2015 Halves

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Paul Byrnes or Elijah Alick.

Could shift Jayden to FB and move Brimson to five eighth too.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
I am like a few of the others on here in that I am concerned with a pairing of Barba and Hunt. I watched Milford at 5/8 tonight and liked what I saw from him. His kicking game was good and he was always dangerous, as well as doing a pretty good job in defence.
I like Hunt and Milford in the halves for next year with Barba/Boyd at fullback.
If Taylor is to make the NRL squad in 2017 then it will be at the expense of Hunt if he does not find a way to close out games

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Fingers crossed that Taylor can finish the season without suffering a major injury and can enter the pre-season fresh.

It's worth remembering that his debut season ended quite early and he spent a fair portion of 2014 on the sidelines. If he can get a full pre-season under his belts, he could well and truly be in the reckoning for a first grade spot.

I suspect he'll most likely spend 2015 in reserves but wouldn't be surprised to see him handed his debut at some point that year either.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I have always been an advocate for Milford in the halves and Barba to fullback. I just don't think Barba is a five-eight, but I do think once he slims down he can be devastating at fullback again. I also think Milford has all the necessary qualities to be an extremely successful five-eight.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Barbas main issue wasn't his size or speed at the back. He couldn't catch, remember?

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
I think Hunt/Milford/Taylor have to fit into two halves spot with Milford most likely the definite. This is what I would do, let Macca go and have Hunt as full time hooker.

1 Boyd
6 Milford
7 Taylor
9 Hunt

obviously this would be a little down the line perhaps 2016

Last edited:
Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Barbas main issue wasn't his size or speed at the back. He couldn't catch, remember?

He can catch when he is confident and without his speed he lost confidence in his ability.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I'm pretty sure Ash will be playing NYC next season, considering Kodi won't be eligible any more and Duncan is apparently heading to Union, we'll be light on in the 20's.

6. J.Nikorima
7. Taylor

Not even sure who'll be playing Fullback in that scenario.

It would be a massive mistake to leave Taylor in the 20s next year, whether we are light there or not. I think it could even potentially set his career back.

Our objectives of the lower grades should always be to get players ready for the NRL, even if that means sacrificing some success in those grades... and getting Taylor ready for the top grade, means getting him up against some better defence from seasoned footballers.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Halves can have their individual brilliance - a real asset, but what makes a great half is also a team which is always reading the play because there are structures in place for the halves to move in around and through - and on a few occasions, we have done that

When the halves get the ball, there shouldbe a heap of bodies in motion, all knowing what to expect and what is expected of them.

For mine, last night, Hunt was sod ordinary on the whole but it was more because we were a dog's breakfast out there, one out running whereas the Storm, everyone was moving as soon as Cronk or Smith got the ball.

That is the crux of momentum, organization and direction.

Last edited:
C

Cronos

Banned User
Jul 22, 2014
So apparantly you are in denial ...

Macca will be the starting hooker as we have no better options ... and if Bennett is bringing Waddell to the club to be starting hooker, he should be fired right now.

Hoffman i agree with, he will leave to play fullback

Vidot will likely get a wing position, Bennett loves big strong wingers in his team (remember like Sailor and Tuquiri and neither of them were great under the high ball)

Hannant has reportedly been told by Bennett that Bennett wants him in the team next year, likely going to come down to cap space.

Kennedy has also been told they will be keeping him, and you don't keep a 400k player on the books unless you intend playing him in the top grade.

Barba - Honestly probably comes down to whether Boyd comes or not. unfortunately Bennett will want to give Boyd a spine position, so that leaves Barba the odd man out if Boyd follows daddy

It's laughable that you speak of denial when you still haven't accepted that Hook, a coach who has a 41% winnin pctg. over the last two and a half years is being replaced by the greatest coach the game has ever seen. In reality, neither of us can forsee the future, I could be spot on with my predictions for next year or maybe you are indeed correct in your percievals but don't go betting your house in Paddo on it. :)

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
It's laughable that you speak of denial when you still haven't accepted that Hook, a coach who has a 41% winnin pctg. over the last two and a half years is being replaced by the greatest coach the game has ever seen. In reality, neither of us can forsee the future, I could be spot on with my predictions for next year or maybe you are indeed correct in your percievals but don't go betting your house in Paddo on it. :)

His reputation is great. It's history. I'm interested in now. I'm hoping he doesn't bring his Knights strategies and players with him

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

I wish i could afford a house in Paddo :takdir:

and you know what ...

I hope Bennett proves me wrong and that his Knights stint was just a small glitch in what has been a glittering coaching career for him...

I hope he still has the ability to bring the best out of the players we have on the roster next season, and is able to restore us to being a consistent premiership force...

I hope that he doesn't continue his recruiting ways from his Knights stint, and has plans to set up our rosters for the future after he is gone...

and finally i hope that once he does indeed retire (likely in about 3 years) he doesn't leave us with another dud coach like last time.

and if all of that happens, i will eat the biggest slice of humble pie you have ever seen ... and i will do it with a BIG FUCKING SMILE on my face.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
I wish i could afford a house in Paddo :takdir:

and you know what ...

I hope Bennett proves me wrong and that his Knights stint was just a small glitch in what has been a glittering coaching career for him...

I hope he still has the ability to bring the best out of the players we have on the roster next season, and is able to restore us to being a consistent premiership force...

I hope that he doesn't continue his recruiting ways from his Knights stint, and has plans to set up our rosters for the future after he is gone...

and finally i hope that once he does indeed retire (likely in about 3 years) he doesn't leave us with another dud coach like last time.

and if all of that happens, i will eat the biggest slice of humble pie you have ever seen ... and i will do it with a BIG ****ING SMILE on my face.

I'm hoping this too ..... i personally feel that Bennett has unfinished business here.

Leaving like he did just didn't feel right .... there were so many things left unfinished.

Hopefully as you say, he (and the club) have a succession plan in place that will see us rise again to be one of the more successful sides year in year out.

This hanging by a thread to see if we make the 8 bullshit is getting a bit stale !!

ozzball

ozzball

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2013
My 2 cents worth ... leave Ben² in the halves and MILF at fullback .. then let the spine settle with Macca at 9

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
My 2 cents worth ... leave Ben² in the halves and MILF at fullback .. then let the spine settle with Macca at 9

This has to be how we start the season at the very least.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I think the spine for 2015 should be:

1. Barba (slimed down)

6. Milford

7. Hunt

9. Macca

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
I think the spine for 2015 should be:

1. Barba (slimed down)

6. Milford

7. Hunt

9. Macca

Barba sure would be a slippery customer if we gave him the slimer treatment. The stench alone might keep other players away from him.

Yes, I know what you meant :P

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
The thought of having a 2012 weight Barba & a 20 year old Milford is completely jizz worthy, I really hope Bennett makes Barba lose a few kegs, even if he does plan on staying at Five-Eighth, his speed has to be the primary concern, not adding slightly more bulk to make him less of a speed bump.

Unread

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • ezpz
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • Browny
  • MrMoore
  • broncsgoat
  • bert_lifts
  • Culhwch
  • Porthoz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • Jazza
  • Battler
  • LGH
  • Dash
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.