PRE-GAME [Round 8, 2024] Broncos vs Wests Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must admit Ezra and Cobbo out takes a little bit of excitement out of our attack, 2 guys that can make something out of nothing.
It will be interesting what role Baker plays off the bench, Kev seems to give minimal minutes to one forward when there's 3. Last few weeks Kobe and Willison/Te Kura have played bigger roles because we've carried Oates and Sailor in the last bench spot and it's worked well.
I assume we might also look at limiting Hass's (back from some time off) and Carrigan's (needs a bit of a rest) minutes in this game a bit too.

I assume we might also look at limiting Hass's (back from some time off) and Carrigan's (needs a bit of a rest) minutes in this game a bit too.
I guess it all depends how the game plays out.
By reports Kevvie was cracky about not finishing the job last week, so I expect us to be pretty ruthless in this one.

Long time reader. Finally took the plunge to join. Thought i would introduce myself. From the gloomy south of England. Been following the NRL and the Broncos for about 4 years. Think i know enough now to have a small imput in discussions. Probably still be wide of the mark with my limited knowledge, but with no people who actually follow the sport around me, would be great to engage with like minded fans. Anyway be easy with me. Up the Broncos.
Welcome to the forum mate, look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Broncos. You already sound like a great bloke from your choice in teams haha.

Hello all, very long time reader and supporter of the Broncs since 88. My 8 year old is a Broncs supporter now thanks to Reece (I will always love him for bringing my boy into the game). I'm expecting the Broncs to lay the tigers out. I'm ready for a statement win and this feels like the right time. I hope they are switched on and show no mercy. We are playing well enough to bring our cavalry back carefully. I 'd much rather see them coming off the bench and as others have said Reynolds can rest up until truly 100%. Thanks for having me.
Welcome legend.

I like that bench. Should be our bench every week.
Despite the big returns, an overall weaker team than last week, in my opinion.

We've lost two of our three big strike weapons in Ezra and Selwyn, who can be relied upon to create something out of nothing. So the onus will be even more on Reece, which will make him an even bigger target.

Consequently, if Reece (or any other back) goes down, which is a high possibility, we have no cover. Maybe Madden could go into the centres, Billy to 6 and Jesse to fullback. Or something involving Mariner. It won't be great, so it better not be in the first half again.

Jock was fine last week, but he and Reynolds play the same game, except Jock is somewhat faster and Reyno is quite a bit smarter. Both rely on getting the ball to our strike players.

On the plus side, having Payne back will take some of the pressure off Patty, and soften up their middle. Piakura is a bit of a wild card. We haven't seen all his tricks yet.

Thankfully, we're playing one of the weakest teams in the comp. We should still win.

LlThankfully, we're playing one of the weakest teams in the comp.
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

It's a good idea, I thought Cobbo would probably be out this week after that shoulder issue he had, Mam has been getting niggles the last few weeks too.

I probably would have gone Sailor for 6 instead of Madden but with Reynolds back it shouldn't matter too much.
Yes, it's a shame we didn't see more out of Tristan in the small chances he got off the bench. I feel like he would have brought more to the halves in combination with Reyno than Jock. But we haven't seen evidence of that in the last fortnight.

Despite the big returns, an overall weaker team than last week, in my opinion.

We've lost two of our three big strike weapons in Ezra and Selwyn, who can be relied upon to create something out of nothing. So the onus will be even more on Reece, which will make him an even bigger target.

Consequently, if Reece (or any other back) goes down, which is a high possibility, we have no cover. Maybe Madden could go into the centres, Billy to 6 and Jesse to fullback. Or something involving Mariner. It won't be great, so it better not be in the first half again.

Jock was fine last week, but he and Reynolds play the same game, except Jock is somewhat faster and Reyno is quite a bit smarter. Both rely on getting the ball to our strike players.

On the plus side, having Payne back will take some of the pressure off Patty, and soften up their middle. Piakura is a bit of a wild card. We haven't seen all his tricks yet.

Thankfully, we're playing one of the weakest teams in the comp. We should still win.
The space Reece will have on the left is going to be less. Both Cobbo and Mam attract alot more attention than Arthur's and Jock.
If I'm Jock I'm running the first few times I get the ball with Walsh sweeping out the back to put that threat in the defences head rather than all eyes on Walsh or im hitting Piakura short.
But I expect alot of the attack going right like last season over to Kotoni and Mariner.

Welcome to the forum mate, look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Broncos. You already sound like a great bloke from your choice in teams haha.
Thanks. Being pretty new still to the game. My thoughts on things will probably less in depth than everyone else on here. Saying that though it has been great to watch the steady improvement year on year. Love the of the cuff things we get from some plays. Especially Mam or walsh. Although does put your heart through a workout. I am hoping it will get easier in the long run!

We've been ordinary away from home this year and if that continues, we could lose this. Tigers aren't the side they were last year when we put them to the sword, they were in the fight against the Panthers but they lacked the ability to turn their opportunities into points and Panthers ran away with it in the end. If we smother them defensively and wrap up the ball and cut down on our errors we'll be fine, but can we do that? Time will tell.

And for the love of god, don't fall for a dummy from Api.

The space Reece will have on the left is going to be less. Both Cobbo and Mam attract alot more attention than Arthur's and Jock.
If I'm Jock I'm running the first few times I get the ball with Walsh sweeping out the back to put that threat in the defences head rather than all eyes on Walsh or im hitting Piakura short.
But I expect alot of the attack going right like last season over to Kotoni and Mariner.
Yeh Mam is a loss for sure, but again giving Madden another run out can't hurt his development.

It's a shame cause i was hoping to see more of this against the Tigers but obv. not likely given our absentees this week.

ADKq_NZG6jVVYFACBy51rDAV9XUP81HMgBqBv42MPKgu_sovrOqMZnEKKY16KHZp5ffSTvlopw8gbt19XccURWpUfqtcGmgadb-SWUDSDHeE2ue3bM-2mtRAt-ziNal7jjPMzeIiPYlLH9xX0EVaYFRodoYwGiWJwYtjY_U7Fgp4moLfR3N7y67MhJiDUaoQ0JVDP8aetRLUtNPkgsfnUcawwE6g8TXcEY125ojFMDCu1KnjBjju6lQ_wt-T9F1GJab-x-hyHLU=s0-d-e1-ft

Watch as Walsh attracts three defenders to him as he approaches the defensive line. Mam could easily throw the looped pass to Corey but sees Cobbo changing angles and goes short.

Can Madden do that? Maybe its Arey standing outside Walsh next time?

Maybe not, as its a new left edge. However, when you see this, maybe it just doesnt matter what the Tigers do.

ADKq_NZEdAATxtxc_YS_3l2jslP_f8sq3dYjmIFTBKnbyWjWHlZx7aJ1YbAPmyPEBD9N0oA20S_Rv3ktHK-YX6BJjU4yW9OAYTV8ASb6xWVzE7ICN77atPanVC84IZyf1ztJf--2WzJNQYZYFhf6DHEPSBCgNSr7h4UoSYoS1AvO8NBFkqKZd77VLZDluEERTg5LTbFIBOQUuzOh2ivYqLqM0EPAt4oWwTkLpsPwhM3lToc77C2BnVi0dp1-ZEY0r03mXbx6PJA=s0-d-e1-ft

Carrigans ball playing has elevated him above Yeo and Murray now as the games leading lock.

When Mam gets the pill there is a three on one out wide, he can see that Canberra have already decided to jam in. However, he still goes short.

Because....Recce Walsh. I didn't fully comprehend the fact he beat FIVE defenders on this run. Almost untouched.

Its the combination of speed, acceleration, agility, timing and footwork.

He is a rare, rare type of player. He could literally be the new Billy Slater.

Yeh Mam is a loss for sure, but again giving Madden another run out can't hurt his development.

It's a shame cause i was hoping to see more of this against the Tigers but obv. not likely given our absentees this week.

ADKq_NZG6jVVYFACBy51rDAV9XUP81HMgBqBv42MPKgu_sovrOqMZnEKKY16KHZp5ffSTvlopw8gbt19XccURWpUfqtcGmgadb-SWUDSDHeE2ue3bM-2mtRAt-ziNal7jjPMzeIiPYlLH9xX0EVaYFRodoYwGiWJwYtjY_U7Fgp4moLfR3N7y67MhJiDUaoQ0JVDP8aetRLUtNPkgsfnUcawwE6g8TXcEY125ojFMDCu1KnjBjju6lQ_wt-T9F1GJab-x-hyHLU=s0-d-e1-ft

Watch as Walsh attracts three defenders to him as he approaches the defensive line. Mam could easily throw the looped pass to Corey but sees Cobbo changing angles and goes short.

Can Madden do that? Maybe its Arey standing outside Walsh next time?

Maybe not, as its a new left edge. However, when you see this, maybe it just doesnt matter what the Tigers do.

ADKq_NZEdAATxtxc_YS_3l2jslP_f8sq3dYjmIFTBKnbyWjWHlZx7aJ1YbAPmyPEBD9N0oA20S_Rv3ktHK-YX6BJjU4yW9OAYTV8ASb6xWVzE7ICN77atPanVC84IZyf1ztJf--2WzJNQYZYFhf6DHEPSBCgNSr7h4UoSYoS1AvO8NBFkqKZd77VLZDluEERTg5LTbFIBOQUuzOh2ivYqLqM0EPAt4oWwTkLpsPwhM3lToc77C2BnVi0dp1-ZEY0r03mXbx6PJA=s0-d-e1-ft

Carrigans ball playing has elevated him above Yeo and Murray now as the games leading lock.

When Mam gets the pill there is a three on one out wide, he can see that Canberra have already decided to jam in. However, he still goes short.

Because....Recce Walsh. I didn't fully comprehend the fact he beat FIVE defenders on this run. Almost untouched.

Its the combination of speed, acceleration, agility, timing and footwork.

He is a rare, rare type of player. He could literally be the new Billy Slater.
With the threat Reece will create out the back Madden needs to take advantage of that and dig into his bag of tricks and show us what he's got. I think this is the game where he's got the freedom.
With that left side not having the usual strike, Reece could nearly act as a decoy for parts because all eyes will be on him.

Where Billy was at the same age Reece has more in his arsenal with the ball playing, as long as he keeps his head right he could be anything.

Highly annoyed that Cobbo is out after trading him into my SuperCoach team last week but that’s the game. Both Cobbo and Mam with a week off to rest will do them good. Hope to see our big forward pack roll through the Tigers and give a platform for our backs to thrive. Mariner to get a double I reckon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Johnny92
  • Skyblues87
  • Galah
  • LittleDavey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.