2015 Halves

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I watched Barba closely last few games, and especially last week. For mine, he looks like he is still carrying some sort of after effects on an injury to his foot/ankle/leg as well as a few kilos.

He just doesn't look like he is fully stretching out and hitting his top speed. His chase on Fonua showed me something wan't right, and it wasn't kilos.

If he reaches peak fitness, I think he is an ideal 5/8, especially as he has only played less than half a season in that position in this team.
My suspicion is that it's a chronic injury and it'll never fully be 100% again.

I know I am no elite athlete, but I've broken my ankle and torn my ligaments many times, and although I have rehab'ed properly, always stretch, constantly do balance exercises, it only takes one small overbalance to flare them up again. I suspect it will be the same for him, and it plays on your mind because are reluctant to go out of your comfort zone so as to not re-injure it.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
My suspicion is that it's a chronic injury and it'll never fully be 100% again.

I know I am no elite athlete, but I've broken my ankle and torn my ligaments many times, and although I have rehab'ed properly, always stretch, constantly do balance exercises, it only takes one small overbalance to flare them up again. I suspect it will be the same for him, and it plays on your mind because are reluctant to go out of your comfort zone so as to not re-injure it.

Well, after a broken wrist and torn muscles and ligaments in both my shoulders, I know what you mean.

Having said that, I watched that Fonua intercept try again. It was very interesting. Barba and Maranta reacted almost instantly, Oates a little late, Barba looked like he out accelerated Maranta and then kept up with him but then Fonua outpaced them all which means he must be pretty quick to outrun Maranta who isn't exactly slow, and shows how quick Barba is as well.

But the more interesting thing was after the try, Barba looked like a veritable beer keg on legs, so I take back my initial observation about the kilos. I think he is over weight and I think that is what is slowing him down as others have observed.

In any case, I hope he slims down for next year and there are no after-effects of that ankle injury.

For mine, a slimmed down Barba would be very very quick, especially off the mark where it counts at 5/8

As for Oates, he has lost a lot of pace as he has grown dammit.

Last edited:
R

RedHillGuy

BRL Player
Mar 14, 2008
On the replay though (and the angle may be a little deceiving) it almost appears that Maranta would have been a better chance if Barba had given up the chase as Barba had the better running line and it almost looks like he is in the way of Maranta making one last burst to catch him.

Do have to remember though that was a chase in the 75th minute of what was a very fast paced game...

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
I'm torn on who I'd prefer as our fullback and as our five-eighth next year. A slimmed down, full of confidence Ben Barba could be exactly what we need from fullback. Looking back at his 2012 form (and 2011) he could be our long term option at fullback.

However Milford at fullback is also very appealing. I feel however when Milford plays in the halves we don't see his running games as much, instead he becomes primarily a ball player. Although he can handle ball playing, I feel his strength is his running game which fullback allows him to do.

Barba though has a rare ability to score length of the field tries from fullback, something not many other players can do as regularly as he can. I haven't seen Milford score a length of the field try from fullback like Barba did in 2012 and 2011, but instead I have seen him score plenty from within the oppositions 40m line due to his explosive speed and acceleration. This probably suggests he could be a running five-eighth with enough ball playing skills to recognise when to run and when to pass.

I'm not sure what the best option is, since Ben Barba is a Dally M winning fullback who I believe will regain the form that won him the medal. He has the talent and ability to be our match winning fullback, however he is lacking confidence, something I'm sure Bennett will address.

Last edited:
S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
All I can say is I can't wait for Round 1, 2015.

I think whoever of Milford/Barba that you play at 6, will create space for the 1.

I think I'd prefer the younger, faster Milford at 1 being fed ball from Barba, who is a pretty keen ball player.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
All I can say is I can't wait for Round 1, 2015.

I think whoever of Milford/Barba that you play at 6, will create space for the 1.

I think I'd prefer the younger, faster Milford at 1 being fed ball from Barba, who is a pretty keen ball player.

I agree somewhat, but then again I feel we might not be getting enough from Barba's incredible running game by turning him into a ballplayer. Both players are ball runners first, ball players second. Barba on his day has one of the best running games in the NRL. I'd probably even say better than Milfords.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Not sure if it was Hooks game plan or what but Ben Hunt just looked impotent tonight. If he can improve over the pre season and into next year, he may not be our long term half back. Although I think Wayne Bennett will build a game plan and structure around our key players, that will suit Ben Hunt and other more.

Unread

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • bert_lifts
  • Browny
  • LGH
  • Dash
  • Wolfie
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • ezpz
  • Jazza
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • phoenix
  • Aldo
  • Manofoneway
  • lynx000
  • Galah
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Bucking Beads
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.