NEWS “The biggest thing the game has ever had”: Voss declares Walsh the most popular player ever

BHQArticleImageLarge30.jpg

NRL commentator Andrew Voss has declared superstar fullback Reece Walsh “the biggest thing the game has ever had” on the back of his swift rise to enormous popularity.

Walsh, 21, only debuted in 2021, but has skyrocketed to rugby league fame thanks to his electric speed, flashy tries, and exciting play style.

Walsh has the most followers of any NRL player with 455,000; more than most NRL clubs.

His cultural impact on young fans has led Voss to put Walsh on top of the NRL popularity pedestal.

“Reece Walsh is the most popular player in the game that I think I’ve ever come across,” Voss said on Breakfast with Vossy & Brandy.

“I reckon Reece Walsh added 5000 to the crowd the other night… for little kids in the South-West of Sydney to be making Reece Walsh signs, and there were plenty of them, I haven’t experienced that before.

“He’s got the lot Reece Walsh… one’s the looks, one’s the way he plays the game, one’s the way he scored a try, salutes (and the) flamboyant jumps.”

Walsh has scored eight tries in his six appearances this year, sitting tied first atop the NRL try scorer leaderboard.

Voss said the impact Walsh has had on kids is like nothing he’s ever seen.

“I have never seen so many young girls at football matches,” Voss commented.

“My own son Harry wandered along. Who’d he want a photo with? Reece Walsh. He doesn’t follow the Broncos… but now (he has) taken an interest in the game because of Reece Walsh.

“Reece Walsh is the biggest thing in the game that I have ever witnessed.”

The Brisbane Broncos this week take on the Sydney Roosters where Walsh is sure to get another raucous reception as they return home to play at Suncorp Stadium.

SEN

My sons watch just about everything that they can about him, which in turn the social algorithms recommend to me as a result - the kid has an international audience more like a top soccer player or movie star its insane.

The amount of pink boots at the junior games at the moment is crazy, the amount of similar hair styles even. At my eldest sons first footy training session this year a bunch on new players and new coach, his first question was who wants to be a forward - next to no one put their hand up. Who wanted to be a back, everyone's hand went up... We're going to have A LOT of full backs in the coming years.

If Reece starts bringing in those huge social media influencer dollars does that have any effect on the Salary cap? Because without the Broncos... He isn't the poster boy of the NRL.

If Reece starts bringing in those huge social media influencer dollars does that have any effect on the Salary cap? Because without the Broncos... He isn't the poster boy of the NRL.
Nah that would be third party agreements... Broncos give him the platform, but he would be the one sourcing it through social media.

I would think it should be one of the main things players look to setup... if nobody influencers are making cash from it then elite athletes should surely be rolling in it

I had to listen to the Tigers game and I tuned into MMM - almost every single time Reece touched the ball they called him 'Pretty Boy Walsh'. I guess they were trying to be funny but boy it got tiring very quickly.
MMM are a terrible commentary team. They get over excited and go on long winded rants so you have no idea what is going on in the game.

I can only listen to the ABC radio team, they are bit more like the old school radio broadcast where they give commentary on the play I.e. position on the field, direction of play etc.

Honestly Walshy is amazing. I mean he views the stories he is tagged in and if he is picked for origin there is a chance that he might be here in Toowoomba for a Meet and Greet with the game two maroon players. And i think he is the reason why we are so popular
1000019346.jpg

Can someone tag and alert him to the new Broncos Blitz song .. heavily featuring him? 😅

/jokes.

I don't want him to think I'm a complete idiot 😅

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.