"Hoffy isn't the guy for Fullback" - Hodges

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I don't want him to leave, but he needs to go to centre or wing, he is a great player and IMO he is better to those positions then fullback.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
It's a Rothfield article - it neither proves or disproves anything. Even if you don't know anything else about him his credibility is shot as soon as he starts talking about Hoffman being on $400,000 a season.

Last edited:
MrMoore

MrMoore

NRL Player
Jul 27, 2011
bla bla bla Justin Hoffman bla bla bla, that is all I read.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
No way Hoffman is worth $400 000 a year he would only be worth $300 000 at the most.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
No way Hoffman is worth $400 000 a year he would only be worth $300 000 at the most.
Most articles written by hacks like Rothfield grossly overestimate player salaries because:
a) It makes their fabricated stories have more substance.
b) They only use other inflated salary guesses for comparison, and never take into account the other player salaries on the team.
c) They don't think about when a player signed their current contract, both in relation to form/profile at the time and the salary cap for that year.
d) They assume that playing for QLD, NSW or NZ makes you a highly paid superstar.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs pounce on unhappy Brisbane fullback Josh Hoffman
Phil Rothfield
The Daily Telegraph
November 20, 2013 12:00AM

Ben Barba and Josh Hoffman. . The Brisbane Broncos vs the Canterbury Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane. Pic Peter Wallis
THE Bulldogs are preparing to pounce on disgruntled Broncos fullback Josh Hoffman as payback for stealing their Dally M superstar Ben Barba.

Bulldogs coach Des Hasler is aware the Kiwi World Cup star is unhappy in Brisbane and is working feverishly behind the scenes to get him to Belmore.

Canterbury has four players in the New Zealand tour party - Sam Kasiano, Frank Pritchard, Krisnan Inu and Greg Eastwood - who are quietly encouraging the blockbusting fullback to move to Sydney.

Hoffman has been out of sorts since Barba signed at the Broncos amid speculation he would be shunted to the wing.

"We're aware of Canterbury's interest," said one senior Broncos official.

"They're all over him.

"When you're on tour in another country for so long you build a bond with your team mates and the Canterbury boys have been working on him.

"But at this stage we don't want to release him."

Broncos Training at Red Hill. Justin Hoffman. Pic Mark Calleja
Still, the Broncos based their entire campaign to sign Barba on the fact he was unhappy in Sydney and wanted out from Canterbury.

It would be hard for them to stand in the way of one of their own players who clearly doesn't want to be there, just like Barba at the Bulldogs.

Since the end of the season, the Dogs have tried but failed to lure Parramatta's Jarryd Hayne and William Hopoate to Belmore to replace Barba.

They even went big-time for Wallaby star Israel Folau who eventually decided to stay with the Waratahs.

When those negotiations fell over, Hasler turned his attention to the blockbusting Broncos player.

Working in Canterbury's favour is the fact the Broncos need to free up cash to finalise their record bid for Australia's Test captain Cameron Smith.

Paying Hoffman $400,000-a-season to play on the wing is seen as too much money spread across the salary cap.

Josh Hoffman after Brisbane's loss during the round 24 rugby league game between Penrith and Brisbane at Centrebet Stadium in Penrith, Sydney.
Aside from the Bulldogs, other NRL clubs are aware of Hoffman's situation and have spoken to his agent in recent weeks.

However they don't have as much money as Canterbury have to play with under the salary cap.

Before Barba signed in Brisbane, 25-year-old Hoffman was just beginning talks with the Broncos about extending his contract.

But he has made it clear he wants to wear the No 1 jersey.

Barba can play in the halves but has made his home at fullback in recent seasons from where he became the 2012 Dally M champion.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs pounce on unhappy Brisbane fullback Josh Hoffman | News.com.au

So much inaccuracy Phil, you have out done yourself

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
If he wants to leave, I hope we release him and good luck to him. But I wouldn't release him until we get the compensation that we paid to get Barba back.

We certainly shouldn't allow the Bulldogs to sign him for free since they made us pay to get Barba

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
If he wants to leave, I hope we release him and good luck to him. But I wouldn't release him until we get the compensation that we paid to get Barba back.

We certainly shouldn't allow the Bulldogs to sign him for free since they made us pay to get Barba

This.

I'd love nothing more than having the Bulldogs pay us a fee for Hoffmans services.

If he wants to go, let him ..... we can more than cover the fullback spot now.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
It's a shame to see him go, because he is a gun winger.

But I'm not sure he is the right fullback for the Bulldogs as I'm not sure their halves a strong enough, IMO they need a fullback with some play making ability

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I think Hoffman's deluded. But if anyone's capable of getting the best out of him in attack at fullback, it's Des Hasler.

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
The last quote from Hoffman said that he'll make a decision on his future after he gets back from the WC, I still think it's him they're signing but there's also a small possibility it's Locke.

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
Nope, scrap that, it's definitely Hoffman. Best of luck mate.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
He has been one of my Favourite players, but seriously Hoffman wake up. Your not cut out for fullback. The fact that they had to swap you with hodges for half the game and getting dumped by the kiwis should be clear signs but obviously you just don't get it.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
A shame if true, he could have grown into our best wing option since the Tuqiri/Sailor days, now he will just be remembered as one of those players that left for another club.

I just hope this is sorted out soon and not stretched out to the pre season.

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
I'm sure Hoffman's salary will be better utilised by Milford anyway ;) Seriously though, I'm not even cut up about this, decent wingers are a dime a dozen and we've got plenty of cover in that department. Even if we don't get the MILF I think 2014 is already looking better for us and as long as we beat the Bulldogs and the Raiders everytime we play them then I'm counting the season a success.

Unread

Active Now

• marw
  • Fozz
  • Volvo Driver
  • maddo
  • RolledOates
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.