FTA games for the club sponsors and for the rehab of the players.

Considering we won a premiership with the least amount of Friday night games (4 in 2006) I just think it's an excuse concocted by the NSW media to drum up an anti-Brisbane agenda.

Technically it's an advantage...but it's minor and no where near as important as you'd like to believe.

Before tonight, the Broncos had conceded the last try on two consecutive occasions.

FMD, this Friday excuse is certainly popping up its ugly head now that the Broncos are going so well.

Funny how no one seems to mention that the Broncos, as well as the other Qld teams, NZ and Storm, have to travel twice as much and probably do 4x the mileage of any NSW team (including the Raiders and Knights), but I guess that has no impact on the body...

It could be both personally. The Broncos did play really well and you can't deny that. However you also can't hide the fact that you are getting a huge advantage from the same weekly turn around, which isn't the Broncos fault. However it seems to be showing at the later stages of games as most teams look buggered, the Broncos still have that bit more in the tank to see them through. I have no issues with a live game featuring a Qld team on Friday but show the Titans or the Cowboys to even up the turn around between teams.

I am pretty sure the Dragons had a similar Friday night schedule at the start of the 2010 season and for the first 6 rounds (all Friday nights) were 5 - 1. So maybe there is some truth behind it. As I said it isn't the Broncos fault, they just play the day they are told to play but something needs to be done to mix up both the money to be generated from FTA games for the club sponsors and for the rehab of the players.

Obviously ch9 want to have a QLD team play in one of the Friday night games to show it live into QLD, and they're going to choose the team that rates the highest ... like it or not rugby league is a business now we could make it so every team has an equal share of Friday night and sunday FTA games, but that would likely mean lower ratings .... lower ratings translates into a lower TV deal .... a lower TV deal translates into a lower salary cap .... a lower salary cap translates into something else for people to whinge about (probably the same people whinging about the Broncos always playing Friday night).

I mean how many people would realistically want to watch a match like we saw between the Knights and Eels last week. could you imagine if that was Friday night footy. the Titans aren't going any better. that just leaves the Cowboys and they seem very hot and cold, at least nine has a good idea what they will get from the Broncos every week.

Considering we won a premiership with the least amount of Friday night games (4 in 2006) I just think it's an excuse concocted by the NSW media to drum up an anti-Brisbane agenda.

Technically it's an advantage...but it's minor and no where near as important as you'd like to believe.

Before tonight, the Broncos had conceded the last try on two consecutive occasions.

all the haters were so sure we would be going poorly without Locky this year, now that we aren't they need to find an excuse.

on another forum as well as the Friday night thing people are whinging about Alf being on the field to much (although their biggest concern seems to be he is just too good at his job and other teams don't have runners like Alfie :shake:)

Obviously ch9 want to have a QLD team play in one of the Friday night games to show it live into QLD, and they're going to choose the team that rates the highest ... like it or not rugby league is a business now we could make it so every team has an equal share of Friday night and sunday FTA games, but that would likely mean lower ratings .... lower ratings translates into a lower TV deal .... a lower TV deal translates into a lower salary cap .... a lower salary cap translates into something else for people to whinge about (probably the same people whinging about the Broncos always playing Friday night).

I mean how many people would realistically want to watch a match like we saw between the Knights and Eels last week. could you imagine if that was Friday night footy. the Titans aren't going any better. that just leaves the Cowboys and they seem very hot and cold, at least nine has a good idea what they will get from the Broncos every week.

Yes I am fully aware Rugby League is a business but so are every Rugby League team on their own and FTA exposure brings bigger sponsors. The Broncos play every Friday night at the moment is great for 9 for ratings (in QLD anyways), Broncos sponsors and IMO it is giving a little advantage on the field with the good turn around.

I am not doubting that a QLD team can't have a Live Friday game. However they have to mix up the 3 QLD teams to be fair across the board. Plus I frankly didn't want to see the Dragons vs Knights match today as I knew it was going to be a borefest and ended up watching the Broncos vs Raiders game via a live stream.

As I said earlier though, the Broncos are playing great footy and that can't be denied.

Last edited:

The problem is the Cowboys prefer playing their home games on Saturdays & the Titans simply don't deserve the premier time slot. The Broncos management and fans would rather Sunday games but given the current format it's rarely forthcoming.

I just find this whole 7 day turn around excuse a bit rich and doesn't deserve the attention it gets. It just comes across as sour grapes when we've secured an impressive 6-1 start.

The problem is the Cowboys prefer playing their home games on Saturdays & the Titans simply don't deserve the premier time slot. The Broncos management and fans would rather Sunday games but given the current format it's rarely forthcoming.

I just find this whole 7 day turn around excuse a bit rich and doesn't deserve the attention it gets. It just comes across as sour grapes when we've secured an impressive 6-1 start.

Pretty sure every team wants a Friday and Sunday game.

As I said earlier the 2010 Dragons team started out with the same routine and had a similar start to their season. So it might play a part in early success. Success must still be earned on the field and the Broncos have done it, just as the Dragons did and I am pretty sure people complained about the Dragons getting the similar treatment back then. The Broncos fans seem to be a bit more defensive of the issue.

I personally think it is a huge advantage. In a game day sense it's a little bit of an advantage - away games we take the red eye out and the boys are home by early Saturday. They get to spend a full week of prep in Brisbane with no short prep weeks due to flying in late Sunday/Monday. Recovery sessions can be fit in before the weekend is over etc. I do think it will have it's disadvantages when we deviate to a different time slot though.

However, the real advantage is in the exposure it provides. Instead of watching the Titans or Cowboys, people that are watching footy are see the Broncos. I can't begin to explain how awesome this is for things like sponsors and attracting new fans.

What about teams like Souths who have got 4 games out of the 10 where there is an 8 and 9 game turn-around? They don't have to do as much travelling and they get bigger break between matches. If you want to talk recovery, prep and travel then getting 8-9 day breaks as a Sydney team is MUCH more of an advantage than a Brisbane team getting 7 day break every week.

Definitely. But that is partly due to being a Sydney team, rather than the actual length of their turnaround. Personally, I think a 5 day turn-around is cause for a little bit of excuse, but anything more than that it really shouldn't matter.

I maintain that the off the field benefits are massive though. We basically get to saturate the QLD market. Sure the Cowboys will still have their thousands of core fans that their demographic serves, and the Titans still have their dozens of core fans their demo serves, but basically everyone else is exposed to the Broncos primarily. Compare that to Souths who have to compete in a market with many more teams with almost no primetime exposure.

I don't really think it's so much the turnaround as it is the routine. Ours can be like clockwork really. Of course, that also means we are [supposedly] immensely more disadvantaged if we don't have a Friday Night game. That said, unless it's a 5 day turnaround with travel (like the Raiders had) then I don't really think it's an objectionable advantage. We weren't advantaged by having a Friday Night game really, it's just that the Raiders were disadvantaged by having a short week with travel (IMO). It also doesn't count as an excuse to explain the crap they served up tonight either!

I dunno man, having a pretty good team is the best advantage.

Re: Round 7 - Broncos vs Raiders - Post Match Discussion

I dunno man, having a pretty good team is the best advantage.
QFT

But let's not allow facts to get in the way of a good rant...

Let's have a look at details then.

R1. Vs Parra at Parra. 1.5 hour flight (including on and off etc) and an hour drive to base camp. 2.5 hours. Both teams fresh.
R2. Vs Cowboys at Home. Cowboys played Saturday so 5 days after between matches. No travel
R3. Vs Knights at Newcastle. Newcastle played Sunday so 4 days. An hour flight and 10 min drive.
R4. Vs Souths in Perth. Souths played Sunday so 4 days and did promotional things in Perth so routine was disrupted. Both teams flew the 3 hours and 30 mins to drive. I don't know what promotional things the Broncos did.
R5 Vs Dragons at Home. Dragons played Saturday so 5 days. No travel.
R6 Vs Tigers at SFS. Tigers played Sunday so 4 days. 1.5 hour flight and 30 min drive.
R7 Vs Raiders at Home. Raiders played Sunday so 4 days. No travel.

I am working it out as the first day for recovery is the next day after a match and their last recovery day is the day before the match day, so I don't include the game days in the numbers.

So for all the other matches. Friday to Friday for the Broncos is 6 days. They played a fresh team with a good time off between trials and won. The have played 2 teams with a 5 day gap and are 1-1 (should have really been 2 - 0). They have played 4 teams with 4 day gap and have won all of them.

As I said. I am not disputing that the victories are not worthy, as the Broncos are playing great footy and frankly shouldn't have even lost to the Cowboys. However it is an interesting stat to see and maybe it doesn't matter, but what if it did.

Maybe to put this whole theory if someone really has the time and the patience. Is to do what I just did for every team for this season so far, 2011 and maybe the Dragons 2010 team. Just to see which teams are really getting the advantages. It might break a part the idea some what as a problem I see is it doesn't take into account for the weather and the injuries, resting or suspensions of key players.

Last edited:

Like Rocky said, painting that picture about travelling is a bad joke. Travel is exhausting!

From home (or base camp) to the stadium doesn't take 1.5 hours, it takes easily 4 hours carrying luggage around at airports, waiting for the body scan, waiting at the gate, sitting in cramped quarters in the plane for 1.5 hours at the very least (from gate to gate), waiting for luggage at arrival, sitting another hour in a cramped bus to the stadium, to finally start getting ready for the game. Then there's the repeat trip back...

I have to travel frequently to Sydney where my company's APAC main office is located, and generally stay one or two nights in a hotel. Basically, out of 3 days, I only effectively work 2, and it tires me more than a full 5 day work week just normally commuting from home on the Gold Coast to my office in South Brisbane.

I don't really think the travel is a significant factor but I think Twiztid made a good point - we play a few teams who only have a short 5 day turnaround. Routine aside, I think in terms of recovery, getting to play a team with less than 6 days break is always a bonus.

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • Morkel
  • Jazza
  • Santa
  • Sproj
  • jd87
  • Jedhead
  • MrMoore
  • BroncosAlways
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
  • KnToad
  • Brocko
  • Manifesto
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • LittleDavey
  • Stix
  • Fitzy
  • bert_lifts
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.