Madden's night-shift extras have Broncos No.7 primed

BHQArticleImageLarge43

Brisbane half Jock Madden engages in extra kicking drill sessions under lights on his day off each week in a quest to succeed as the replacement for Adam Reynolds.

On Wednesday night ahead of the Magic Round clash with Manly at Suncorp Stadium, the 24-year-old was fine-tuning his kicking game at the club's Red Hill training base.

Two days ahead of each game Madden, on the players' rostered free day, will take a teammate or staff member with him for his night shift to get used to the vagaries of kicking in the evenings, when most Broncos games are played.

Most of the matches he has played in the Queensland Cup when not required by the Broncos take place in daylight.

Madden's attention to detail and thirst for improvement are a huge boost to the Broncos as they prepare to be without Reynolds for three months as he recovers from a ruptured biceps.

The former Wests Tigers playmaker has had limited opportunities to work into a rhythm in the NRL. He has replaced either Reynolds or No.6 Ezra Mam when they have been injured.

Madden has played nine NRL games for the Broncos in two seasons, but the most in a row is three.

"Jock is very good with his commitment and has gradually got better for us over time," coach Kevin Walters said.

"I like the way he defends. He is very brave and a good fast mover on his feet, so that's a big thing for him. He is back this week, so it's good news for us.

"This is an extended period for him, which will make him settle and manage the team the way that Jock does. He just needs to kick well, tackle well and pass well.

"He has all those skill sets and I'm looking forward to seeing that on Friday night."

Madden missed last week's win over Parramatta with a pectoral injury. Josh Rogers stepped in as halfback and went well, but Madden is a player backed by Walters to be a long-term Broncos half once Reynolds retires.

Canberra Times

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Having no Walsh to take the focus off him, Jock will be in for a real stiff test tonight. I'm hoping Staggs can lift his game even further and threaten their line at every possible opportunity. He has been playing some great footy in terms of hard carries and solid defence, but we need his attacking prowess to come to the fore tonight. We also need to see big Payno bending his back in defence and shaking the shit out of their pack's confidence.

If Gary catches an early bomb cleanly then I expect him to have a great game in terms of yardage to make up for Cobbo's missing carries from centre.

Aside form all the hoping, and expecting and wanting....just please God no more frikkin injuries!!!

Put these guys away early please so our Paddy can have an early shower boys.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I think historically it was always considered that Cooper Cronk was no natural super star, but instead, worked very, very hard on his game to become extremely proficient in the basic half skills.

Good signs that Jock is taking it upon himself to do the extra work.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
I think historically it was always considered that Cooper Cronk was no natural super star, but instead, worked very, very hard on his game to become extremely proficient in the basic half skills.

Good signs that Jock is taking it upon himself to do the extra work.
Wasn't Cronk one of those players that didn't really have a set position and they turned him into a halfback?
May be wrong and it could be Croft I'm thinking of.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Wasn't Cronk one of those players that didn't really have a set position and they turned him into a halfback?
May be wrong and it could be Croft I'm thinking of.

you are correct sir.

I believe he played a few positions in the QLD cup, Bellamy turned him into a halfback when Orford left.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Same thing he did with Hughes. The guy was a gun fullback, I don't think anyone thought he would become such a good halfback as well.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Big Del
  • Lostboy
  • broncsgoat
  • Fozz
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Alec
  • Froosh
  • Waynesaurus
  • Painin the Haas
  • Footy Fanatic
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.