NEWS 'We're not starting from scratch': How Brisbane plans to cover for the loss of two of their biggest stars

BHQArticleImageWalshHaasL

Brisbane's resurrection as an NRL powerhouse happened on the back of some of the best players in the sport, but as the Broncos weather a wretched early-season injury toll, it will be their lesser lights who will need to lead the way.

Already without Payne Haas and Adam Reynolds for last week's grand final rematch with Penrith, the Broncos lost Reece Walsh inside the first five minutes, leaving them without their three most influential players.

"In any industry when you have your top performers sitting out it's really hard. In this environment a lot of us do adjust really well, there were just a few times against Penrith when we panicked," veteran prop Martin Taupau said.

"I don't want to say we're at a crossroads, but these are the times that separate the men from the boys."

The club is hopeful Reynolds will be fit for Friday's clash with the Cowboys but Haas could miss up to six weeks with a knee injury and Walsh is expected to be out for at least three with a facial fracture.

Fortunately for the Broncos, they have a track record of holding the gloves up when without their biggest names.

One of their finest performances last season was a 26-22 away victory over the Warriors during an Origin-affected round when they were missing all their representative stars, and they managed four wins from five starts without Walsh across the year.

Taupau said the club can recreate that same attitude over the next few weeks, which includes the clash with the Cowboys, a trip to Melbourne and the first Brisbane derby of the year.

"We know we've got the talent, we know we have the strength in our squad, it's about getting our heads together and finding how we did it last year," Taupau said.

"We're not starting from scratch, we have that experience to tap into that and what we did in that time last year was phenomenal and we have to use that, use that drive."

The impressive Tristan Sailor will cover for Walsh at the back, while replacing Haas in the forward pack will be more of a group effort between Taupau, Kobe Hetherington, Fletcher Baker and rising star Xavier Willison.

Willison, a 21-year old giant of a prop, impressed in a badly beaten side against Penrith and looks to be on the verge of a breakout season.

Taupau has worked closely with him since joining the club last year, helping teach the club's young forwards what life in the front row in the NRL is all about.

"I try to help them reframe their mindset. Sometimes they might think they're not good enough and that's just not part of my language and it can't be theirs either," Taupau said.

"It's all about reframing what you are and who you are — we're professionals and you wouldn't be here if you weren't special.

"That's what I do with Xavier, sometimes there's harsh feedback but as I always say to him, you can either take it personally or professionally.

"If you take it personally you're not built for this environment and he's done really well to take it professionally and build on his game, whether that's physically or mentally or with his communication."

ABC

What Marty lacks on the field he makes up for with experience. Kevy has always wanted an older head Forward around the young guns coming through. Ryan James played that role recently and now its Martys turn. Even if he doesnt play NRL week in week out hes probably pretty important for the team.

Active Now

• Bronx48
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • broncos4life
  • The Don
  • Scorchie
  • broncsgoat
  • Battler
  • I bleed Maroon
  • MrMoore
  • Wolfie
  • Lurker
  • Midean
  • winslow_wong
  • Fozz
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Skathen
  • jd87
  • westy316
  • Harry Sack
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.