Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
D4bb98e1c877a511c494298b13f1dc5d

State of Origin 2018: Kevin Walters backs Anthony Milford to damage the Blues

June 5, 2018

QUEENSLAND coach Kevin Walters has blasted suggestions Anthony Milford is out of form, and has given the Maroons dynamo a licence to thrill in the Origin opener.

Billy Slater’s withdrawal with a hamstring complaint has opened the door for Milford, who will start off the bench as Queensland’s speedy super-sub before 85,000 fans in Game One at the MCG.

There is a sentiment Milford is lucky to win a Maroons recall after a patchy season at the Broncos, where the highest-paid player in the club’s history has struggled to deliver on his $1 million price tag.

But Walters, who first mentored Milford at the Broncos in 2015, backed the 23-year-old to handle a Mr Fixit role and has given him the green light to attack NSW at any opportunity.

“I disagree with him not being that good this season,” Walters said.

“The Broncos have struggled as a group, but I’ve seen some great touches from ‘Milf’, particularly the last couple of weeks, where Anthony can do special things on a field.

“Our whole philosophy around Milf is for him to get the ball and let him run — that is his go-to play.

“When he gets on for Queensland, that’s what we want him doing, just challenging the Blues anywhere with his explosive running.”

Exactly 12 months ago, Milford graduated to the Origin ranks, making his debut at five-eighth after champion pivot Johnathan Thurston was ruled out with a shoulder injury.

The quick-stepping Milford looked dangerous early, but suffered a head knock in the second half and failed to finish in Queensland’s nightmare 28-4 loss at Suncorp Stadium in Origin I.

Now, amid one of the most tumultuous build-ups in Origin history, Milford gets another chance to vindicate Walters’ faith by terrorising the Blues in his second game for Queensland.

“Milford will be like all our No.14s,” Walters said. “I have a lot of faith in him, as does the rest of the team.

“He can do some things on a footy field that not a lot of players can do. At this level that’s very important. Depending on the situation of the game and what the scoreline is, that’s how we will bring Anthony into the game.

“He is so dangerous with the ball. We have a great relationship, Anthony and myself, and we need him when required to bring those special qualities that only he can.

“His first Origin … he will admit was disappointing for him. But the second time around, I hope he gets the opportunity to show his class at this level.”

Source: Courier Mail

Well, it'll be good to see him play a role where he's not the halfback.

I do think being made to play halfback at the broncos is only going to improve him as a player in the long term though.

He’s been really good this year, just needs help in the halves, he’s game management has improved out of sight.

Ffs, his form is light years ahead of Morgan & JT this year!

Yeah but nobody is writing articles complaining about Morgan being picked

Well not that I've seen anyway

Active Now

• Lozza
  • Bish
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Spoon
  • FACTHUNT
  • Organix
  • Aldo
  • lynx000
  • Broncosarethebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.