NOT CROSS FORUM NRL Round 6 Discussion

Once again the refs dictate the result. And people still believe the NSWRL don't manufacture results.

It's a cardinal sin not to run in support of Ponga.

When you have a player like that on your team, you should always have one or two support players racing to be alongside him due to the likelihood of him fashioning a half-chance.

Same with Walshy - thankfully we've got Ezra and his electric pace.

It's just laziness and a lack of focus/awareness from the Knights.

It's a cardinal sin not to run in support of Ponga.

When you have a player like that on your team, you should always have one or two support players racing to be alongside him due to the likelihood of him fashioning a half-chance.

Same with Walshy - thankfully we've got Ezra and his electric pace.

It's just laziness and a lack of focus/awareness from the Knights.
It's the type of support play Gamble provides

Thought Ponga was unlucky not to get a penalty and a Rooster sent off for a professional foul there, they were all over him and didn't let him get the quick play the ball he earned.
How Angus Crichton stayed on the field is beyond me. That wasn't an isolated incident, Angus was being a menace in every ruck and should have been called a number of times.

The NRL need to make a call on the play the ball. The rule is black and white, the player needs to maintain their balance when they play it. Ponga slipped over, so it was either a penalty against the Roosters or a turn-over, it was never play on.

Otherwise it was a quality game of football. Both teams completed at over 80%, the ball was in play for over 60 minutes and it was in the balance until the last minute. In the end the Roosters deserved their victory and they won all the big moments.

Down 8-0, they flip it to 16-8 with Brandon Smith ramming home their advantage with a soft try. First try in the second half was always going to be worth it's weight in gold and in the end they asked more questions of the Knights defence and eventually it was Terrell May who laid it on for his team.

The thing with Newcastle is that when the game was on the line, the ball rarely found the right players. Even the try they scored through Elliott, Crossland wasn't looking for the ball, that was all just effort from him and Elliott to manufacture that try. That's where the halves have to take control, particularly Hastings who should be supporting Pearce-Paul as much as possible.

His ability to get his arms free is a trigger, they could build so much of their attack off running one of his offloads.

How Angus Crichton stayed on the field is beyond me. That wasn't an isolated incident, Angus was being a menace in every ruck and should have been called a number of times.

The NRL need to make a call on the play the ball. The rule is black and white, the player needs to maintain their balance when they play it. Ponga slipped over, so it was either a penalty against the Roosters or a turn-over, it was never play on.

Otherwise it was a quality game of football. Both teams completed at over 80%, the ball was in play for over 60 minutes and it was in the balance until the last minute. In the end the Roosters deserved their victory and they won all the big moments.

Down 8-0, they flip it to 16-8 with Brandon Smith ramming home their advantage with a soft try. First try in the second half was always going to be worth it's weight in gold and in the end they asked more questions of the Knights defence and eventually it was Terrell May who laid it on for his team.

The thing with Newcastle is that when the game was on the line, the ball rarely found the right players. Even the try they scored through Elliott, Crossland wasn't looking for the ball, that was all just effort from him and Elliott to manufacture that try. That's where the halves have to take control, particularly Hastings who should be supporting Pearce-Paul as much as possible.

His ability to get his arms free is a trigger, they could build so much of their attack off running one of his offloads.
Yeah the difference was jackson Hastings I reckon. Can defend well but gee some of his kicks are just shithouse.

It's a real shame the game is losing Manu.
I don't think he will be gone for too long. I think he is only going to French Rugby for the cash, but will possibly return by the start of the 2026 season to replace the retiring Tedesco. Of course, he will sign with the Roosters for $750k or something well below his market value because of the club culture.

Probably a really unpopular opinion here but I just don't get the hype of Manu at fullback. All he does is run, he never looks to promote the ball and just seems like a very selfish player there. Yeah his stats look amazing in terms of runs and run metres and I can see why the supercoach blokes love him but just on last night's game alone he blew so many opportunities because he never even considers passing just tuck and run.

Probably a really unpopular opinion here but I just don't get the hype of Manu at fullback. All he does is run, he never looks to promote the ball and just seems like a very selfish player there. Yeah his stats look amazing in terms of runs and run metres and I can see why the supercoach blokes love him but just on last night's game alone he blew so many opportunities because he never even considers passing just tuck and run.
I think you need to understand what kind of fullback Manu is. He is a direct fullback that uses his power to make opportunities and not try to finesse around the outside. A lot of the Roosters opportunities last night were off a direct result of either a run he had just made forcing a quick play the ball or offload. I think if he had a full year behind him at fullback he could really develop a pass and would be close to unstoppable at fullback

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Organix
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.