Round 26 - Broncos vs. Bulldogs - Post Game Discussion

We outplayed them. How refreshing to see some enthusiasm and commitment.

Think of the changes next year. Parker Gillett and Glenn all running both looking to pass and also in support; Barba trailing Parker, Oates scoring a try each game, no Maranta, although he was ok, even interesting tonight.

Oh, that means a different game plan doesn't it?

If this is the 'worst Broncos team ever' then we really don't have much to worry about.

Hard to see him getting a spot in the first 17 though. Unless maybe we go with 4 forwards off the bench and no Granville.

Hard to see him getting a spot in the first 17 though. Unless maybe we go with 4 forwards off the bench and no Granville.

Im pretty sure Staggy would get a spot because a worker you can rely on is a must. That's one thing Stagg excels at and every team needs one. I know there are others but Id go with him to start the season with at least until he is injured or no longer fulfilling that role, ultra reliable.

Im pretty sure Staggy would get a spot because a worker you can rely on is a must. That's one thing Stagg excels at and every team needs one. I know there are others but Id go with him to start the season with at least until he is injured or no longer fulfilling that role, ultra reliable.

I agree that he's a quality player to have, but I'm just thinking

14. Granville/utility
15. Kennedy
16. Thaiday/Gillett/Glenn(whoever doesn't start in the 2nd row)
17. A front rower or Oates.

14. Granville/utility
15. Kennedy

yeah you'd think 17 would be tasi??? or LUI if he does end up staying? or dodds even.. he was going pretty well til injury. feck forgot hala too..

i can see macca being ready for 80 mins next year. we need it imo.

four forward bench would be the goods.

oates has gotta be in the 17

Last edited:
Dogs were atrocious, they'll be out first week of the finals.

Thank christ this season is over.

14. Granville/utility
15. Kennedy

For me Oates will start every game and he has all the skills and speed to play centre for couple of years, certainly till he bulks up too much. Hodges will not return anytime soon so Oates if chosen there will have the inside running. Kennedy and Hannant to start with Moose and Dodds/Hala .... Thaiday/ Glenn/ Gillett/ Stagg ..mmmm. We certainly will have enough forward power, perhaps you're right about Stagg. Tasi as well and Lui too. I want Granville to be on the bench so yeh, 3 forwards and a utility. If we get Barba and the other lad we just may have a great side and a real chance. Looks like next year will be full of selection headaches, always a good thing !

Thaiday's passing game was good to see. He's good at that and entirely under-used.

Hunt is showing more that he will be excellent next year

Oates. So lucky to have such a talent
Thaiday showed more urgency and energy for this game than any other this year. Hunt throwing a forward pass at a crucial time does not tell me he will be excellent next year.

We were lucky to get that win and having 4 penalties in a row is what lead to the first try, we then had another 2 after that before the Dogs got their lone 2nd half penalty.

The fact that it took Prince retiring to lift for a game is not a good sign, I stand by my comment that we will be lucky to make 12th next year.

Good to see Prince go out a winner, he deserves it, solid player who could have done so many more things were there not such talent in front of him throughout his career.

I think I can say for the first time this season that there wasn't a bad player in the team. Even Maranta did a solid job at fullback!

Credit where credit is due, despite some poor options in attack, we were the better team, and anyone saying that the Dogs didn't want it, is blind. However, we still missed another gazillion tackles, most of them through the ruck again, but we seem to be able to tackle properly on our line.

The refs were reasonable, in the sense that there were no howlers, but this time, the Dogs probably copped the worst of their mistakes, although Ennis by himself, got away with more forward passes than the rest of both teams together.

Prince was excellent in his farewell, getting involved everywhere, saving a try, and defending really well despite having to cop Tony Williams in his face most of the time.

Reed and Oates formed a very good partnership, and if Hunt had had more awareness, they probably would've bagged a couple more tries. The same goes for Gillett, who was also very good (although not MOM for mine), saving a try and running the ball with purpose. McGuire and especially Parker, were giants again, but Moose did miss a fair fw tackles out there.

Hunt was very good in patches, but also took pretty crappy options for someone from whom I expect more. He has great vision and awareness and needs to trust his instinct more, which is not equivalent to chance his hand more...

Maranta was a pretty pleasant surprise at fullback, certainly much better than winger and he can pass a ball under pressure too. Still no finisher though...

- Congratulations Staggy for your 200th game!
- Thank you Peter Wallace for all the years where you never left anything on the field. I wish you good luck and Penrith, and I will always be grateful that your last actions in a Broncos jersey assured a victory, because that will be the last memory of you Fourex will have! :laugh:
- Finally, well done and thank you Scotty Prince, you have been an endorsement for Rugby League. I wish you all the success in the world in your future endeavours, and it was an honour to have seen you play at the highest level. You nearly brought a tear to my eye when you were barely holding it together during the post-game interview by Locky. Cheers champion!

Did anyone else think Barba played shit? He looked like he didn't even want to play out there (Maybe he didn't)

Hunt looked pretty decent.. but one question, why did he get axed with 7 minutes to go? Fair enough Wallace did a decent bomb to set up Oates try.. but I mean seriously, Hunt's confidence must be absolutely gone when he get's hooked for a guy leaving the club in a dead rubber game.

Speaking of waste of talents how good was Krisnan Inu last night?

Put a few hits on Gillett and Reed. Couldn't stop him with his running game. I thought it was funny when he caught a chip kick late in the 2nd half and you could really see Reed line him up. Reed hits him as hard as he could, falls to the ground while Inu takes off for 30 metres.

Did anyone else think Barba played ****? He looked like he didn't even want to play out there (Maybe he didn't)

Hunt looked pretty decent.. but one question, why did he get axed with 7 minutes to go? Fair enough Wallace did a decent bomb to set up Oates try.. but I mean seriously, Hunt's confidence must be absolutely gone when he get's hooked for a guy leaving the club in a dead rubber game.
That's probably why he was hooked, to give the guy leaving the club a bit of a fair well.

Did anyone else think Barba played ****? He looked like he didn't even want to play out there (Maybe he didn't)

To give Wallace his send off. I think some people on here need to be a little more positive , to much gloom and doom .There is a reason why thaiday is a test back rower , his captaincy is questionable and could b a hindrance (Parker I agree would b a better option). Griffin & hunt deserve next season to come where their at, macca Imo is a great hooker . As for our win we beat a top 5 team with a backline of 2nd rowers and finished with a fullback that has played on the wing all year . Ffs

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Hurrijo
  • Broncosgirl
  • lynx000
  • NSW stables
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • barker
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.