Hodges eyes Number 1

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
http://www.broncos.com.au/news-display/Hodges-Eyes-Number-One/65816

"INSPIRED by a breakout season from superstar Greg Inglis, Brisbane Test centre Justin Hodges is keen to move to fullback to help end the Broncos' title drought in 2013.

Hodges revealed he was so keen to get an opportunity to play fullback next season that he'd actually begun preseason training a few weeks earlier than his teammates, knowing he would need to increase his aerobic fitness to become a constant attacking menace for the Broncos."

what do we think?

apart from adding more to the selection dramas, i just dont know if he could cut it there for 80 minutes week in week out. if it were to happen, what do you do with hoffman? hes not a centre, so wing would be the only other option. in an age of giant wingers though, hoffman could get manhandled.

He'd have to loose a lot of his bulk to get to an acceptable speed. Which then takes away one of his biggest strengths in his size. I don't think he should be considered. But sure, let him trial there.

It's being discussed in the Josh Hoffman thread I think.
As I said in there, I think it's good because it'll put the fear of (as broncospwn refers to Hodges) God into Hoffman and Norman who are eyeing off that number 1 jersey. It also provides motivation to Copley who has long coveted a starting centre spot that there might be an opportunity for him.
I like it. It's Hodges putting a cat among the pigeons.

I don't like it. We've got a lot of options, and picking him would be like chucking them all in the bin. I don't think he'd be anywhere near as effective as he was 6 years ago, and I don't really think he'd offer anything different to what Hoffman does. Without Lockyer, it has become painfully obvious how important it is to have ball players at fullback. Hodges isn't really one.

I do like how this article more or less says that the Broncos realise that the way Hoffman played was just unacceptable.

I can deal with it. All things equal, he's the best fullback on our books. Whether it throws the balance off, however...

I think Hodgo is deceptively quick. But a few kgs less would certainly help, and possibly also lighten the load on his muscles and tendons, especially his hammys...

Still, I'd prefer Norman to take the position, as long as he gets a lot of defense practice done. I think his instinct to show up on right spot, ability to break the line, and his ball handling skills as well as his kicking are a very good base for the job. He's also strong and although not the quickest, he's quick enough...

A spine of Macca, Prince, Wallace (or Hunt, depending on form) and Norman could be a good base for a premiership winning team!

I don't like it. We've got a lot of options, and picking him would be like chucking them all in the bin. I don't think he'd be anywhere near as effective as he was 6 years ago, and I don't really think he'd offer anything different to what Hoffman does. Without Lockyer, it has become painfully obvious how important it is to have ball players at fullback. Hodges isn't really one.

I do like how this article more or less says that the Broncos realise that the way Hoffman played was just unacceptable.
He setup two tries in 5 minutes in the position, as far as ball playing fullbacks go there's no one in our team who goes close to Hodges. He did in his 10 minute stint at fullback what Hoffman couldn't do in a season. He's by far our best option there and with a full off season of training he could easily adapt to the position. I'd love to see him there in a few trial games that's the only way we'll know if he has what it takes but he looked very good in the short period he played this season so who's to say he wouldn't be great if he spent a full off season training for that position.

Don't think he is up to a full time switch, but can't see why he shouldn't spend 10mins or so there each half when we are on attack. Let Hoffman defuse the bombs and take the heavy contact on kick returns, but the odd injection of Hodges at fullback on attack would give him a free reign to roam and bob up around the ball. Hoffman could deputise in the centres in attack without too much trouble.

As mentioned by others in 10mins there during our disappointing finals appearance, he did more than Hoffman managed in the other 70mins regarding attack. Hodges ran a perfect line for a second man play try... holding the pass up and delivering a well time cut out pass to put the winger over.

He is a class above the other outside backs... but don't think his body would handle the extra workload to move there full time...

A couple of points:

1. Hodges effort's in the final ten minutes of a finals game we had already lost comfortably is not a true test of his ability as a full time fullback
2. 2006 - 7 years ago, the game has moved on and Hodges has slowed dramatically.

That said, it's not a completely stupid idea. Returning the ball, a good fullback can rotate the work through himself and his two wingers - KHunt used to do it well, as does Billy Slater.

Under the high ball, IMO the ability of your wingers under the high ball is a more important consideration than your fullbacks. Not often you see an attacking kick aimed at the fullback with the point of a one on one contest.

I've always been a fan of the old montage of getting your best 17 on the park and let positions sort themselves out. I think Copley and Maranta deserve a position based on effort and form in the 3/4 line ahead of Norman and Hoffman, so this backline might work:

1. Hodges
2. Maranta
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Yow Yeh
6. Wallace
7. Prince

Replace Hunt with Norman. That way he could cover Hodges and if Macca still can't play 80 he could go to 5/8th and Wal would move to Hooker? Does that sound feasible to anyone else?

At the very least it's saying to Hook I'm your best attacking option, don't waste me. Griffin will hopefully pick him at fullback or change our attack to get him more ball and early ball.

If we play the same way as last year Hofman may be the answer in the centres, by all reports he played brilliant footy for the fins there this year and the 15 mins or so he spent there for us was very good as well.

At the very least it's saying to Hook I'm your best attacking option, don't waste me. Griffin will hopefully pick him at fullback or change our attack to get him more ball and early ball.

If we play the same way as last year Hofman may be the answer in the centres, by all reports he played brilliant footy for the fins there this year and the 15 mins or so he spent there for us was very good as well.

I agree, I actually think centre is hoffman's true position

I agree, I actually think centre is hoffman's true position

A fit Hodges 1 on 1 on the fringe, as often as possible, is the best attacking option the Broncos will have in 2013 (and have had for the past 9 years).

Hodges first try versus Storm round 24 this year is the template. Build pressure, thin the defence to the left, swing it to the right, second man play to Norman, ball to Hodges on the outside of his man, trademark Hodges right foot step back inside, left arm push off the cover defence, right arm free for the offload if the winger comes in, if not bulldoze on the opposition centre/fullback, score.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-fighting-weight/story-e6frep76-1226519854408

Hoffman said he was surprised to pick up The Sunday Mail two weeks ago and read that State of Origin centre Justin Hodges wanted to be the Broncos fullback.

"He kept it quiet actually," Hoffman said. "It came out in the paper and I thought 'wow, I need to go hard'.

"He wants to rekindle the fire I guess. It is a good challenge for myself.

"Last year, not doing so well made me want to do a lot better in pre-season this year.

"It's not just Hodgo, there's other guys too like Joe Bond and Jordan Kahu who can play fullback."

Hoffman, whose mother is indigenous while his father is from New Zealand, is desperate to oust Barba from the Indigenous All Stars team this year.

"Playing in that All Stars game would be a dream but it's tough when Benny (Barba) is there and he has so many fans," Hoffman said.

"Hopefully Broncos fans get behind me."

Hoffman needs to forget about strength and size, and possibly lose some weight to gain agility and pace, and also work on his passing skills. Seems like everyone in our side only cares about strength, with the thousands of articles that were coming out about it before the start of last season. It's fine for the forwards I guess, but it's not what a fullback needs.

Not sure if you read the article or not but he basically said he was playing 5-6kg's above his playing weight two years ago and he wants to get back to that, which is the same weight Barba is now.

Holy shit Barba is 92kg's, he seriously looks tiny on TV

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.