11 B. Piakura 0 0 1 1 4 0 16 5 0 10 0 0 0m 120m 0 0
12 J. Riki 0 0 0 0 1 0 30 4 0 10 0 0 0m 94m 1 0
13 P. Carrigan 0 0 0 0 0 3 31 0 0 17 0 0 0m 158m 0 1
14 T. Smoothy 0 0 0 0 0 0 23 0 0 5 0 1 53m 15m 0 0
16 K. Hetherington 0 0 0 0 3 0 26 1 0 11 0 0 0m 100m 0 0
17 M. Taupau 0 0 0 0 0 0 19 0 0 4 0 0 0m 46m 0 0
18 X. Willison 0 0 0 1 2 1 16 2 0 9 0 0 0m 101m 0 0

Still too many mistakes for my liking.

Play one do or die pass for Mariner when he could have backed himself.

Lost ball early in the second half when Brisbane were rolling up-field, gifting Penrith the opportunity to extend their lead.

Then even at the death, remembered that he hadn't gone over the BlueBet sideline so decided to do it one more time.

Did some good things too and that last ditch attempt at Tago and the pick-up off the grubber kept Penrith from turning it into a bloodbath. Still, those earlier plays is what prevents him from becoming an elite.
Agreed, but he was put into a reshuffle. Being pushed over the sideline isn't his first stupid sideline error. I was more impressed with his attitude and willingness to roll up his sleeve.

The game was long gone. Our inability to adapt to a reshuffle, and losing the ruck killed us. We were monstered for the vast majority of the game.

just when you think Brent Read has gone complete down the NRL 360 Rabbit hole ... he comes out with todays article calling out the NRL for double standards in not charging May. also said that in the Super League or Yawnion, May would likely have been sent off

Kevvie also calling out the NRL, he said:

“It’s disappointing, I’m a bit confused about the rules with the duty of care for our players,” Walters said on Monday.

“Reece is going to miss four to six weeks.

“There was contact to the head which is duty of care.

“If the NRL is serious about concussions and protecting players, where does this sit with that?

“If this is let go, the next time Reece Walsh comes back on the field, what are they going to do again, exactly the same thing ... ‘Sorry’.

“It was contact to the head, mate.

“Something should have happened (to May) shouldn’t it?

“We now have Reece Walsh gone for six weeks.”

Walters also promised to take the matter to NRL football boss Graham Annesley, saying

“duty of care must be first and foremost”.

“I will speak to the right people,” he added.

“There’s a few things I’m not happy about last night, but we will speak through the right channels and go from there.

“If I speak publicly about it, it looks like I’m a sore loser which I’m certainly not, but what I am strong on is the protection of our players.

“I think our administrators have been really good, but the duty of care must be first and foremost.

“I have my opinions and the NRL won’t bother too much about what I think, it’s what they think.”

Quotes from Kev today after May escaped suspension.

NRL match-review co-ordinator Luke Patten defended the decision not to charge May.

“The match review committee considered the incident in great detail,” he said.

“In the lead up to impact, player May plants both feet with both arms down by his side in an attempt to make a body tackle.

“He does not lead with his shoulder or head unlike other previous incidents.

“Once the ball is passed by player Walsh, both players react to the imminent contact resulting in both players leaving the ground and accidentally clashing heads.

“The MRC does not see player May rotate his shoulder or raise his arms in an attempt to go through with the tackle.

“They do not consider his actions to be either careless or reckless.”
Must have watched a different game to me. At first it looked like an accidental head clash but on replay the ball had gone and May had decided that he was having a heavy collision ball or no ball with Walsh. It was a late, cheap shot that went horribly wrong and it makes all the talk from the NRL about protecting players from head injuries a case of hot air and bullshit.

NRL match-review co-ordinator Luke Patten defended the decision not to charge May.

“The match review committee considered the incident in great detail,” he said.

“In the lead up to impact, player May plants both feet with both arms down by his side in an attempt to make a body tackle.

“He does not lead with his shoulder or head unlike other previous incidents.

“Once the ball is passed by player Walsh, both players react to the imminent contact resulting in both players leaving the ground and accidentally clashing heads.

“The MRC does not see player May rotate his shoulder or raise his arms in an attempt to go through with the tackle.

“They do not consider his actions to be either careless or reckless.”

This motherfucker aint seeing shit tbf.

Kevvie also calling out the NRL, he said:

“It’s disappointing, I’m a bit confused about the rules with the duty of care for our players,” Walters said on Monday.

“Reece is going to miss four to six weeks.

“There was contact to the head which is duty of care.

“If the NRL is serious about concussions and protecting players, where does this sit with that?

“If this is let go, the next time Reece Walsh comes back on the field, what are they going to do again, exactly the same thing ... ‘Sorry’.

“It was contact to the head, mate.

“Something should have happened (to May) shouldn’t it?

“We now have Reece Walsh gone for six weeks.”

Walters also promised to take the matter to NRL football boss Graham Annesley, saying

“duty of care must be first and foremost”.

“I will speak to the right people,” he added.

“There’s a few things I’m not happy about last night, but we will speak through the right channels and go from there.

“If I speak publicly about it, it looks like I’m a sore loser which I’m certainly not, but what I am strong on is the protection of our players.

“I think our administrators have been really good, but the duty of care must be first and foremost.

“I have my opinions and the NRL won’t bother too much about what I think, it’s what they think.”
Kevvie coming out with both barrels.

I was thinking this myself... even if Reece was playing again this weekend teams will take note of what just happened and they've just been given the green light to keep doing it... how else are they going to stop Reece... legally?? surely not 🙄🙄

Fullbacks sweeping around the back is the most dangerous attacking move teams have... if wingers have free reign to just crash into the fullback even after passing then that pretty much puts the most important player on the opposition team at risk of being smashed from a vulnerable position.

I wonder if Sydney media would be saying the same if it was Ponga, Teddy, Turbo, Latrell, Papy, Drinkwater, Gutho, Edwards, Kennedy, Hammer, Campbell, etc. in the same position as last night... because it could be next time now that May has gone unpunished.

Kevvie coming out with both barrels.

I was thinking this myself... even if Reece was playing again this weekend teams will take note of what just happened and they've just been given the green light to keep doing it... how else are they going to stop Reece... legally?? surely not 🙄🙄

Fullbacks sweeping around the back is the most dangerous attacking move teams have... if wingers have free reign to just crash into the fullback even after passing then that pretty much puts the most important player on the opposition team at risk of being smashed from a vulnerable position.

I wonder if Sydney media would be saying the same if it was Ponga, Teddy, Turbo, Latrell, Papy, Drinkwater, Gutho, Edwards, Kennedy, Hammer, Campbell, etc. in the same position as last night... because it could be next time now that May has gone unpunished.

I really don’t think you’ll see teams practising and executing head clashes to put out the other team’s fullback. Seems high risk to the clasher as well.

That try got panned hard by even 'riff supporters on Reddit and other locations too. If your own fans are calling it clearly a double movement, you know the ref fucked up hard.
And there will be no repercussions for a terrible reffing performance, especially in the first half. The level of incompetence is disastrous.

I really don’t think you’ll see teams practising and executing head clashes to put out the other team’s fullback. Seems high risk to the clasher as well.
It's not so much aiming for head clashes it's the fact that they can charge in recklessly whilst the fullback is in a vulnerable state and only be at risk of a penalty at best.

If it's a Papy or similar small fullback (Campbell, Drinkwater, etc.) vs a 100kg winger they won't care what comes into contact because they'll come out of it better than the other bloke... as long as it's not shoulder or arm that makes contact they're all good.

They've given a free pass to blokes getting hit after passing for pretty small penalty.

Last year Kaufusi was binned for tackling a half milliseconds after he passed it and then suspended for 3-4 weeks... now it's all good apparently

It's not so much aiming for head clashes it's the fact that they can charge in recklessly whilst the fullback is in a vulnerable state and only be at risk of a penalty at best.

If it's a Papy or similar small fullback (Campbell, Drinkwater, etc.) vs a 100kg winger they won't care what comes into contact because they'll come out of it better than the other bloke... as long as it's not shoulder or arm that makes contact they're all good.

They've given a free pass to blokes getting hit after passing for pretty small penalty.

Last year Kaufusi was binned for tackling a half milliseconds after he passed it and then suspended for 3-4 weeks... now it's all good apparently
Yes the Kaufusi tackle is a perfect example.

So after i kicked the dog and threw my toys out of the cot, i realised the following:

Played without our metre eater and second phase creator.
played without our seasoned half back and calming influence.
Lost our X factor early
reshuffle due to injury stuffed our structure
**** the riff

Someone else mentioned it earlier, but I really think when he is captain, carrigan needs to get into he ref's ear more. I don't think I saw him questioning the ref once, while cleary and yeo were questioning the colour of the grass and had Sutton believing it was red.

The frustrating part about the refereeing performance is that there's enough plausible deniability to think they actually did a good job.

The NRL does not have a consistent stance on head clashes. Some weeks it's a sin-bin other weeks it's ruled an accident. The MRC seems to support the on-field ruling that it was just an accident so there's nothing to see. This despite the fact that May has come in with a lot of force, left his feet and hit the ball carrier late - how does this not attract a sanction? What message are we sending here? The NRL was in meltdown when Latrell fractured Manu's cheekbone, yet all they could do was crack jokes about Walsh.

Then the penalty in possession for Staggs interfering with Luai. Believe it or not, that rule was brought in recently and that's how they want it to be officiated. So you can loiter in the ruck, get in the way of the dummy half and waste time but the second the attacking team tries to shift you, it's your ball. That's not what the rule should be and should require some common sense in instances where it's a mutual infringement but that's clearly lacking.

Mitch Kenny's double movement comes down to the system. On the balance of probabilities looking at the footage he lunges forward to get over the line. However, like the Panthers found out in the WCC the video referees loathe to contradict the on-field official. So even though the vision looks bad, when it comes to one of those interpretive calls they'll stick with the on-field call - just like they did with Turuva in last year's fixture.

Penrith gave away four penalties/set-restarts on their line in a row and nobody was sent to the bin. I find this curious and the only possible explanation was that this was Sutton's attempt to game manage bring Brisbane into the game and he wasn't actually convinced they were penalties.

Later on Eisenhuth drops the ball, Sutton asks whether they want to challenge before just giving the penalty because I imagine Klein told him they couldn't challenge a ruck penalty. The third-man in contact from Carrigan seemed simultaneous, but it was a shocking look.

Then when Brisbane wanted to challenge they once again were informed they missed their opportunity. Again, the captain's challenge system is a joke and not even the production crew knew what was going on as they replayed it as if Klein was actually reviewing it. I think Klein would have stuck with the on-field decision regardless but again, bad optics.

The one that got me was Edwards getting a last tackle six again for playing it off the mark. He surrenders in the tackle, gets straight to his feet and Walters is pinged when Edwards tries to lunge forward. Way too harsh a penalty and it led directly to points and may as well been game over.

You bring these calls up, and they'll just call them 50/50s. We accept in the Luai instance there's new rules and what would have been either play on or a Broncos penalty in the past is now a Panthers penalty. However these new rules don't apply when they take out the Broncos star player with a late head high hit off the ball. The fact Brisbane couldn't activate an 18th man and just had to tread water before they knew exactly what was going on made for an awful contest.

And now it appears the Broncos are set for 4-6 weeks of awful contests thanks to this foul play.
Very articulate @Big Pete. Could not have put it any better, but to be quite frank, I could not be bothered putting in the effort you have to describe that omnishambles Sutton/Klien dished up to a national audience.

In terms of NRL consistency I've almost lost the will to live. 🤬 Their only claim to consistency is wrapped up in the narrative that they are consistently inconsistent.

Many of us keep harping on that we're so disillusioned with how the game has morphed into a referee's interpretation and are slowly going off the game. It must be close to reaching a serious non-returnable zenith. FMD we're already trying to match AFL numbers at games. The shit sandwiches we're serving up to the public is far from appetizing and is slowly but surely poisoning those punters on the fence and simultaneously totally disenfranchising punters who have had (up until now) a life long stake in the game.

I know my viewing hours have now dropped from almost every game to just our games. And the optics on show during them are nothing to write home about.

I've canned my Fox and Kayo subscriptions and have decided it is no big loss missing our games that are not free to air as the standard of officiating invariably ruins an otherwise great day I'm having (even when we do win).

Notwithstanding, I admire your dedication and perseverance.

So after i kicked the dog and threw my toys out of the cot, i realised the following:

Played without our metre eater and second phase creator.
played without our seasoned half back and calming influence.
Lost our X factor early
reshuffle due to injury stuffed our structure
**** the riff

And one of the most embarrassing non-double movement tries of all time.

Someone else mentioned it earlier, but I really think when he is captain, carrigan needs to get into he ref's ear more. I don't think I saw him questioning the ref once, while cleary and yeo were questioning the colour of the grass and had Sutton believing it was red.

True but he was probably stuffed, he left nothing in the tank out there.

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Johnny92
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Midean
  • Skyblues87
  • Hurrijo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bongo
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.