Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
I personally think we all have set our standards far too high the very season after losing Darren Lockyer. I think our amazing start to the season didn't help our realistic expectations either. I was very disappointed when Hook went for Norman at 5/8th and didn't make the decision until during/after the trials. A decision has to be made now as to who will be the 5/8th next year (I personally hope it is Hunt). We had no luck with injuries post origin and there was definitely a big let down for the teams who had a large QLD contingent involved in Origin. It is obviously the hardest they've had to work in years to win an Origin. Melbourne are only just recovering now, and the Broncos didn't have the luxury of a fully fit side to ease them back in.

I liked the lineup that took the field against Bulldogs and Melbourne. Norman actually offers something at fullback and the team go much better with Hunt's vision in the halves. It something that I think could become very good attacking 1,6,7 & 9. That allows us some flexibility by getting rid of the ridiculous hooker/utility on the bench. I reckon Reed could move to the bench as an extra 2nd rower who can cover the backs in case of injury. This allows us Hoffman/Kahu (or Copely) on one side and Hodges/Yow Yeh on the other. I don't really know too much about the mechanics of the team, so I could be way off track, but I really think Norman, Hunt, Wallace and Macca on the field at the same time enhances our attacking capabilities and makes us less predictable.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
There are several things I'd like to see happening at the Broncos in 2013, starting with a serious evaluation of the coaching performance, so that the necessary help is brought in to help Hook.

I trust Griffin is the right choice for head coach, as he clearly has the backing of the players and knows how to make them play for him, each other and in benefit of the team.
He appears however to be lacking in the creativity necessary to give the team an arsenal of set plays and attacking options, and his use of the bench is suspect at the very least, especially when it comes to his ability to read a game and make the changes according to how it develop.
No problem though, as long as he has the humility to recognize his flaws and follows the cue of the most successful people, who surround themselves with the best people to achieve a goal.
He needs a tactical coach, who can help him create a better plan for the attacking part of our game, and who can make the best tactical adjustments on the fly.

Second, I really like the current retention policy, which will hopefully help us keep our best players. But we also have to be able to recognize if and when we have a major problem in our roster, and put ourselves on the market when there is a need for it, or if there is a player worth enticing.
Of course, we need to protect ourselves from people and club directions to whom the word ethic is foreign, to prevent being caught with the pants in our hands by kents like rusty and his souffs mates.

Pigskin

Pigskin

NYC Player
Mar 5, 2008
I think there have been a ton of interesting suggestions in the last couple of pages of this thread ... each with pros and cons

Whilst I couldn't see us going after him, the Campese suggestion is way out there, but certainly not a stupid idea - desperate times call for desperate measures - I would rather sign Campese than sign nobody - we have to have cap space, spend it on a 1 year, biggish money deal ... when fit the guy is in the top couple of 6's in the league

Cooper - at least our club would appear strong enough to handle the possible BS that would come with him ... a non-defending fullback with exactly what we need in attack - if he takes a kick or bomb, better have somebody to pass to fast, or he could be permanantly concussed ... again, I would rather sign him than nobody

Johnson - surely unavailable, but would be a great foil for Wallace in attack - similar to Cooper but at least can tackle somewhat

Sezar - perhaps a little too solid and predictable for our needs ? The Coast would be nuts to let him go, they need to get somebody settled before Prince breaks his arm again and is gone for good ... any signing is better than no signing

Any of the above options in, and Hunt to another club ... I have posted my thoughts on Hunt ... so enough said

"Pavlovian stimulus-response" ... nice work :)

If anybody from our side with a toothache is called into crap rep games that nobody cares about over summer ... well ... I don't know what I'll do, but it will be angry

Mr Wright is just that. Last Christmas there was a fair bit of doom and gloom about the season ahead after Locky's departure. They managed to change our minds in about 10 weeks of great footy leaving us perhaps expecting too much in the short term.

It is my understanding that McCullough is still learning to be a hooker after most of his junior days being a half. I'd like to see his offseason spent on his service from dummy half - crisper, faster, cut down errors and lessen delay, while at the same time getting coached on how to get his forwards rolling and on being more selective going himself. His service frustrates me no end.

From the coach, along with the attacking plays being practiced ad-nauseum as suggested, I'd like to see attention to detail being addressed. All the little things, not related to effort, but more related to knowledge and execution being put right. I can't write a list off the top of my head, but so many times this season I have felt frustrated - how come I know what is needed there, and they don't ! Not sure you'll get my drift ... but meh.

I don't agree with the promote all from within policy. Prefer to keep all things fresh and believe a starting 13 player needs to be bought in from outside every 2nd year at least. No dickheads policy. Enthusiastic talkers preferred. There were days not so long ago when some players came to our club (Teo, Clinton come to mind) and were genuinely honoured to be approached by the mighty Broncos. Find them, foster their healthy attitude and let it spread.

Oink !

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Mr. Pigskin, what baffled me most was the bloody inconsistency - why such great plays and tries, but sporadically, randomly, and certainly it all basically fell away as the season got hotter.

I think it's the Lockyer Effect. We don't need just a 5/8, we need a real organizer out there directing traffic. We are like Gillett, and a few others: un-guided missiles, wasting their talent.

2013 will be most interesting indeed

If we go so well at training, then why not on the field? The talent we have is excellent.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Whilst I couldn't see us going after him, the Campese suggestion is way out there, but certainly not a stupid idea - desperate times call for desperate measures - I would rather sign Campese than sign nobody - we have to have cap space, spend it on a 1 year, biggish money deal ... when fit the guy is in the top couple of 6's in the league

!

The way I see it the Raiders are well served with McCrone, have Anthony Milford coming through and are stuck paying Campese a motza for the next 2 years for a contract he signed before his first knee recon.

If a club approached the Raiders to release him at say 200k a year then the Raiders pay out the balance he could end up being a reasonable gamble for a couple of years. Of course you make the contract subject to the second coming so we don't get stuck if he does his knee again.

A fit Campese is one of the better 6s going around, we could do worse than take a punt on him IMHO.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Wouldn't be the worst idea.

I just don't like Campese & don't think he's the type of player who fits our culture.

I'd rather bring somebody like Wighton, Williams, Cornish or Milford over than Campo.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Our culture? What exactly has Campese done wrong?

Or by culture do you mean rewarding underperforming speds with spots in our spine ala Hoffman, Norman and Wallace?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Didn't say he's done anything wrong, I just don't like the way he conducts himself on the field. He's a very dirty player (particularly for a half) and he whinges just as much as Gallen, traits that are unbecoming of a Bronco.

I know that others won't care but for this Broncos fan I don't like what Campese brings to the table.

Don't know why you bothered with a stab at those players either but whatever floats your boat.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
That is a good point, Campese whines so hard. Been sent off a few times.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
So you would rather not take a stab (this is all hypothetical of course) at a guy who was one of the top 2 or 3 6's in the comp on decent low money when we have been appallingly bad in attack due to the lack of quality in our spine and he wouldn't be anywhere near the captaincy so he wouldn't whinge much and I can't say I saw him do too much dirty stuff. Maybe a little bit of niggle but if that's the case you must want to run Justin Hodges out of Brisbane then.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I don't agree with him ever being a 'top 2 or 3' five eigth of the competition during any one of his seasons period. Whatever time frame that was it would have been two knee recos ago.

Hodges being a grub is bit of a myth really. Yes, he has the odd brain explosion but really he doesn't go over the top when he's in the ruck like Campese. At worse he's a sledger and there's no harm in that if you can back it up, which Hodges does. His biggest crime is having a lightening fast play the ball that draws us a ton of penalties. As a fan, I have absolutely no problem with this.

Last edited:
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Is anyone a keen Super League watcher? Would like to know if ex-Raiders half Michael Dobson is a player we could use. Currently playing half for Hull KR, only 26, has the most Try Assists and Attacking Kicks in the League this season, and is keen to come back to the NRL. From what I remember, he was average at the Raiders but could be handy?

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
It's the equivalent of Wallace going there and becoming the game's greatest player of all time.

24251502.jpg

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
It's the equivalent of Wallace going there and becoming the game's greatest player of all time.

This. And I genuinely struggle to see how people think young halves from the Raiders U20s offer more than Norman or Hunt or how other workmanlike halves offer more than Wallace.

Perhaps the answer is much simpler. State of Origin scheduling and the Broncos contribution to it.

Players like Gillett, Te'o (in their first Origin series) and Parker to some degree were mentally and probably physically drained. Thaiday played injured all season. Civo: 36 - I'm 29 and struggle to play 1 game of touch footy a week. Hodges needs to quit rep footy.

Reed - second year syndrome, Norman, tough first year but will learn it's a long season and an A- first 10 weeks and a D+ last 10 weeks do not amount to a passing grade.

I think we will be much better next year for this experience. Hoffman needs to hit the gym and get some more mongrel and confidence into him. He's -30% at least on his tackle break ability and line breaks.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
This. And I genuinely struggle to see how people think young halves from the Raiders U20s offer more than Norman or Hunt or how other workmanlike halves offer more than Wallace.

Perhaps the answer is much simpler. State of Origin scheduling and the Broncos contribution to it.

Players like Gillett, Te'o (in their first Origin series) and Parker to some degree were mentally and probably physically drained. Thaiday played injured all season. Civo: 36 - I'm 29 and struggle to play 1 game of touch footy a week. Hodges needs to quit rep footy.

Reed - second year syndrome, Norman, tough first year but will learn it's a long season and an A- first 10 weeks and a D+ last 10 weeks do not amount to a passing grade.

I think we will be much better next year for this experience. Hoffman needs to hit the gym and get some more mongrel and confidence into him. He's -30% at least on his tackle break ability and line breaks.

I agree with most of what you say. However, as someone posted elsewhere, that what we need is to fill the gaping hole left by Locky's retirement, and his suggestion, I think was a combination of players in a leadership role.

For mine, that leadership role is the most important element that the team needs and so far, lacks, before we become anything remotely like top 4 contenders.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
And it's a kind of leadership the Broncos don't have. It's a leadership of tactics and plans. Not just leadership of example (which Parker and to a lesser extent Thaiday this year provided). For one thing I think Hodges needs to be in the ear of the halves saying "look, there's space out here, I'm going to get deeper and you get me early ball".

Active Now

• Morkel
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Justwin
  • Behind enemy lines
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • Midean
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.