PLAYER Reece Walsh

Slater played Centre in his 1st season ...
And scored a bunch of tries there .

Also I think the reference was to a particular time in their careers not Reece and Billy after 66 games .

66 games is how many games Walsh has played- you can't compare them to anything more than that.

Slater played five games at centre and scored five tries but Walsh played 6 and bench in his first couple of games so it doesn't really matter.

66 games is how many games Walsh has played- you can't compare them to anything more than that.

Slater played five games at centre and scored five tries but Walsh played 6 and bench in his first couple of games so it doesn't really matter.

Oh yes it does . LOL .

I really don't recall Slater scoring that many tries. That is a phenomenal record early in his career.

He had five doubles and one triple just in his first year and then his third year two triples and four doubles.

He was like Renouf he scored in clumps.
I kind of wish I got to enjoy his career a bit more than I did. As a Broncos fan it is so hard to enjoy anyone who wears that purple jersey. I am glad I get to appreciate Slater for the coach he is and a quality Rugby league Analyst.

Geez did Slater only play 5 games at centre? I thought he played most of his first season there. There you go!

I remember him being one of those guys that was pretty average in d but man he could find the tryline.

You're right, five games massively change those stats, they would be completely all reversed.

Yep . 5 tries does make a significant difference in your 1st season .
Now go do your home work . And come back with some real stats . ha ha

Yep . 5 tries does make a significant difference in your 1st season .
Now go do your home work . And come back with some real stats . ha ha

The comparison between Slater and Walsh has always been made on ability and similarities.

Five games at centre, or 6 or bench between the two doesn’t change the comparison.

The same way only a complete knob would take into account Petero playing second row or centre if you’re comparing him to Webcke.

Walsh v Slater after 66 games.

Tries
Walsh 28
Slater 51

Line breaks
Walsh 49
Slater 69

Try assists
Walsh 55
Slater 10

Av runs
Walsh 10
Slater 12

Av metres
Walsh 108
Slater 125

Av tackle busts
Walsh 4.2
Slater 2.5
So Walsh involved in 83 tries and Slater involved in 61 tries.

Most other stats are pretty similar except for the tackle busts.

Ipso facto; Walsh is a football player

Reece already has more play making at this age than Billy in his late 20s .
My son is a huge Billy Slater fan and I have watched a lot of him play over the years . His passing and vision was not on the same level as Reece at the same age / number of games . Slater only added kicks to his game late in his career . But Slaters taking the ball on the full at speed and then accelerating still has an edge on Reece`s returns .

Walsh creates so much for not just himself but others, my memory of early Slater is chasing kicks, running into holes with his speed and the odd freakish kick returns which would explain the difference in tries, try assists and tackle busts.
66 games in its hard to split the two because they play different roles in the teams their playing in, but at this stage Walsh has more strings to his bow.

Slater was phenomenal and his speed was something else, along with his instincts. He was also one of the fittest guys in sport at the time, not just the NRL, he's a legend for a reason so the fact Walsh is even in discussions with him is a testament to him. What Walsh has though is perhaps the most agility I've ever seen from any player ever in addition to all of his other weapons and his playmaking ability is already next level compared to Slater. Those two aspects are what excite me about the guy, that in addition to all the Slater-like attributes, he has additional weapons too. So happy he came home!

I dont get why people are comparing Slater and Walsh based on tries and try assists, you need much more than that to be a fullback. Slater had a much better all round game for fullback. He was a better defender, and he organised a lot better than Walsh. Reece has a long way to go, and i do think people are a bit premature with the hype he is getting as up there with the greats already. His attacking game is, the rest of his game i dont think is close to Slater or Locky. Hopefully, thats going to develop as the years go by.

Slater was phenomenal and his speed was something else, along with his instincts. He was also one of the fittest guys in sport at the time, not just the NRL, he's a legend for a reason so the fact Walsh is even in discussions with him is a testament to him. What Walsh has though is perhaps the most agility I've ever seen from any player ever in addition to all of his other weapons and his playmaking ability is already next level compared to Slater. Those two aspects are what excite me about the guy, that in addition to all the Slater-like attributes, he has additional weapons too. So happy he came home!

Reece is agile, but i think his biggest weapon is his acceleration. Its insane how quickly he can go from a standing start to a sprint.

I dont get why people are comparing Slater and Walsh based on tries and try assists, you need much more than that to be a fullback. Slater had a much better all round game for fullback. He was a better defender, and he organised a lot better than Walsh. Reece has a long way to go, and i do think people are a bit premature with the hype he is getting as up there with the greats already. His attacking game is, the rest of his game i dont think is close to Slater or Locky. Hopefully, thats going to develop as the years go by.

No one is saying that current Reece is as good as peak Billy. And it isn't hard to understand, Walsh is the most similar player to Slater we've seen in the years since Slater retired. Walsh looks like he is on path to become the best player in the world but of course he isn't there yet. It isn't a mystery why there are comparison between current Walsh and early career Slater because, unbelievably, Walsh is early career Walsh.

Scary part is when Walsh slows down his play making is going to get better.

No one is saying that current Reece is as good as peak Billy. And it isn't hard to understand, Walsh is the most similar player to Slater we've seen in the years since Slater retired. Walsh looks like he is on path to become the best player in the world but of course he isn't there yet. It isn't a mystery why there are comparison between current Walsh and early career Slater because, unbelievably, Walsh is early career Walsh.

I said people are making comparisons based on 2 statistics. Thats not hard to understand either. I never even mentioned anything about peak Billy or even peak Locky. I dont know why you are even bring up players at their peak when i never did. Maybe i needed to make it clearer for people.

Even at the same stages games wise in their careers, i think Slater was a more well rounded fullback. And i personally dont think either were as good as Lockyer was in their early careers. Reece is just more of an excitment machine and in this day and age that creates more headline and hype.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Broncojim
  • Aldo
  • broncos4life
  • Maroon4life
  • Culhwch
  • Bucking Beads
  • whykickamoocow
  • Fozz
  • LittleDavey
  • theshed
  • Organix
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • thenry
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.