Hoffman negotiations on hold

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
JOSH Hoffman has put contract extension talks on hold after Brisbane's signing of Ben Barba left him hurting and uncertain about his future.
Barba will officially be a Bronco next year after the Bulldogs board on Wednesday agreed to rescind the final two years of his deal on compassionate grounds.
That cleared the path for the Broncos to secure Barba on a three-year deal and the Dally M Medallist will start his Brisbane career next season in the No.1 jumper.
Barba's acquisition has already created ructions, with Hoffman left bitterly disappointed after learning he will be moved from fullback to accommodate the Bulldog.
Broncos coach Anthony Griffin met the Kiwi Test fullback on Tuesday to personally tell him about Barba's impending arrival.
No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

While it's completely understandable, the kid obviously thinks he's better than what he really is. There is no denying his ability and talent, but we bought a better option.

Will he stay and play wing? Or if we don't get Milford, will he get a shot at 5/8?

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

While it's completely understandable, the kid obviously thinks he's better than what he really is. There is no denying his ability and talent, but we bought a better option.

Will he stay and play wing? Or if we don't get Milford, will he get a shot at 5/8?

Hoffman needs to realise yourself, YY and Barba as a back 3 is deadly and could potentially be the best back line in NRL. Wake up hoffy its a team game you should want the best players to play with you as it brings the best out of you and could help you get a premiership.

And he will play for the team while his here like he has done this season but you can't hold a grudge against him if he wants to play fullback and his chances are better elsewhere for that to happen.

Parker said on radio that it's a team sport and you have to play wherever is best for the team. I wholeheartedly agree, if Hoffman doesn't want to re-sign so be it, we want team players, not individuals.

Break out the tissues , think he is great but am getting sick of these players sooking cause they don't get there way. Look at Hodges wanted to play fullback and didn't get the chance so turned himself into one of the best centers in the game .

I like Hoffman but he can catch the bus with Norman if he is going to throw his toys out of his cot over Barba signing.

Is this the same Hodges who chucked a hissy fit cause the Broncos dared to give a longterm option a go because he had signed to play with the Roosters, going so far as to bring in ACA/Today Tonight to try to shame the club and make some money from it.

Honestly Hoffman has a right to be disappointed, he got replaced by Norman who at best did a half assed job and went running to the market immediately to play 5/8th, everyone here wanted him dropped when it became obvious he was just killing time, no interest to actually put in 100% while there. Hoffman may have been pissed off about it but he still went out there on the wing or the centres and gave it his best. Yes signing Barba was the right option for the team, but Hoffman has the right as an individual to decide where his future lies, can't hold a grudge against him when his still putting in regardless of how he feels.

Last edited:
Yeah it is and he has said it was a mistake

Hopefully this all gets resolved - I'm a fan of Hoffman but you can't knock back a player like Barba.

I don't blame Hoffman for holding off negotiations at this point. Why sell himself short, when he could be earning fullback money elsewhere? Hopefully it's just business but if not I can understand his POV.

I just hope the Broncos don't bend over backwards to placate him and I see nothing in his game to suggest he'd make a quality five eigth.

He can go play fullback for the Panthers. See how far that gets him in his career.

I'm a fan of Hoffman, but not as a fullback. There is honestly 10 fullbacks in the comp better than him, kidding himself if he thinks the club shouldn't have signed Hoffman for his feelings.

The bloke has the potential to be one of the best wingers in the comp (and has shown it), if he doesn't want to stay around and do that for the team, he can go play fullback at.... I don't even know a team he'd knock their first choice fullback off, maybe he can just go to the bulldogs.

Can't believe the number of people already painting Hoffman as a sook/crybaby/selfish player. it is his career and he wants to make the most of it. he hasn't spat the dummy and said he refuses to sign or pulled a Blake Ferguson, he is well within his rights to look after himself and try to get the best deal.

this stuff about it being a team game is nonsense. nobody on here would accept their boss telling them 'this company is a team so stop worrying about yourself as an individual and suck it up. Now sign on the dotted line and accept your lot'.

Feel a bit sorry for Hoffman TBH. He's never given less than 100%, and in stark contrast he's only had one bad season (and has looked awesome every other season) whereas in contrast Barba has only had one good season. People always say they'd rather reward effort and heart over talent, but I guess that is only true to a point.

I am 100% sure that we had to sign Barba, we'd have been foolish not to, but if we do lose Hoffman it will be a shame & I can see why he'd feel kicked in the guts. Who knows, it's probably all very raw at the moment, he copped it on the chin with Norman, maybe he'll come around and realise that just because you're a winger doesn't mean you're less of a player.

Can't believe the number of people already painting Hoffman as a sook/crybaby/selfish player. it is his career and he wants to make the most of it. he hasn't spat the dummy and said he refuses to sign or pulled a Blake Ferguson, he is well within his rights to look after himself and try to get the best deal.

this stuff about it being a team game is nonsense. nobody on here would accept their boss telling them 'this company is a team so stop worrying about yourself as an individual and suck it up. Now sign on the dotted line and accept your lot'.

Has been in and out of the fullback position for 4 years now. You want the spot? Play better. Would like to see where he is ranked on people's top 10 fullbacks list. Would be lucky to make it on mine.

The last few years we have finished 6th, 10th, 3rd, 8th and we are 13th at the moment. Play time is over.

I won't believe this until I see a quote from someone involved. It's too ridiculous.

Not saying he should not look after himself money wise but don't they play the game to win premierships , tests world cups etc so why sulk when you get someone that can help the cause and knowing you can help by doing a job in a different position

Not saying he should not look after himself money wise but don't they play the game to win premierships , tests world cups etc so why sulk when you get someone that can help the cause and knowing you can help by doing a job in a different position

Maybe back when they had a fulltime job and league was a good way to make some money on the side and play the game they love but they are professionals now, it's how they make their living this way and if they want better they are entitled to look elsewhere as anyone in any other job is entitled to. If my boss said I was now a janitor(and I'm not saying playing out on the wing or in the centres is beneath him, rather a different role) at my work I don't know how I would take it, I may even look at my options which I'd be entitled to.

Last edited:
Has been in and out of the fullback position for 4 years now. You want the spot? Play better. Would like to see where he is ranked on people's top 10 fullbacks list. Would be lucky to make it on mine.

The last few years we have finished 6th, 10th, 3rd, 8th and we are 13th at the moment. Play time is over.

Just a rough list of the fullbacks i'd have over Hoffman (roughly in skill order)
1. Inglis
2. Slater
3. Dugan
4. Barba
5. Hayne
6. Gordon
7. Boyd
8. Zillman
9. Milford
10. Tuivasa-Sheck (Despite limited games at fullback)
11. Stewart
12. Coote
13. Moylan
14. Tedesco
15. Reece Robinson

Then there's fill in blokes who don't always play there, like both the Morris brothers, Jason Nightingale, etc. That id take at fullback over him.

In terms of on the wing, i'd only put a few players in front of Hoffman.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Broncorob
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Galah
  • TimWhatley
  • Mister Wright
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Gaz
  • Allo
  • BruiserMk1
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Battler
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.