Gotta Get Down On Friday

Twiztid

Twiztid

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2009
Re: Round 7 Broncos v Raiders Post Match Discussion

Dude please. 1.5 flight and 30 min drive? Surely you understand travel a bit better than that. IN AIR it might be 1.5 hours, but getting on the plane, waiting for take off, landing, getting off plane, getting through airport etc is MUCH MUCH more than just 1.5 hours. Not to mention, like I said earlier, travel is exhausting.
They are very basic examples to give a figure on how much time is spent travelling and yes, travelling is exhausting but every team is doing it and the extra hour or two is the only draw back for the non Sydney based teams.
It's not an advantage. It has nothing to do with our success. In this day and age, when you have players that are hell fit and you have state of the art technology, multiple different types of coaches and modern day advanced techniques for conditioning and recovery, routine means absolutely crap all.

Maybe in the 70's or 80's you might have a point, but not in this day and age with how professional and advanced our sport is.

The body hasn't changed much in the last 40 years. The science of understanding of how the body works and how to manage it obviously has. Yet, the body still needs time to heal, this can be helped along with the science.

Every player is managed differently due to the wide range of body types around in the NRL at the moment. Players are now built and maintained to be fitter and create the best possible athlete for their body size. The building is done in the pre-season and maintained during the season.

So if routine wasn't important they wouldn't have recovery sessions early after a match or early the next day, massages, physio, meal management, rest days etc. IMO routine plays a very big part of player management to get them back on the field at a least 90%. Having a good routine doesn't automatically mean success and that still needs to earned out on the field. So far the Broncos have done that. Yet they have had a fairly good routine so far this year compared to the teams they have played.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008

It could be both personally. The Broncos did play really well and you can't deny that. However you also can't hide the fact that you are getting a huge advantage from the same weekly turn around, which isn't the Broncos fault. However it seems to be showing at the later stages of games as most teams look buggered, the Broncos still have that bit more in the tank to see them through. I have no issues with a live game featuring a Qld team on Friday but show the Titans or the Cowboys to even up the turn around between teams.

I am pretty sure the Dragons had a similar Friday night schedule at the start of the 2010 season and for the first 6 rounds (all Friday nights) were 5 - 1. So maybe there is some truth behind it. As I said it isn't the Broncos fault, they just play the day they are told to play but something needs to be done to mix up both the money to be generated from FTA games for the club sponsors and for the rehab of the players.

I agree with you about sharing it around, the problem is that the Cowboys do not want friday night games because of the impact it has on their crowds, they whinge like stuck pigs whenever they get a friday night game. The difficulty with the Titans for the last couple of years is that they have been so meh in terms of their form, that other then diehard tits fans no one wants to watch them. It becomes a fairly easy choice for Channel Nine in that case.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Re: Round 7 - Broncos vs Raiders - Post Match Discussion

I love how people whinge about this. For gods sake, everyone playing in the NRL is considered a professional athlete. If you can't handle it, get a better player, or better coaches to prepare them for a 5 day turn around.

Or hell, start playing decent football, start attracting decent rating, then, just then, you can have your games on a Friday night like the Broncos.

It s a pathetic excuse by teams losing to the Broncos. Instead of "they have half the QLD team", it's "they get a 7 day turn around". Any excuse will do when you're a sub-par team it seems.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

And also. Maybe the Broncos are just a well drilled team.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

It's not like we play Friday nights and our opponents are coming off the Monday night game. I am yet to hear any clubs complain about it?

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

And also. Maybe the Broncos are just a well drilled team.
Oh come on Nashy, now you're just being silly, throwing facts at this and all...

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

****, delete thread. sick of this ****.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Pretty sure every team wants a Friday and Sunday game.

As I said earlier the 2010 Dragons team started out with the same routine and had a similar start to their season. So it might play a part in early success. Success must still be earned on the field and the Broncos have done it, just as the Dragons did and I am pretty sure people complained about the Dragons getting the similar treatment back then. The Broncos fans seem to be a bit more defensive of the issue.

That's because the Dragons weren't hounded about it as much as the Broncos have been. We've had to put up with this crap for months and it's been all over tv, the papers & message boards usually from the same petty anti-Broncos fans who have to find something to muddy the integrity of their victory.

No one doubts there isn't an advantage but what's never addressed is the disadvantages. If we received more Sunday games we'd draw higher attendances & probably be able to improve our F&A playing at a time slot that actually benefits our free flowing gamestyle.

But what you and others don't seem to understand is that timing is everything. Coming out with that point and giving it as much thought as you did really just reeks of desperation and sour grapes. Despite the disagreement, I still respect you as a poster Twiz and like your POV but on this occasion it would have been a better idea to have waited a few days before addressing such a topic.

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I think the argument is a bit circular. As Big Pete said, yes there are advantages. But for every advantage there is also a disadvantage. Eg:

- The ability to develop a solid, weekly routine is probably an advantage, but when they're forced out of this routine (most importantly in the finals) will they be able to handle the change?

- The Broncos don't have to deal with short turnarounds, but they also don't get the longer (8 or 9 days) turnarounds that other clubs frequently get.

I can't argue with the fact that the constant FTA games are financially beneficial (and it's probably even more annoying for other clubs because the Broncos wouldn't have trouble attracting sponsorship regardless), but I really don't think there's a lot that can be done about that. Especially with the TV rights deal looking to increase significantly next year, the network is going to want viewers for their dollar. The Broncos are a fool proof ratings draw - Brisbane folk love to watch them win and Sydneysiders love to see them beaten.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I think the argument is a bit circular. As Big Pete said, yes there are advantages. But for every advantage there is also a disadvantage. Eg:

- The ability to develop a solid, weekly routine is probably an advantage, but when they're forced out of this routine (most importantly in the finals) will they be able to handle the change?

- The Broncos don't have to deal with short turnarounds, but they also don't get the longer (8 or 9 days) turnarounds that other clubs frequently get.

I can't argue with the fact that the constant FTA games are financially beneficial (and it's probably even more annoying for other clubs because the Broncos wouldn't have trouble attracting sponsorship regardless), but I really don't think there's a lot that can be done about that. Especially with the TV rights deal looking to increase significantly next year, the network is going to want viewers for their dollar. The Broncos are a fool proof ratings draw - Brisbane folk love to watch them win and Sydneysiders love to see them beaten.

Exactly. While game scheduling is determined by Channel 9 the Broncos will continue to enjoy the bulk of free to air broadcasts. They're the highest rating, most popular rugby league team nationwide. Even in Sydney they rate well. Channel 9 aren't dumb.

IMO it'd be fairer if the NRL did all the scheduling, as do the AFL, but until the NRL has the balls and bargaining capability to get that into the deal it's a dream, nothing more.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Even when they new Broadcast deal comes in the Broncos will still play the majority Friday night games IMO.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The truth is, we've been one of the best sides in the competition since we've been admitted. Yes, that sounds arrogant but success breeds interest.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
We don't have poor years twiztid, it's a culture here that breeds success.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Twiztid is just making excuses early, for when Souths miss out on the 8 again.

Twiztid

Twiztid

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2009
We don't have poor years twiztid, it's a culture here that breeds success.

Sorry? We don't? Don't try and compare yourself to these supporters. You were pretty quick to drop the Roosters and jump onto the Broncos whenever you moved to QLD. I bet their success had a fair bit to do with that decision.

Twiztid is just making excuses early, for when Souths miss out on the 8 again.
Am I making any excuses for Souths? Tell me where? I have not said 1 thing about Souths in this whole thread, the only person who has compared anything Souths has been Rocky. You have no other angle to hit me with so go straight for Souths. Well done, it isn't like I haven't heard it all before and I still come back every week and follow this team. I don't know where Souths are going to finish and even if we don't make the 8 again, I will still be there along for the ride.

During this whole thread I have never talked down the Broncos victories, I have said all were well earned. I was simply bringing in the idea that the routine from playing every Friday night game so far this year, the same idea that the media and other fans are talking about is helping the Broncos reach another gear near the end of a match against teams with the short turn around. The media and fans had similar attitudes against the Dragons in 2010, yet I was not on a Dragons forum in 2010 to talk about it.

As I have also always said this is not the Broncos fault but the NRL who are letting 9 dictate this schedule due to the ratings they want from the QLD audience.

Anyways, I can't add anything more. I wrote a completely different post on my phone and it was deleted when I posted it, so this is all I can bothered going over again, as I am just restating things I already posted earlier on in this thread.

Last edited:
Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
Nope Broncos are just a good young side who have surprised a few people including myself.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I'm also not buying the travel crap that's being thrown either. Yeah, travel is tiring. But seriously, the Broncos go to a room, are all marched through security, marched onto the plane, and it's what, an hour to Sydney? No big deal when you get special treatment through corporate sports travel bookings.

Even the Toyota Cup players get this treatment.

Active Now

• Strop
  • lakers133334
  • kat00
  • Spoon
  • pennywisealfie
  • broncsgoat
  • Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  • TwoLeftFeet
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.