NOT CROSS FORUM NRL Round 10 Discussion

That ship has sailed.

Hannay might be a good option, but he's still a rookie coach.

The other option worth considering is to wait for the Eels to sack Brad Arthur... He's shown he can rebuild a club, although I don't think he can ever take you to the promised land.
Yeah I guess you wouldn't want a rookie coach going in there. Inexperienced captains and a rookie coach would be bad. I rate Hannay highly though and think he will coach NRL one day.

There are a few recently sacked head coaches that have better styles than Peyton. Holbrook? Griffin? Madge? I mean at least Madge is a premiership winning coach. I dont think even WB would have got the Tigers firing from 2019 onwards.. Shit what a mess. Probably better off sticking with Peyton...

so delicious at the cowboys stampeed 'its this player its that player'not the merkin coach tho lol
They have a forum? I assumed they didn't because, oh... well you know

Yeah I guess you wouldn't want a rookie coach going in there. Inexperienced captains and a rookie coach would be bad. I rate Hannay highly though and think he will coach NRL one day.

There are a few recently sacked head coaches that have better styles than Peyton. Holbrook? Griffin? Madge? I mean at least Madge is a premiership winning coach. I dont think even WB would have got the Tigers firing from 2019 onwards.. Shit what a mess. Probably better off sticking with Peyton...
The better style of not fucking knocking the ball on over the line 3 times a game or miss 1 on 1 tackles? The only person that is available that would be able to turn this soft playing group around is Bennett. They are soft and entitled. It wouldn't matter who else was coaching because it is not the fucking coach that is making them bomb tries and miss tackles

I thought this quote sums up the group and what is the actual problem "Thats the message I gave to the team, its about sticking together and prioritising our profession"

These clowns are more worried about their fucking handicap and partying then buckling down and taking their football serious. They are entitled little shits that think their shit doesn't stink because they had 1 good year. They think it is just going to happen. They all got their money. They are sweet as. It has nothing to do with how they are being coached. Its not scheme or how well payten is "liked". Imagine another coach coming in trying to make these dudes train harder? How do you think that is going over? Its their own individual accountability and effort. You can change the coach all you want but unless it is bennett or bellamy this shit isnt changing unless individuals fix their attitude and take football seriously and not just as a side job

The better style of not fucking knocking the ball on over the line 3 times a game or miss 1 on 1 tackles? The only person that is available that would be able to turn this soft playing group around is Bennett. They are soft and entitled. It wouldn't matter who else was coaching because it is not the fucking coach that is making them bomb tries and miss tackles

I thought this quote sums up the group and what is the actual problem "Thats the message I gave to the team, its about sticking together and prioritising our profession"

These clowns are more worried about their fucking handicap and partying then buckling down and taking their football serious. They are entitled little shits that think their shit doesn't stink because they had 1 good year. They think it is just going to happen. They all got their money. They are sweet as. It has nothing to do with how they are being coached. Its not scheme or how well payten is "liked". Imagine another coach coming in trying to make these dudes train harder? How do you think that is going over? Its their own individual accountability and effort. You can change the coach all you want but unless it is bennett or bellamy this shit isnt changing unless individuals fix their attitude and take football seriously and not just as a side job

And when the young guys come in, bust their arse and play well...while the experienced heads to play like shit...then the young guys get the blame for the result and get flogged or dropped... That is absolutely on the coaches and you don't think that might perpetuate the culture of entitlement from the entrenched flogs - along with a lack of care and/or too much pressure on the young blokes trying to force their way into the team?

Coaching staff aren't responsible for dropped balls or missed tackles. Coaching staff are very much responsible for the culture and attitude in and around the team. Perfect case, look at the Dolphins - punching above their weight thanks to Bennett and co and the standards they drive. Those blokes would run through brick walls for their coaches and each other and wouldn't even second guess it.

Senior players are also critical - can you imagine the team playing like this if Thurston was still around? Lolo is a shadow of himself. Chad was a fly-in who harms the team almost as much as helps them, etc etc...the senior players don't seem to be all on the same page nor demanding respect and standards on or off the field. That's partly on recruitment but it's also partly on Payton as well, as a head coach you have got to bring those players with you on your journey and by all appearances he's failing.

Believe it or not, up to you, but the players are clearly not buying what Payton is selling and the wider attitude and culture around the club is reflective of that. To be fair, they're also big fish in a small pond - they'd be treated like royalty up north I'd imagine, similar to the Broncos in Brissy - win or lose. I can't imagine that helps too much either, but all the more reason for strong coaching staff and club culture to keep everyone in line.

I have to say though, it's not the whole team. There's some outstanding players there, Neame just keeps getting better, Cotter is a machine, etc. The nucleus is there, I'm just not convinced Payton is the man to bring them all together and get them firing based on what I hear from people who know players up there. There's no doubt they should be doing much better than they are, though, and that must be hard for the fans to cop. I'd be livid.

And when the young guys come in, bust their arse and play well...while the experienced heads to play like shit...then the young guys get the blame for the result and get flogged or dropped... That is absolutely on the coaches and you don't think that might perpetuate the culture of entitlement from the entrenched flogs - along with a lack of care and/or too much pressure on the young blokes trying to force their way into the team?

Coaching staff aren't responsible for dropped balls or missed tackles. Coaching staff are very much responsible for the culture and attitude in and around the team. Perfect case, look at the Dolphins - punching above their weight thanks to Bennett and co and the standards they drive. Those blokes would run through brick walls for their coaches and each other and wouldn't even second guess it.

Senior players are also critical - can you imagine the team playing like this if Thurston was still around? Lolo is a shadow of himself. Chad was a fly-in who harms the team almost as much as helps them, etc etc...the senior players don't seem to be all on the same page nor demanding respect and standards on or off the field. That's partly on recruitment but it's also partly on Payton as well, as a head coach you have got to bring those players with you on your journey and by all appearances he's failing.

Believe it or not, up to you, but the players are clearly not buying what Payton is selling and the wider attitude and culture around the club is reflective of that. To be fair, they're also big fish in a small pond - they'd be treated like royalty up north I'd imagine, similar to the Broncos in Brissy - win or lose. I can't imagine that helps too much either, but all the more reason for strong coaching staff and club culture to keep everyone in line.

I have to say though, it's not the whole team. There's some outstanding players there, Neame just keeps getting better, Cotter is a machine, etc. The nucleus is there, I'm just not convinced Payton is the man to bring them all together and get them firing based on what I hear from people who know players up there. There's no doubt they should be doing much better than they are, though, and that must be hard for the fans to cop. I'd be livid.
He tried to change the culture as soon as he got there but he got push back!! Thats why he isn't apparently "liked". They don't want to work hard. That is the problem. The culture was like this before he even arrived. I don't want to speak ill of the guy that was here for obvious reason beforehand but there was things going on right throughout the club that were horrible. 1 city team. They think they are all celebrities. Players were recruited in to change it. Before he was signed and after he was. Alot of them have been the wrong guys. Payten wears some of that but he has tried to change the culture. Its obvious its not working. But I push back on saying anybody other than the guys I mentioned are going to change it. They are trying to weed out some of the problems bit it isnt a short term fix. This goes back years. I don't want to go backwards by getting in the same kind of coach to have the same problems. Because Im sorry Payten has done alot of good things despite what others say. Alot of these young guys have flourished under him. Guys that were no world beaters as juniors. I thought the year that we ended up in the prelim we would win the wooden spoon. I didn't see any of the young guys being this good or any kind of future. Now there is. But you have to get rid of the bad apples and get the right mix. I think they are trying to do that. A few that have recently gone I believe is a step in the right direction and Im pretty sure they are trying to move another couple of guys that are issues. Two for very different reasons but it is delicate. If you are going to move on from Payten you have to be certain that the guy you get to be the next coach is better than the guy you have.

He tried to change the culture as soon as he got there but he got push back!! Thats why he isn't apparently "liked". They don't want to work hard. That is the problem. The culture was like this before he even arrived. I don't want to speak ill of the guy that was here for obvious reason beforehand but there was things going on right throughout the club that were horrible. 1 city team. They think they are all celebrities. Players were recruited in to change it. Before he was signed and after he was. Alot of them have been the wrong guys. Payten wears some of that but he has tried to change the culture. Its obvious its not working. But I push back on saying anybody other than the guys I mentioned are going to change it. They are trying to weed out some of the problems bit it isnt a short term fix. This goes back years. I don't want to go backwards by getting in the same kind of coach to have the same problems. Because Im sorry Payten has done alot of good things despite what others say. Alot of these young guys have flourished under him. Guys that were no world beaters as juniors. I thought the year that we ended up in the prelim we would win the wooden spoon. I didn't see any of the young guys being this good or any kind of future. Now there is. But you have to get rid of the bad apples and get the right mix. I think they are trying to do that. A few that have recently gone I believe is a step in the right direction and Im pretty sure they are trying to move another couple of guys that are issues. Two for very different reasons but it is delicate. If you are going to move on from Payten you have to be certain that the guy you get to be the next coach is better than the guy you have.

If this is the case, no one is forcing Payten to pick these bad elements though are they? Or is their interference from higher up?

If this is the case, no one is forcing Payten to pick these bad elements though are they? Or is their interference from higher up?
I think it is delicate. Contracts, standing in the game, popularity. I think it is pretty obvious that he is trying to move some of them on without blowing the whole thing up. Look what he did with the captaincy and who those two guys were. Look what he did with a certain winger last year. I don't think that went over well considering what he achieved at the club. I don't think he has 100% say in everything. Taumalolo, Feldt and Granville in particular I reckon are delicate. Somebody told me a few weeks ago that there are cliques in the playing group and alot of them are guys that are extremely talented and/or are big personalities with alot of sway. This is probably totally made up. I have no proof of anything and Im reticent to believe some random dude off the internet. He mentioned guys like leilua, hiku, taulagi, holmes townsend and drinkwater that were leading astray others and were very influential on alot of the younger guys. I asked him where he was getting this from and like the dude on here I question all the time he wouldn't say so it could be bullshit. He said Payten never vibed with Drinkwater from the start because he is a loose kind of personality and player and doesn't exactly do the things that win you games. On and off the field. He got that hot when Hammer went down though that he was forced to pick him and now he is so big personality and standing wise that he cannot rein it in. He said Townsend and Drinkwater are very close. Payten is also annoyed with how that Townsend thing is going because that was his guy. He pushed for it. Turned sour. I think they are trying to move him on early but nobody wants him.

Would not be surprised if something comes out about Townsend in the next few weeks. I think that quote I posted from Payten is one of the more relevant things that has come out of this club in a few years. Its a really strange quote unless he is is trying to send a message. Its time for him to start banging heads even if it ruffles more feathers. He is gone end of the year anyway probably if they don't turn it around.

Its not what Payten has tried to do, its how he went about doing it thats been the issue. That clubs been rotten since it fell apart under Green and its not really showing any signs of turning around.

@JayPee if i thought i could trust you i'd happily tell you and show you how i know what i know. I've never said i wont say where i get it from, i just wont blab it out to anyone. I've given people on here who i feel i could trust information privately and its been backed up as true, and its not kind of stuff that somebodies sisters uncles brother would get.

As i always say though, i dont get offended if people dont believe what random people on the internet say. Dont blame them at all. I'm happy i know myself what i'm saying is 100% spot on.

Its not what Payten has tried to do, its how he went about doing it thats been the issue. That clubs been rotten since it fell apart under Green and its not really showing any signs of turning around.

@JayPee if i thought i could trust you i'd happily tell you and show you how i know what i know. I've never said i wont say where i get it from, i just wont blab it out to anyone. I've given people on here who i feel i could trust information privately and its been backed up as true, and its not kind of stuff that somebodies sisters uncles brother would get.

As i always say though, i dont get offended if people dont believe what random people on the internet say. Dont blame them at all. I'm happy i know myself what i'm saying is 100% spot on.

We only believe your source if there is Greek involved somehow and cousins.

I went over to the stampede and had a bit of a spy.

Quite enjoyed it. but ironically it almost made me feel sorry for them. Reminded me of our dark days under Seibold.

They've really turned on poor old Tommy D. When I watch the games I don't feel like he is their biggest issue tho, he and Cotter seem to be like the only ones trying. Scott Drinkwater reminds me a bit of a skinny Milford. He seems to like the flash but nothing of the hard stuff. Agree with them that Townsend is washed, he reminds me of Peter Wallace at the end of his tenure.

I often wonder what how their team would be if they'd wanted to prioritise keeping these guys:
Kikau, Cheese, Ponga & Hammer.

Sandon Smith has been suspended for 1 match for a similar incident that saw Harry Grant cop a $1000 fine.

Grant was penalized and sin binned on the field ... Smith wasn't

Sandon Smith has been suspended for 1 match for a similar incident that saw Harry Grant cop a $1000 fine.

Grant was penalized and sin binned on the field ... Smith wasn't

#consistency

Grant is challenging his fine. This will be really interesting because basically, he ran through on the kicking leg which these days, you just can't do regardless of the media doing their usual rubbish about it.

If he gets off with this, it opens up taking out the leg once again and honestly, the Lussick suspension should also be challenged.

Grant is challenging his fine. This will be really interesting because basically, he ran through on the kicking leg which these days, you just can't do regardless of the media doing their usual rubbish about it.

If he gets off with this, it opens up taking out the leg once again and honestly, the Lussick suspension should also be challenged.

Even for a Storm player, i hope he gets off. I'm asking a lot from the NRL and officials here, but we need some common sense. He didnt attack the legs, he didnt put him in a dangerous position, he put pressure on a kicker and slowed down as he got to the player. The Sharks players wink told you all you need to know about that incident.

I think anyone with any intelligence can tell somebody going in recklessly and somebody who isnt. Grants was a nothing incident really. Bit of an exaggeration, but if this is the new norm you might as well tell players they cant put any pressure on a kicker anymore.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.