NRL 2023 Round 4 Discussion

I've always thought Hodgson was a second rate Robbie Farah, and it looks like I wasn't wrong in thinking it was a terrible decision to sign him instead of Mahoney. He is always over playing his hand, sometimes it does pay off, but generally it just messes up the rhythm of his halves. I really think this is the main problem with the Eels.

He's good enough to get them to the 8 maybe, but yikes imagine going from a genuine quality young rake in Mahoney, to an over the hill banged up Hodgson. If I was an Eels fan I'd be vomiting in my sleep.

Who's the wanker that decided to put the Grand Final replay on a Thursday night? This had to be either the Friday night or Sunday afternoon game surely.

I've always thought Hodgson was a second rate Robbie Farah, and it looks like I wasn't wrong in thinking it was a terrible decision to sign him instead of Mahoney. He is always over playing his hand, sometimes it does pay off, but generally it just messes up the rhythm of his halves. I really think this is the main problem with the Eels.

He's good enough to get them to the 8 maybe, but yikes imagine going from a genuine quality young rake in Mahoney, to an over the hill banged up Hodgson. If I was an Eels fan I'd be vomiting in my sleep.

Well said. We’ve had some recruitment shockers over the last few years but man, whoever worked it out so Parra didn’t have enough money for Mahoney should be sacked yesterday.

Who's the wanker that decided to put the Grand Final replay on a Thursday night? This had to be either the Friday night or Sunday afternoon game surely.
Channel Nine who the NRL vehemently deny don't control when the games are scheduled but yet always get the blockbuster games "coincidently"

It wasn't that long ago that half this place was screaming for Hodgson. I'm glad we didn't, even though we've struggled in that position. He's frustrating to watch.

I don't think the Eels forced Mahoney out to sign Hodgson. Mahoney left to sign with Canterbury so they signed Hodgson as cover.

Still, it wasn't like the Bulldogs made a monster offer. $650,000 over 4 years sounds reasonable. I can't imagine the Eels wouldn't have been in the ball-park, it must have been a quality pitch from Gus.

I don't think the Eels forced Mahoney out to sign Hodgson. Mahoney left to sign with Canterbury so they signed Hodgson as cover.

Still, it wasn't like the Bulldogs made a monster offer. $650,000 over 4 years sounds reasonable. I can't imagine the Eels wouldn't have been in the ball-park, it must have been a quality pitch from Gus.

I think there were reports that said the Eels initial offer was a massive low-ball offer ... and that put him off side with their management allowing the Bulldogs to swoop in

wonder if they know what position Bateman has been playing for the last few years.
He wore the 13 but still played on an edge didn't he?

13 is certainly an option, but I'd prefer keeping him in that role. Bateman is one of those players I'd priortise in the team because I can trust he's going to be a handful for the opposition. I'd be basing Tackles 3-5 on him and looking to play off the back of that.

Otherwise the Tigers are really short in that role. That's why I suggested Tommy Talau in the off-season who I feel is better coming through the ruck than trying to make the most of the limited possession he does receive.

Not that we've had the chance to see it in full effect but it seems like the idea is to start with the big boppers. Then in the final quarter of the game, Sheens will go with his two-dummy half policy that worked so well when he had Farah & Halatau working together in 2005.

They only tried it once against Newcastle and it ended with a concussion to Simpkin. They'll return to it later in the year, although I'm intrigued by the Laurie selection off the bench. I'm going to presume he's an insurance selection and if there's an injury in the backline or Doeihi lays a duck egg they can switch back.

I think there were reports that said the Eels initial offer was a massive low-ball offer ... and that put him off side with their management allowing the Bulldogs to swoop in
I remember reading something like the Eels offered him 400k which was insulting for a top 5 hooker.

They deserved to lose him.

Channel Nine who the NRL vehemently deny don't control when the games are scheduled but yet always get the blockbuster games "coincidently"

Do Thursday night games rate better than the Sunday arvo game though? Surely you'd pop this game on the Sunday

Yeah this makes sense and I think timeline would suggest Hodgson was a panic contingency after Mahoney clearly wasn’t going to re-sign. It does make you wonder though what exactly happened because whatever it was, it was a monumental stuff up and if I were the Bulldogs, I wouldn’t be able to stop laughing.

I’m tipping Eels tonight.

They seem to have the wood on Penrith in regular season games.

I’m tipping Eels tonight.

They seem to have the wood on Penrith in regular season games.
They will be keen as **** to win tonight... I give them every chance, because Panthers at the moment just don't look to have the same level of attack without Api.

maybe many people over-rated Cleary's contribution to this team ... while under-rating Api's contribution

Hmmm......thats weird.............................Penrith coping the Ashley Klein treatment tonight.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Mister Wright
  • Galah
  • Hurrijo
  • BroncoFan94
  • Socnorb
  • Financeguy
  • Ondi
  • HarryAllan7
  • Gaz
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Santa
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.