Rumour - Issac Luke to Brisbane

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
What makes him a scumbag ?

What am i missing here ?

out of pure anger dude tried to twist and snap his cousin's leg. and i mean literally break the leg in half with his bare hands. he even admitted to it.

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
You know what's wrong with him.

Classic example is his game last night. Tearing it up in the first 20 min....then makes a couple of crucial errors

and goes into hiding

only to pop his head up later..... to make more errors.

He'll never be a "great" player until he gets this shit out of his game.

I don't think it's possible.

thank you! I get really frustrated about the wraps that Luke gets so consistently from people. I actually think he is quite overrated these days.

people just seem to love hookers based on the amount of dummy half running they do. if a hooker runs heaps then people seem to automatically connect that with being a superstar, even if the rest of their game is inconsistent or error prone. not to mention the fact that Luke is a really horrible defender. I know he can make good tackles cause I've seen him monster guys 1-on-1 before but most of the time he seems really sloppy. He still misses so many tackles, which is really unacceptable for a hooker.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
thank you! I get really frustrated about the wraps that Luke gets so consistently from people. I actually think he is quite overrated these days.

people just seem to love hookers based on the amount of dummy half running they do. if a hooker runs heaps then people seem to automatically connect that with being a superstar, even if the rest of their game is inconsistent or error prone. not to mention the fact that Luke is a really horrible defender. I know he can make good tackles cause I've seen him monster guys 1-on-1 before but most of the time he seems really sloppy. He still misses so many tackles, which is really unacceptable for a hooker.

Your right with what your saying, but his defence can be improved
luke has what macca doesn't, speed,attack and the ability to change his plan in a split second e.g spotting a hole and going through

And he can play the full 80.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
and they both get sloppy .......

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
Your right with what your saying, but his defence can be improved

haha, people were saying his defence could be improved back in 2008 when the same criticisms were levelled at him. 5 years later he is still a really poor defender.

I don't know whether he is incapable of improving his defence or just unwilling to put the time and effort ... but either way, saying Luke can improve his defence is like saying Darius Boyd can stop being soft and actually go hard at the contest. Both of those things could happen but I wouldn't be betting any money on it

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
He's matured lately but his game has actually become extremely inconsistent this year. The last few game macca has played better than luke has this season. This season he has mostly been playing off reputation and been extremely average.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I dunno about him supposedly being the 3rd best hooker.

I'd say these are better - Smith, Farah, J Friend, M Ballin. Segeyaro and Srama are on their way to being better too.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I would only take Luke as the bench hooker, never as a starter!

I agree with Fourex about something... can someone please check my temperature?

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
out of pure anger dude tried to twist and snap his cousin's leg. and i mean literally break the leg in half with his bare hands. he even admitted to it.

Well that's what we need, a player with a bit of mongrel in him.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Agreed. We looked like we played with no fire all season. Bring him in, we need an angry maggot.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Yeah but maybe one that can play, not hard to get that forward pack rolling . If we sign him we go backwards , macca is a smart player yeah he is not that quick but neither is Smith !! The guy is a weasel !!!

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
How often does Maccs get us rolling down the field though? I mean he doesn't do a bad job but regardless of how people feel about Luke, he is a much better hooker and is also good enough and fast enough to support breaks. Having him and Barba in the team gives us a lot of speed and creativity.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
How often does Maccs get us rolling down the field though? I mean he doesn't do a bad job but regardless of how people feel about Luke, he is a much better hooker and is also good enough and fast enough to support breaks. Having him and Barba in the team gives us a lot of speed and creativity.
WTF
Macca would look like a superstar following their pack down field.
We will not sign Luke

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
We were third overall for meters gained last year not sure about this year but couldn't be real bad , our forward pack is small compared to the top sides , so how doesn't that say he gets us rolling forward. I'm sure macca scored a few and set up some has a far better kicking game , Luke gets lots of room to move with his big forwards and is quick. But has plenty of mistakes and penalties in his game which rubs out his good work , i think people get blind sighted by the fact he is always amongst it be it good and mostly bad. I really think it would be a waste of money

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Isaac Luke's attacking game is massively over-rated. People go on and on about his spark out of dummy half, but I've been watching it for years and nine times out of ten, when he makes a decent scoot, it's because the player playing the ball either steps sideways to do it, or illegally pushes the markers out of the way, giving Luke an uninterrupted passage. IMO the technique was the instigator for the NRL 'cracking down' a few years ago on playing the ball properly and in the correct spot, however just like Slater never getting busted for leading with his feet, it's gone on to be ignored and they're getting away with murder. Burgess f course is one of the main ones. Next time you watch a game watch him closely - there must be a call to say that Luke's running up for a scoot because the tackled player plays the ball and leaps forward and often even bear-hugs the markers to take them out. Of course they make it look like they trip, or they're being fouled by the markers, the technique reeks of Bellamy actually, no surprises there.

So really, he's being made to look better than he really is by some clever, but ultimately illegal foul play. The Rabbitohs, just like the Roosters and Manly, however, are bordering on illegal plays in just about every ruck, so it gets to a point like a couple of weeks ago where someone said you can't penalise them for what they're doing otherwise you'd have to penalise them every play. So the refs pussy out and instead of showing balls, they wilt to the people who bitch about 'letting the game flow'. In contrast, the Broncos under Griffin are very clean, too clean in fact, that when they do do a minor infringement it stands out blatantly to the refs and they blow the whistle straight away.

As for his defence, it's been well known that not only does he do considerably less in his minutes than just about every other big-minute hooker, but his effective tackling % is horrible for someone who defends in the middle. McCullough is way superior in this regard.

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
Isaac Luke's attacking game is massively over-rated. People go on and on about his spark out of dummy half, but I've been watching it for years and nine times out of ten, when he makes a decent scoot, it's because the player playing the ball either steps sideways to do it, or illegally pushes the markers out of the way, giving Luke an uninterrupted passage. IMO the technique was the instigator for the NRL 'cracking down' a few years ago on playing the ball properly and in the correct spot, however just like Slater never getting busted for leading with his feet, it's gone on to be ignored and they're getting away with murder. Burgess f course is one of the main ones. Next time you watch a game watch him closely - there must be a call to say that Luke's running up for a scoot because the tackled player plays the ball and leaps forward and often even bear-hugs the markers to take them out. Of course they make it look like they trip, or they're being fouled by the markers, the technique reeks of Bellamy actually, no surprises there.

I think like most hookers, Luke gets a hand from dodgy plays and interfering with the marker but he is still a genuinely dangerous player. he is elusive and surprisingly strong for a man of his size. even if the NRL cracked on all those things he'd still be one of the most dangerous dummy-half runners in the game.

and apart from that, when we're talking about his quality as a player why does it matter that he succeeds because he exploits the status quo? that is like complaining that Smith is only a superb defender because referees don't crack down on wrestling in the ruck and therefore let him get away with a variety of tactics that he is famous for. It doesn't really change how good they are. It is just complaining because those players have managed to adapt better to the way the game is played.

every hooker in the NRL tries to take advantage of illegal tactics in the play-the-ball and various ways of interfering with the marker. It isn't like all the other hookers in the NRL are trying to play the game in the right spirit and Luke is just being a dodgy ****. they all do it and Luke is just particularly adept at it. Good players and winners learn how to take advantage of the situation, while losers just whinge about how its not fair.

Active Now

• MrRobot
  • pennywisealfie
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.