Union players not in our salary cap

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
If the NRL governing body get it right and allow each club to sign two players maximum from union, what players do you think would fit into our current setup?And their wages do not count on our salary cap.

Should we make players who have previously played NRL exempt from this rule?

Would you like to see their wage bill be for the life of their stint at the club I.e. if they move to another NRL club their exemption expires and the new club have to pay them full market value? Or should they remain exempt from the cap no matter which team they play for?

Does anyone think this will drive up NRL player prices more? If Hass sees someone of his quality from union getting 1.5...heaven help our club.

Does anyone think this will drive up NRL player prices more? If Hass sees someone of his quality from union getting 1.5...heaven help our club.

a) there is no-one even close to his quality in union
b) I can't actually remember a union player make it big in rugby league, so I doubt it is going to be an issue.

If the NRL do go down this route, then they need to protect against rorting; e.g players who were in rugby league, but took the money on offer only to try to come back to league a few years later and get some or all of their salary exempt from the cap ... Suaalii, i'm looking at you and the Roosters when i say this

a) there is no-one even close to his quality in union
b) I can't actually remember a union player make it big in rugby league, so I doubt it is going to be an issue.

If the NRL do go down this route, then they need to protect against rorting; e.g players who were in rugby league, but took the money on offer only to try to come back to league a few years later and get some or all of their salary exempt from the cap ... Suaalii, i'm looking at you and the Roosters when i say this
Vunivalu back at the storm would be another

Michael O'Connor.....Ricky Stuart....

Michael O'Connor.....Ricky Stuart....
Legitimately…. Anyone else?!
Only asking, because I don’t think I could name one player in the Aussie Union team.. or ANY union team for that matter….
Actually, Koribete?! Is he in there?

How about from this millennium 🤔🤔
There's players like Will Warbrick and Lachlan Miller who had Rugby 7s backgrounds, but even they went through an apprenticeship before they played NRL. If you went down that route, Semi Radradra would be the clear stand-out, but he still came through the Eels NYC system.

I don't know if there's ever been a professional Rugby player who has slotted straight into the NRL. Even the Garrick Morgan signing may have been before that transition.

Besides Nawaqanitawase who the Roosters are after, there's no one in the Wallabies i'd be excited about. NRL clubs have the best high school rugby players signed or on scholarships anyway. If it goes ahead more NZ sevens players will definitely be looked at.

Michael Hooper would be nice even if he's a bit old

Surely vlandys is bs-ing here. It'd be a ridiculous and stupid move to do this. The nrl salary cap is already dodgy as **** but this would further undermine its credibility. Also, it gives union publicity leading into a world cup that they need all the help in the world to get the Australian public involved, and it drives up the prices of our players whilst also encouraging them to leave for rugby union for a year or 2 to play in the world cup.

So, so, so short-sighted. It's actually an ARU-like stratergy/move. Idiots

Surely vlandys is bs-ing here. It'd be a ridiculous and stupid move to do this. The nrl salary cap is already dodgy as **** but this would further undermine its credibility. Also, it gives union publicity leading into a world cup that they need all the help in the world to get the Australian public involved, and it drives up the prices of our players whilst also encouraging them to leave for rugby union for a year or 2 to play in the world cup.

So, so, so short-sighted. It's actually an ARU-like stratergy/move. Idiots

Not to mention, as others have said, this could move managers to get the best prospects to shift across to union in the expectation of a bigger payday coming back to league. That has the potential to actually help Australian rugby union and send some of the best league talent over there, not all of them will come back. Yet another stupid idea from a stupid management.

It restricted to just rugby australia players or all of world rugby? Few kiwis im sure the wahs would be keen on

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.