PLAYER Selwyn Cobbo

B

Broncorob

QCup Player
Jul 26, 2020
No one does walsh things except walsh. Cobbo could easily become a fullback.
Will never have the creativity of an elite centre like Billy. Yes he could be a great fullback but he is a game breaking elite centre. Does not need and won't cope with elite money fullback role. Just loves no pressure footy with his mates.

B

Broncorob

QCup Player
Jul 26, 2020
Will never have the creativity of an elite centre like Billy. Yes he could be a great fullback but he is a game breaking elite centre. Does not need and won't cope with elite money fullback role. Just loves no pressure footy with his mates.
fullback like Billy..oops

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Cobbo will be our Hodges I feel, elite centre and able to cover fullback when needed at a very high level too.

Give him time and maturity he will be such an important player for us long term, he is significantly better than Hodges was in his early career thus far I will say, hopefully no roosters action though.

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
Cobbo will be our Hodges I feel, elite centre and able to cover fullback when needed at a very high level too.

Give him time and maturity he will be such an important player for us long term, he is significantly better than Hodges was in his early career thus far I will say, hopefully no roosters action though.
The one parallel I've always drawn in my mind was how Hodgo always looked like he was putting in 50% - but he was absolutely moving. Cobbo is exactly this. He looks like he's operating at half pace but he's just got such long legs, he's covering good distance, quickly.

As he gets a bit more upper body strength through a bit more maturing, really hope he can develop a terrifying fend. He has it in him, but can't quick send the bigger centers packing just yet.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
The one parallel I've always drawn in my mind was how Hodgo always looked like he was putting in 50% - but he was absolutely moving. Cobbo is exactly this. He looks like he's operating at half pace but he's just got such long legs, he's covering good distance, quickly.

As he gets a bit more upper body strength through a bit more maturing, really hope he can develop a terrifying fend. He has it in him, but can't quick send the bigger centers packing just yet.
Alot of that came from his knee injury he got early in his 2nd stint with us, which made him change how he ran, he still ran fast but the movement made him look slow.

Hodges mentality grew and grew over the years and he made himself elite from that, Cobbo on the otherhand is a genetic freak in the likes of Inglis, if he can grow like Hodges will he will be insane, Cobbos fending ability is as good as Manu tbh, he lacks the footwork at this stage of him but he isn't far off I would say, and Cobbo is much more creative than Manu, we saw that in the Penrith game, we lost badly that game mostly from other factors defensively, but he plugged into Walsh set plays like a natural in attack.

It's not even out of the question he could be a potential 6 tbh, but that would depend on other factors with our team going forward which at this point I don't see happening.

B

Broncorob

QCup Player
Jul 26, 2020
Alot of that came from his knee injury he got early in his 2nd stint with us, which made him change how he ran, he still ran fast but the movement made him look slow.

Hodges mentality grew and grew over the years and he made himself elite from that, Cobbo on the otherhand is a genetic freak in the likes of Inglis, if he can grow like Hodges will he will be insane, Cobbos fending ability is as good as Manu tbh, he lacks the footwork at this stage of him but he isn't far off I would say, and Cobbo is much more creative than Manu, we saw that in the Penrith game, we lost badly that game mostly from other factors defensively, but he plugged into Walsh set plays like a natural in attack.

It's not even out of the question he could be a potential 6 tbh, but that would depend on other factors with our team going forward which at this point I don't see happening.
But...could be the best roving centre ever! Still a kid. I can't wait to see a couple of seasons at centre. Absolute weapon. People rave about Manu..Cobbo will be better

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
But...could be the best roving centre ever! Still a kid. I can't wait to see a couple of seasons at centre. Absolute weapon. People rave about Manu..Cobbo will be better
I think he would excel at that role, but more after he has a full hold on the centre role, he has been good there thus far this year and I think he is wasted big time if he isn't Centre for QLD in game 1.

B

Broncorob

QCup Player
Jul 26, 2020
I think he would excel at that role, but more after he has a full hold on the centre role, he has been good there thus far this year and I think he is wasted big time if he isn't Centre for QLD in game 1.
agree. a few games into being a centre and he is touted for origin...he is still growing and learning. i hope he is a Bronco forever. Patty Walsh and Cobbo. thats a basis for a team

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
agree. a few games into being a centre and he is touted for origin...he is still growing and learning. i hope he is a Bronco forever. Patty Walsh and Cobbo. thats a basis for a team
I would add Mam to that, I think he will be one of the best 6's the game has ever seen.

Think about this, he is still nearly 2 years younger than Munster was when he made his NRL debut.

Walsh imo though if he can keep his head will be the best player in the game ever, it's a big ask though to say he keeps his head, imo he is already the best player of his age or even near it ever though.

B

Broncorob

QCup Player
Jul 26, 2020
I would add Mam to that, I think he will be one of the best 6's the game has ever seen.

Think about this, he is still nearly 2 years younger than Munster was when he made his NRL debut.

Walsh imo though if he can keep his head will be the best player in the game ever, it's a big ask though to say he keeps his head, imo he is already the best player of his age or even near it ever though.
You are so right. Add Mam and thats a 10 year premiership window

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
The thing that impressed me was Cobbo’s tank and positional play. He has some real strengths defensively that Walsh could learn from to be honest. But for a guy his size to run around like that, hobbling in between I might add, that was the closest thing we are going to see to Inglis again. Was great to watch.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Selwyn had.a great game and is a freak. No surprise he stood out at fullback because fullback gives the freak of a player more air time and involvement.

While you wouldn’t regret signing him as a full time FB, I think overtime you’d notice his limited skill set in that position. Great ball runner but doesn’t have a structured play making bone in his body.

No coincidence that we scored 17 less points with Walsh out.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Selwyn had.a great game and is a freak. No surprise he stood out at fullback because fullback gives the freak of a player more air time and involvement.

While you wouldn’t regret signing him as a full time FB, I think overtime you’d notice his limited skill set in that position. Great ball runner but doesn’t have a structured play making bone in his body.

No coincidence that we scored 17 less points with Walsh out.

You don't think though that Cobbo himself not being at centre and not having three quarters of the usual spine there contributed to that though?

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
Feel like that game was abit of a coming of age/breakout game for Selwyn.
Felt like he put all his assets together and tore Manly to shreds, he was using his size, strength and speed. He's been slowly figuring all that out game by game this year and he was ready to break a game open.
I'd like to see us give him more clear early ball because everything we seen last night he can do in the centres. Even if Walsh or Mam drift across field Selwyn drops under and see what he can do.
His interviewing skills have also stepped up a knotch aswell.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
I know Walsh and Mam are excitement machines, but there’s something extra special about a “selwyn moment” that brings me so much joy. I don’t think there’s anything like it really, he just does “selwyn things” things no one else can ever do.

And then he’ll turn around and derp it up in Selwyn way, but he does it with a giant smile on his face so…….

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I know Walsh and Mam are excitement machines, but there’s something extra special about a “selwyn moment” that brings me so much joy. I don’t think there’s anything like it really, he just does “selwyn things” things no one else can ever do.

And then he’ll turn around and derp it up in Selwyn way, but he does it with a giant smile on his face so…….
His special moments seem to just happen with so little fuss. It’s like he’s not even trying and something miraculous happens

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Bucking Beads
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosarethebest
  • theshed
  • Jazza
  • lakers133334
  • Swordfish
  • MrMoore
  • Santa
  • Strop
  • Old Mate
  • Brocko
  • sooticus
  • Dash
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.