Teams we have beaten in season 2013

Ah yes so Griffin is steering the team forwards whilst the fans are requesting sideways moves. Gotcha. :001_rolleyes:

I don't think I implied anything of the sort. I wasn't commenting at all on the quality of Griffin's moves, I was just commenting that fans always call for changes and those changes are often just for the sake of changing something rather than because they will actually improve the team.

Ask the players ......they're the ones out there, not Griffin.

Surely there's some accountability here for the players to take a share in.

Of course every player is accountable for their personal contribution. As for asking the players, that's easy with this team. Most of them are standing around wondering where the ball is

Finally, hiring a wooden spoon winning coach from the previous year as a defensive coach is like hiring a blind person to be your tour guide.

What a mess.

I like this part ......:laugh:

as for the rest, I must have missed your post where you answered my question about what positional changes you personally would have made?

I can understand criticism where it's warranted. Without offering up alternatives though, makes the criticism a little hollow IMO.

Why does the form second rower start on the bench?

TBH the point I was more highlighting was the dropping of Norman, benching/dropping of Wallace, Hunt starting and Hoffman to FB. I copy and pasted the team list from another forum and didn't really pay attention to the other postions. Gillett would of course start, although he did struggle there at the start of the year from memory.

I don't think I implied anything of the sort. I wasn't commenting at all on the quality of Griffin's moves, I was just commenting that fans always call for changes and those changes are often just for the sake of changing something rather than because they will actually improve the team.
Do you see many Melbourne or Manly fans screaming for changes right now?
I don't think many fans are calling for changes to teams when things are working well, so your comment is wrong.

Football fans that I know mostly fall into the "if its not broken don't fix it" category, what you are saying is the total opposite and not something I could honestly believe.
Unless you are just saying that "for the sake of it"?

Do you see many Melbourne or Manly fans screaming for changes right now?
I don't think many fans are calling for changes to teams when things are working well, so your comment is wrong.

Football fans that I know mostly fall into the "if its not broken don't fix it" category, what you are saying is the total opposite and not something I could honestly believe.
Unless you are just saying that "for the sake of it"?

Well I avoid Manly fans like the plague but I have the misfortune of spending much time with Melbourne fans and I can say with absolute certainty that they are not immune from cries for changes, despite their success over the entire season. There were calls for shifting Widdop around to accommodate Finch in the halves and this entire year has seen a veritable shitstorm amongst Storm fans over who should play in the backs along with Chambers. there is non-stop calls for O'Neill in the centres or out (depending on the week) and how Duffie/Fonua/Waqa/ONiell do/don't deserve to be in the NRL.

and I'm sure you've heard talk about changes to the Queensland Origin side, despite us having a tremendous record. Winning 7 straight didn't stop fans from calling for changes to the back row before the series or calls to dump Slater in favour of Inglis. And those same calls are going on right now despite the fact that logic would dictate that 'if its not broken, don't fix it'.

Winning silences some people but they are no shortage of fans who are constantly white-anting for change or having knee-jerk reactions to any less-than-perfect performance. if you haven't encountered a lot of those fans I think you must be hanging out with a very small and quite unique group of rugby league fans.

and I'm sure you've heard talk about changes to the Queensland Origin side, despite us having a tremendous record. Winning 7 straight didn't stop fans from calling for changes to the back row before the series or calls to dump Slater in favour of Inglis. And those same calls are going on right now despite the fact that logic would dictate that 'if its not broken, don't fix it'.
just because you win doesnt mean its not broken, or it couldnt be improved. The last 2 years the QLD team has played downright terribly for large patches of matches, if not entire matches. We came within a point of losing last year, and almost as close this year.

In 2012 and 2013s origins, Gillett was pathetic. absolutely pathetic in pretty much all 6 games. just because we won it shouldnt mean that he keeps his spot.

just because you win doesnt mean its not broken, or it couldnt be improved. The last 2 years the QLD team has played downright terribly for large patches of matches, if not entire matches. We came within a point of losing last year, and almost as close this year.

In 2012 and 2013s origins, Gillett was pathetic. absolutely pathetic in pretty much all 6 games. just because we won it shouldnt mean that he keeps his spot.

i don't disagree with that - except for your assessment of Gillett in 2013. If you are really bored and follow this train of discussion back you'll find I'm just arguing that there is always a very vocal portion of fans calling for changes, whether a team is doing well or not.

i don't disagree with that - except for your assessment of Gillett in 2013.

I'd agree with that. Definate improvement from the 2012 Gillett to the 2013 one.........both for Brisbane and QLD.

I'd agree with that. Definate improvement from the 2012 Gillett to the 2013 one.........both for Brisbane and QLD.
improved yes, but still terribad in origin.

KingWebcke, i agree that there will always be people calling for change, warranted or not - but just because youre winning doesnt mean its not warranted.

KingWebcke, i agree that there will always be people calling for change, warranted or not - but just because youre winning doesnt mean its not warranted.

of course, there is always room for improvement, even in the best teams

Gillett wasn't bad in Origin.
He was at worst the 3rd best second rower, ahead of Te'o, Harrison, McQueen and Papalli, with only Thaiday and Myles ahead of him.

It is an extremely harsh marker who criticises Gillett for Origin this year. He was playing in a very limited role where he got 20-30 minutes a game to give the main guys a rest. he made good runs and (very surprisingly) didn't miss many tackles. apart from giving away a few penalties in the last game when NSW were surging I don't think he did much wrong.

he didn't do anything spectacular but I think he did what Mal required. I can't even begin to think of what part of his play was 'absolutely pathetic' or 'terribad'

If you are really bored and follow this train of discussion back you'll find I'm just arguing
For the sake of it. :thumbup1:

It is an extremely harsh marker who criticises Gillett for Origin this year. He was playing in a very limited role where he got 20-30 minutes a game to give the main guys a rest. he made good runs and (very surprisingly) didn't miss many tackles. apart from giving away a few penalties in the last game when NSW were surging I don't think he did much wrong.

he didn't do anything spectacular but I think he did what Mal required. I can't even begin to think of what part of his play was 'absolutely pathetic' or 'terribad'
Gilletts performance this year was a massive improvement on last years effort.

individually, some players like gillet have been going ok but as a team we suck really bad and that's all that really matters

Gillett wasn't bad in Origin.
He was at worst the 3rd best second rower, ahead of Te'o, Harrison, McQueen and Papalli, with only Thaiday and Myles ahead of him.
papalli got 10 minutes in first game, maybe 20 at most in 2nd. cant really rate him on that.
mcqueen killed it, was way better than gillett, especially in game 3.

papalli got 10 minutes in first game, maybe 20 at most in 2nd. cant really rate him on that.
mcqueen killed it, was way better than gillett, especially in game 3.

Gotta agree that McQueen outplayed Gillett in Origin.

I thought Papalli looked like a beast in the time he was on the field. but it is hard to compare him to other players since he played so little.

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • Maroon4life
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Stix
  • Harry Sack
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.