2015 Halves

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Discuss halves combinations for 2015 season.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Well, hopefully we sign someone in the offseason, or someone like Taylor becomes ready. Barba isn't a half, and Milford is just a younger, more athletically gifted version of Barba.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Hunt and Taylor is my ideal combo. Taylor still has to prove himself but as halves so do Barba and Milford.

Overall though I feel Ash best compliments Hunt and he has the better kicking game. What Milford can do well he can still do from fullback and I think we are stronger for him being our third playmaker and not our second. Also, he is a shit kicker.

Not sure where that leaves Barba. Still lots of time to turn it around though.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
You like starting halves threads don't you :tongue: I'll add the whole spin into my opinion:

1. Milford - clearly his best position, lets leave him there do do what he does best.

6. Barba - has been pretty good since moving there ... if we had have moved him there earlier, it would have been far better. a full pre-season training in the 5/8 position, will do him wonders IMO

7. Hunt - had a breakout year this season, but has some work to do during the pre season ... namely working on his kicking game (probably the weakest part of his game) and closing out close games. which a better kicking game will help him do.

9. McCullough - not only our best option to start the season at hooker, but our ONLY option

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I agree with Foordy. That is a deadly spine leading us around next year. Taylor will get his chance but Barba has been good at six in the last month.

However, in the offseason I would be making sure these players work on these things:

Milford - Spend time with Parker and get to know his every mannerism to learn when an offload is coming.
Barba - Slim down, practice on the sand dunes of Straddy and rebuild endurance and confidence in the ankle.
Hunt - Kick a ball at every chance, send some time with the Lions kicking coach and have a football in hands at all times.
Macca - Endless squats, use a swivel machine and put a dot on a wall with a speed gun and keep passing at the spot until getting 99 out of 100 on that spot at twice the speed he currently does.
Kennedy, Vidot, Hannant if here and Gillett have a ball in hand at all times and run a half marathon every time they drop it.

If we do this, we will be unmatchable in attack.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
With Taylor I would like him to get a full season in the ISC before shifting to the NRL team, where i fully expect him to oust someone in the spine.

my plan for Taylor would be to find an ISC team for him to lead around in 2015. but have him play the occasional game from the bench, to ease him into then NRL ... then in 2016 he should be ready to go.

so my 2016 spine would be:

1. Milford
6. Hunt
7. Taylor
9. Macca (unless we can find someone better)
14. Barba the super sub (but not reserve hooker)

Behold

Behold

BRL Player
Jun 13, 2012
7. Hunt
6. Hodges.

If I was going to bring one of the u20s through it would Duncan P. he is an organiser plays a simple game and looks to work for those around him. Taylor looks like a u20s half - looks good against loose defence, first option is always himself just like K. Nikorimi. Taylor needs some time in the ISC because he is clearly the most talented of the young guys, he is just not a great partner for Hunt at present.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
7. Hunt
6. Hodges.

If I was going to bring one of the u20s through it would Duncan P. he is an organiser plays a simple game and looks to work for those around him. Taylor looks like a u20s half - looks good against loose defence, first option is always himself just like K. Nikorimi. Taylor needs some time in the ISC because he is clearly the most talented of the young guys, he is just not a great partner for Hunt at present.

Duncan P is going to the Reds next year.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
There's not really any doubt in my mind that it'll be Barba & Hunt with Milford at Fullback, unless Boyd comes, in that case it'll be Milford at Five-Eighth and Boyd at Fullback, Barba on the bench.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
1 average game after 2 great ones and all of a sudden Barba is out of favor.

I don't get it.

Plus the fact that as a whole the team don't play as coherently and freely against quality teams like they do against crap ones.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
we have to remember that it was very late in the season before Barba even moved into the 5/8 role... if he had started the season there (or better yet trained the pre-season there, because IMO, Kahu was the wrong choice too) the he would be soooooo much further in his transition to the halves.

just another wrong decision from hook

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Plus the fact that as a whole the team don't play as coherently and freely against quality teams like they do against crap ones.

That's the problem, isn't it? Barba scoring tries against the shitty teams and being useless against good ones. No playmaking or organising in either case.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
That's the problem, isn't it? Barba scoring tries against the shitty teams and being useless against good ones. No playmaking or organising in either case.

FFS, we have given Barba less than 2 months to grow into the role. it even took Lockyer over a year to be fully comfortable with the transition from fullback to 5/8 and he is a true lengend of the game.

It will take time ... people need patience. but that comodity seems lacking around here, if they don't carve up immediately people have a go at them

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I think with the glimpses of improvement Barba showed in the month or so at Five-Eighth that he bought himself the pre-season and at least the first half of next season in the position.. if he's still invisible during games at that stage, we may need to consider other options.

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • MrMoore
  • Midean
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • ezpz
  • Waynesaurus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Battler
  • Richby
  • bert_lifts
  • Browny
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Dash
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • bb_gun
  • RodF
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.