PRE-GAME [Round 2, 2024] Broncos vs Rabbitohs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Anyone think Walsh might miss a game? Has he been charged?
The contact wasn't dangerous. Sure its a shoulder charge but it was the safest aproach to that tackle. If they want to crack down on that tackle in that scenario they need to re-position their interpretation on the tackle here. If he gets it wrong and he goes high he is in strife but whilst the contact is safe I think its ridiculous that you could be charged for that. I say penalty, potentially penalty try (depending on many variables) with no suspension should be the outcome if the tackle is done safely. With normal punishments applying for dangerous shoulder charge contact if he doesn't tackle the player safely. Players have a duty of care to themselves as well and when you are at that speed trying to stop a try you don't really have much other option. The NRL need to come out and state that in that situation they expect no defensive contest if the shoulder charge is the only safe option or they need to acknowledge that he executed a safe tackle by not putting his head in the wrong position and not coming into contact with the oppositions head albeit by using a shoulder charge. I think its pretty loose shoulder charge interpretation as well he more so had an upright running collision with him, its not like he is a big booming middle leading with the shoulder with the rest of there body flailing in the back whilst they borderline superman dive in with shoulder that you used to see (sometimes still do). He was very upright and barely if at all led with the shoulder, he just didn't wrap the arms. I can understand they have to call it consistently but thats like a bloke falling into an openfisted wrap, call the penalty and leave it at that. Thats an upright collision if anything. Just no arms. Surely can't be charging or suspending that. Sadly when most things end up at the judiciary these days they get a charge no matter what regardless really of how piss weak it was unless they can find you fully innocent. I think it is a very loosely interpreted shoulder charge here and it all comes down to the wrap of the arms more so than of his contact or position of body weight and force going into the tackle.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Broncos fullback Reece Walsh has been hit with a Grade 1 Shoulder Charge offence for his shot on Roosters winger Daniel Tupou in the 46th minute of that match.

Walsh faces a $3000 fine with an early guilty plea, increasing to a two-game ban should he contest the charge and be found guilty at panel

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Brisbane have only used 28/30 NRL spots, so they have room to bring him in.

I doubt they're in any rush to do so. Burleigh play this Saturday with Brisbane playing the following Thursday. That's not a big turn-around, then the following they have Penrith at Penrith on the Thursday so the earliest would be the Cowboys game.

Ideally, Patston/O'Neil can bide their time in QCup and when Origin rolls around you can bring him in against a weakened side. Otherwise if you're turning to these players hoping for them to hit the ground running, 9/10 you're going to wind up disappointed.

For Brisbane's sake, they need an NRL player to hit the free market.

Trew has been given a development deal for 24 and Karapani moved up to top 30.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I think as good as the raps are for Peeks we need to send him back to qcup. Even in qcup he was forever injury prone. He needs some intense coaching on tackling technique and it should be done with as less pressure as possible. Qcup is the ideal place to get him ready. He’s clearly not quite the finished product. The last two games he’s failed to finish.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I think we just have to make do until TPJ is ready, the game kinda showed like it or not, we could really use him.

I'm all for fast tracking Patston to top 30.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
I think we just have to make do until TPJ is ready, the game kinda showed like it or not, we could really use him.

I'm all for fast tracking Patston to top 30.
Would've loved to have seen Leniu run at TPJ yesterday. We need an impact player with a bit of lunatic in him in the side badly.

I think as good as the raps are for Peeks we need to send him back to qcup. Even in qcup he was forever injury prone. He needs some intense coaching on tackling technique and it should be done with as less pressure as possible. Qcup is the ideal place to get him ready. He’s clearly not quite the finished product. The last two games he’s failed to finish.

I mean, a concussion like the one he suffered yesterday could have happened to anyone. Even in the one run PIakura made he easily slid past a defender and looked immediately threatening. He is an extremely good player and definitely ready for NRL, just needs a bit of luck.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
That would be a disaster. DISASTER.

FaceOfMutiny

FaceOfMutiny

QCup Player
Nov 7, 2013
I think the match would have been different without the HIA so nothing to worry about yet but the team do have some things to work on.

I am still waiting for the headline of "OMG IS THAT TPJ's MUSIC?" and the media to say we need to get him in the team ASAP because we lost a game on a non regulation field with one man down after 3 minutes.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Piakura is 100% NRL ready and we are limited on backrow options as it is, one bad tackle technique doesn't mean they should be dropped that's just nonsense.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I honestly think that if TPJ were available (and he will be), right now our best team is:

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo/Mariner
5. Mariner/Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Smoothy
15. Willison
16. Hetherington
17. Pangai Jr

I actually thought Taupau was good yesterday but at his age now, you only get 20 mins out of him max at the level he was once capable of. Baker needs time in Q Cup and I just don't think you can have him, Hetherington and Jensen in the same side, too much same same there. We need Willison's x-factor and punch off the bench, basically he is the one who can relieve Haas and keep the roll on going. We clearly need a backrower on the bench and preferably one who can cover middle and edge and that is TPJ to a T.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Trew has been given a development deal for 24 and Karapani moved up to top 30.
That's right, but I believe Karapani made it 28 players, with Trew becoming the 4th development player.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
we just have to make do until TPJ is ready,
I just can't help but come to the conclusion you know nothing at all about Rugba League to formulate this kind of opinion, there is just no other conclusion.

Pot meet kettle . Lo fcking L

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I honestly think that if TPJ were available (and he will be), right now our best team is:

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo/Mariner
5. Mariner/Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Smoothy
15. Willison
16. Hetherington
17. Pangai Jr

I actually thought Taupau was good yesterday but at his age now, you only get 20 mins out of him max at the level he was once capable of. Baker needs time in Q Cup and I just don't think you can have him, Hetherington and Jensen in the same side, too much same same there. We need Willison's x-factor and punch off the bench, basically he is the one who can relieve Haas and keep the roll on going. We clearly need a backrower on the bench and preferably one who can cover middle and edge and that is TPJ to a T.

All depends if he is still a toxic influence on the locker room.

We didn't get rid of him previously because of his playing ability ... And we carried a decent amount of his wage on our cap only one reason you do that

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
All depends if he is still a toxic influence on the locker room.

We didn't get rid of him previously because of his playing ability ... And we carried a decent amount of his wage on our cap only one reason you do that

Yeah I know but imagine if he was there yesterday when the Leniu thing happened, I think he would have taken it personally and a motivated TPJ is a scary good TPJ and one would hope the last few years have humbled him considerably. A big if I know.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah I know but imagine if he was there yesterday when the Leniu thing happened, I think he would have taken it personally and a motivated TPJ is a scary good TPJ and one would hope the last few years have humbled him considerably. A big if I know.

I doubt he would have done what the majority of us would have loved to have seen happen.

And we all saw how he left the Bulldogs, I don't think he has humbled at all, if any.

A round one loss, isn't the time to panic and make a drastic move that has a better than even chance of fucking up our premiership chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • jarro65
  • Brocko
  • kman
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Jeza23
  • Wolfie
  • sooticus
  • mrtij
  • Harry Sack
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BooKhaki
  • broncotville
  • pennywisealfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.