Matt Cecchin

Love to see a statistical analysis looking at flow of penalties based on penalty count. Square up penalties to level the count if true are cheating plain and simple. With all the gambling money in the game it has all sorts of legal issues including match fixing.

Move the refs out of Sydney to Gosford away from NSW media spotlight. Fire archer his cadre of mates. Pay the refs good money including at second tier level and train them with English refs in off-season. Have independent auditors to make sure they behave professionally and remove bad practices.

Short term loses "keeping the game even" and helping the media darlings will be made up for by actually having some integrity so the fans don't switch off because of blatant bad calls or accusations of cheating.

It's the NRL so they'd do the opposite and have a wheel of fortune setup for the video ref

Love to see a statistical analysis looking at flow of penalties based on penalty count. Square up penalties to level the count if true are cheating plain and simple. With all the gambling money in the game it has all sorts of legal issues including match fixing.

Move the refs out of Sydney to Gosford away from NSW media spotlight. Fire archer his cadre of mates. Pay the refs good money including at second tier level and train them with English refs in off-season. Have independent auditors to make sure they behave professionally and remove bad practices.

Short term loses "keeping the game even" and helping the media darlings will be made up for by actually having some integrity so the fans don't switch off because of blatant bad calls or accusations of cheating.

Evening up the count coupled with piggy-backs for whoever is losing.

Great post @Number6 I agree with a lot of it.

The problem with the NRL is that in their attempt to appeal to fair weather fans they’ve tinkered with the rules and officiating so much that it’s alienating Rugby League supporters.

They’ve also completely missed the point that Rugby League, played in a good spirit and refereed competently and to the rules is highly entertaining. The English Super League is proof of that.

Moving beyond Matt Cecchin,

Tim Gore, over at The Roar, has posted a good article about refereeing, The Bunker, etc.

I did not see Uate's try in the Manly game but there is a theory that the reason it was awarded on the spot is because they were running behind schedule.

Did it happen late in the game? It seems suspect that they wouldn't check in conditions like that.

He goes on to say that fans basically consist of:

- people who want the video ref gone completely (like the old days)

- people who are the "I'm alright Jacks" whom he defines as:

There are a lot of you in this category and you may not even realise it. Your argument goes along these very logical lines: “We know referees will make mistakes. That is part of the game. It is ridiculous to suggest that their mistakes favour any teams. They surely even out.”

Both of these things are correct. Referees will make mistakes and it is virtually certain that they will even out amongst the clubs.

It is my contention that a majority of the people spruiking this line are supporters of five NRL clubs: The Storm, Roosters, Sea Eagles, Broncos and Bulldogs.

While the above argument makes sense the problem I have with it is it's a game you can only ever lose - just waiting for the next time you get screwed over and no real incentive for the NRL to improve standards because the howler against your team will be absorbed in the media cycle by the next howler in tomorrow's game.

The whole thing is worth a read here: http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/06/1...than-correct-how-the-nrl-screwed-the-knights/

Moving beyond Matt Cecchin,

Tim Gore, over at The Roar, has posted a good article about refereeing, The Bunker, etc.

I did not see Uate's try in the Manly game but there is a theory that the reason it was awarded on the spot is because they were running behind schedule.

Did it happen late in the game? It seems suspect that they wouldn't check in conditions like that.

He goes on to say that fans basically consist of:

- people who want the video ref gone completely (like the old days)

- people who are the "I'm alright Jacks" whom he defines as:

While the above argument makes sense the problem I have with it is it's a game you can only ever lose - just waiting for the next time you get screwed over and no real incentive for the NRL to improve standards because the howler against your team will be absorbed in the media cycle by the next howler in tomorrow's game.

The whole thing is worth a read here: http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/06/1...than-correct-how-the-nrl-screwed-the-knights/

This guy has obviously never checked out the chookpen after any loss, let alone a controversial one. It's ALWAYS the refs fault there. The NRL and all officials conspire against them at every turn.

This guy has obviously never checked out the chookpen after any loss, let alone a controversial one. It's ALWAYS the refs fault there. The NRL and all officials conspire against them at every turn.
We aren't much better

Nikorima is next.

We've got a proud history to maintain: Ben Ikin, Stuart Kelly, Dane Carlaw, Wayne Bennett, Darius Boyd, Ashton Sims, Joel Clinton, Steve Michaels, Scott Anderson, Peter Wallace, Dale Copley, Gerard Beale, Andrew McCullough, Sam Thaiday, Lachlan Maranta, Josh Hoffman, Aaron Whitchurch, Jack Reed, Adam Blair, Greg Eden, Travis Waddell, Alex Glenn, Tautau Moga...

P.S. Gore's article lost me when he went on some full blown tangent about TPAs.

Have we ever really blamed Adam Blair? I feel like he's been a pretty popular player on here bar maybe his first month in Broncos colours.

Blair was one of a few players who was able to shed his reputation, but for the first half of 2015, he copped it deluxe. Especially after a game in Townsville.

Adam Blair has been a revelation in the way he cleans up the ruck, and pressures opposition halves, besides being a pretty handy linkman for attacking moves. That mitigates his general lack of impact in the hit-up stakes.

Who is our favourite current player on this forum

Tevita Pangai Jr, Matt Gillett, Corey Oates, Anthony Milford and James Roberts.

Jordan Kahu, Darius Boyd, Kodi Nikorima there abouts.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • Hurrijo
  • Galah
  • Behold
  • Mustafur
  • MrRobot
  • Canga
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.