'We had to lose one to win one': Cleary's grand final warning for Broncos

BHQArticleImageReynoldsCleary

Broncos coach Kevin Walters is unconcerned about Brisbane’s lack of grand final experience after his Penrith counterpart Ivan Cleary admitted the Panthers needed to lose a premiership decider before winning one.

Penrith are aiming to become the first team in 40 years to complete a three-peat and have nine players making their fourth grand final appearance, while four others have played in one or more premiership deciders.

In comparison, halfback Adam Reynolds and second-rower Kurt Capewell are the only Broncos to have experienced a grand final.

With 13 members of last year’s premiership winning team in their squad, the Panthers boast a combined total of 32 grand final appearances, compared to just three for the Broncos.

Cleary told a press conference at Circular Quay on Thursday that Penrith had been ambushed by the Storm in the 2020 grand final but used the experience to beat South Sydney and Parramatta in the 2021 and 2022 deciders.

“Four years ago, when we first made a grand final, we were very young and we came into the game with 17 wins on the trot so we were feeling pretty good about ourselves, so we were sort of shocked that day,” Cleary said.

“For us, I think we actually had to lose one to sort of understand what it was all about.

"I don't think every team has to go through that, but we did, and there's lots of different factors involved in that.

“We played a team in the Melbourne Storm, who were very experienced, and they taught us a lesson that day, which was a good lesson as it turned out.

“Every year is different, every team is different and every situation is different, but there are a few things that we feel - in terms of preparation and just the week this week, for example - it is different to any other week.

“It's nice to go through it, and it doesn't mean you're going to win, but there are some familiarities that I’d like to think will help us on Sunday.”

Penrith are now in a similar position to Melbourne in 2020, as the Storm had played in the 2016, 2017 and 2018 grand finals, while the Broncos – like the 2020 Panthers – are chasing their first premiership in 17 years.

However, Walters insisted Brisbane were better prepared than Penrith had been, despite 11 of his squad not having experienced a sudden death final until three weeks ago and four never having played at Accor Stadium.

“I don't concur that we're in the same position as Penrith were three or four years ago,” Walters said. “Our team has actually got 10 current or former State of Origin players so we've got experience.

"I think experience counts - not so much on grand final day, but general experience in big games - and I feel we have that.

“Our captain [Reynolds] has played in two grand finals, Capes has been in involved in a grand final and, as I said, we’ve got great experience through State of Origin.

“We've got a couple of international players in our team, as well, so I feel that even though we're a young side, we're also a very mature side when it comes to rugby league experience

“Certainly, the grand final is a different week to any other, so this is new to us, but everything about the game on Sunday will be the same.”

Broncos lock Pat Carrigan, who was a member of last year’s World Cup winning Australian team at Old Trafford, was one of four players involved in Queensland’s Origin series win, while Capewell has previously played for the Maroons.

Prop Payne Haas, centre Kotoni Staggs and Reynolds have played for NSW, while Jordan Riki (New Zealand) and Herbie Farnworth (England) are current internationals.

Carrigan said Brisbane players had sought advice from Reynolds and Capewell, as well as Walters, who played in the club’s 1992, 1993, 1997 (Super League), 1998 and 2000 premiership wins.

“The boys had a little bit of a chat at the start of the week, just saying it's a busy week, and obviously we have Kev, who's been in plenty of these experiences as well.” Carrigan said “I think we've just got to enjoy it and make the most of it.

“It's my first experience this week, it's been awesome to be a part of it and get amongst the fans so, yeh, it is a different build-up but at the end of the day, come Sunday, we're just playing rugby league.

“That's how I think about it and I'm just excited to get an opportunity to play against Penrith. They've been the best team in the comp for the last four years and this is an opportunity for us to have a crack.”

Eels were shell shocked too. Will find out early whether it matters.

It’s all mind games. Trying to throw doubt into our players heads.

The Panthers may have had to ... we don't

Look....I don't wanna nit pick...but
it was Ivan who said it
not Nathan.
Just Saying Amanda Seales GIF by NBC

If Penrith are up 20-0 at half-time, will you continue watching? Honest question
I would.

Firstly it's a grand final, who knows how long it will be before you're in one again so ride it to the end whatever way it goes

Secondly, one of the best sporting moments of my life was seeing Liverpool come back from 3-0 down at HT in the champions league final. Which is probably equivalent to 30-0 down. Miracles do happen.

Did you stay watching when the Broncs were up over the Storm 20-0? Honest question
went mia for the longest time after that game lol
even @ParraMania would come back after being flogged and take his lumps

I would.

Firstly it's a grand final, who knows how long it will be before you're in one again so ride it to the end whatever way it goes

Secondly, one of the best sporting moments of my life was seeing Liverpool come back from 3-0 down at HT in the champions league final. Which is probably equivalent to 30-0 down. Miracles do happen.
On any given day......

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Evander
  • Lurker
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.