Our chances of making the eight

hayseed

hayseed

QCup Player
Feb 20, 2013
No chance of the current team having a run like that the current day Broncos are extremely different to the team that took the field in the late 90's early 2000's. What a roller coaster of a season thanks for the recap. Bennett said in his book that they were just happy to make it in the end, it was a terrific effort to get that far.

ABC's ""Australian Story"" just happened to be filming a docu on Wayne Bennett as this losing streak was taking place and it was a great insight on how it was affecting the club because 1999 was the first major losing streak the Broncos had ever endured. The raw emotion of the whole thing was brilliantly portrayed on the screen and the amazing part about the eventual winning streak was that every game was sudden death, one loss in that stretch would have cost them a playoff spot. This is back in the days when wearing a Broncos jersey was a huge honour, these days the Broncos are just like any other club with marginally talented players and incompetence in the head office. Maybe a step back to the traditions of 1999 might be a good start in making this club succeed once again but don't count on it.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The sad thing is you'd think Andrew Gee would be able to communicate what it meant to be part of that 1999 side.

If anything you would think it would drive him to make sure the club never endures that again while his involved, but it seems the club has just accepted mediocrity, this club used to fight hard to avoid it, now it's a mentality of it's ok, things will come good. I hate to say this but limping into the finals last season was the worst thing that could happen to us and I would hate for the same to happen this year.

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
If anything you would think it would drive him to make sure the club never endures that again while his involved, but it seems the club has just accepted mediocrity, this club used to fight hard to avoid it, now it's a mentality of it's ok, things will come good. I hate to say this but limping into the finals last season was the worst thing that could happen to us and I would hate for the same to happen this year.

It won't. We aren't playing well enough on current form to do even that.

We will either finish 7 - 12 BUT, if the form and new game plan as I call it with forwards passing the ball, of last week continues to grow exponentially (which is my hope, forlorn or not) we will get into the 8 on the back of solid wins.

I don't see any middle ground which to me is to "limp into the finals".

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I wonder if we approached our training differently with the intention of producing a post origin surge as opposed to the usual?
It may explain why we looked so tired at the start of the year when we normally blow teams away with superior fitness.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Sadly, I can see 6 & 8 becoming 6 & 11 very quickly.

Whoever had the bright idea of having us play the Warriors in two Origin affected rounds and compound that by having us back up 5 days later to face Melbourne in Melbourne quite clearly isn't a Broncos fan.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Sadly, I can see 6 & 8 becoming 6 & 11 very quickly.

Whoever had the bright idea of having us play the Warriors in two Origin affected rounds and compound that by having us back up 5 days later to face Melbourne in Melbourne quite clearly isn't a Broncos fan.
Nothing new... Broncos always suffer most at Origin time.

Only stand-alone weekends will solve this...

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Indeed.

Although I think this is the worst we've ever had it scheduling wise.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Indeed.

Although I think this is the worst we've ever had it scheduling wise.

This years schedule as a whole is kinda wack......

I don't remember playing the same teams only a few rounds apart before.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
This years schedule as a whole is kinda wack......

I don't remember playing the same teams only a few rounds apart before.

Not the Broncos, but in 1995/1996 Cronulla played Western Reds in consecutive weeks (rounds 3 and 4) both years. That was bizarre.

For the record, Reds won the away game in Sydney and lost the home game in Perth in 1995...go figure.

Donald

Donald

QCup Player
Mar 25, 2013
After a much better performance then most of us expected against the warriors how do we all still feel?

Me personally if we cant snag a win against Melbourne and then beat the sharks without out Origin Players then i think we can just make the eight.

Even if we make eight you would think that we wouldnt have to play souths, manly, storm or roosters in the first week. With that in mind we could beat any of the other teams on our day. If we can make it into the second week of the finals on the back of some good form then anything is possible in a final.

Trying to be optimistic anyway :biggrin:

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I can't see us making the finals. We're drunk on performance but we didn't get the thing that ultimately mattered, the result.

People will say, but this week will define our season, we could make it three good performances in a row and jag a win in Melbourne!

That is one way of seeing it, alternatively, that game against the Warriors could break whatever spirit we had left in the squad - tried their best, came off a good performance at home against the tigers, origin players in form, overpowered the warriors pack in nz, gave it everything - still lost. Melbourne beating us soundly could very well be the eulogy for our season.

Donald

Donald

QCup Player
Mar 25, 2013
I can't see us making the finals. We're drunk on performance but we didn't get the thing that ultimately mattered, the result.

People will say, but this week will define our season, we could make it three good performances in a row and jag a win in Melbourne!

That is one way of seeing it, alternatively, that game against the Warriors could break whatever spirit we had left in the squad - tried their best, came off a good performance at home against the tigers, origin players in form, overpowered the warriors pack in nz, gave it everything - still lost. Melbourne beating us soundly could very well be the eulogy for our season.

Im prepared to say that if Melbourne come out and give us a hiding then we wont make the 8 and our season is over. If we can win down there then I'm hopeful...

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
the comp outside the top 4 is such a mess of turd that even with our record we are still only 2 games behind 5th position, and half of those sides are sh*t anyway.

feels like its going to be a stephen bradbury like run to the finals.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
If we win against Melbourne and the Sharks I say we have a fair chance, if we lose both no chance.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
If we win against Melbourne and the Sharks I say we have a fair chance, if we lose both no chance.

I can't be arsed with the math.

Is this where we're at? We lose ....we're gone?

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
We are on 14, 8th spot 16 so no we aren't out of it with a loss this week however it wouldn't help the cause.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.