2016 depth

E

ettybay

NYC Player
May 9, 2014
Looking forward to another premiership this season. Our weakness, as I see it is a lack of depth. If we have a top 17 along the lines of;
1.Boyd
2.Oates
3.Reed
4.Roberts
5.Kahu
6. Milf
7. Hunt
8.Moose
9.Macca
10.Blair
11.Gillet
12.Glenn
13.Parker
14.Joe O
15.Sammy
16.Wallace
17.Nik

we have little NRL experience in reserve.Waddell has 73 games, Maranta 62, Molo 6 & Essese & Boyce 1 each.(If my research is right). Not much there, particularly in key positions. A couple of injuries plus a probable high representation during origin are a concern. Of course is we stay fit this ceases to be an issue. In my experience, if we have a below average injury toll, particularly to 1,6,7 & 9 we play on GF day.

We used 7 outside backs last year. We have Vidot, Copley and Hodges leaving the club for Roberts and Anderson! Hopefully we have a good run with injuries or we might see Opacic or Whitchurch get a run (pecking order will probably change after trials). Most of our backs are good with injuries so I'm not overly worried, just an area that has been weakened a bit.

We'll be fine. 6&7 are our concerns. . If we lose hunt we are legit screwed

That's the reality all the teams face. Each team has a player that if lost is irreplaceable, you just have to hope you don't.

Is there a long and very precise German word for "the double edged sword of having a great halfback because their very skill and dominance make it difficult to retain any talented reserve as they will leave to obtain a position in another team?"

Maybe something like "diezweischneidigesSchwertdermiteinemgroßenHalbspielerweilihrsehrGeschickundDominanzmachenesschwierigeinetalentierteReserveeinbehaltenwiesiezuverlassenumeinePositionineinemanderenTeamzubekommen"?

If most clubs were to lose their 6 or 7 they would struggle. Since last season we have lost Hodges, Dodds, Lowrie, Stagg & probably Copley whom all have plenty of NRL experience. We have signed Roberts, the only new player with much NRL experience. During origin we will probably lose 6-7 players with only Maranta with much experience as a replacement. If we suffer a few injuries we have to play untried players. Traditionally Wayne likes to ease new players into the top grade, but if we cop a few injuries we will have throw a couple of greenhorns in the deep end

Origin period will tell some tales about our depth, but spine (bar FB) will be basically intact. Within the 17, we have a lot of players who can play in multiple positions around the halves, so I don't think our depth is too bad to be honest. It's the key guys wearing 6 and 7 who we can't cover for. Every team is the same, but it would be a cruel blow to such a great roster otherwise. Slightly in our favour is the fact that Hunt and Milford are both still young and hopefully less fragile. Hopefully.

Looking forward to another premiership this season. Our weakness, as I see it is a lack of depth. If we have a top 17 along the lines of;
1.Boyd
2.Oates
3.Reed
4.Roberts
5.Kahu
6. Milf
7. Hunt
8.Moose
9.Macca
10.Blair
11.Gillet
12.Glenn
13.Parker
14.Joe O
15.Sammy
16.Wallace
17.Nik

we have little NRL experience in reserve.Waddell has 73 games, Maranta 62, Molo 6 & Essese & Boyce 1 each.(If my research is right). Not much there, particularly in key positions. A couple of injuries plus a probable high representation during origin are a concern. Of course is we stay fit this ceases to be an issue. In my experience, if we have a below average injury toll, particularly to 1,6,7 & 9 we play on GF day.

Our most experienced depth player appeared out of his depth. Maranta is injured. Unfortunately my mind hasn't been changed on this one.

Sadly we do seem to be lacking in depth at the moment, but I guess that is the price you pay when you have a starting 17 like ours. I would seriously consider letting Molo, Boyce and Waddell go if it meant getting a hold of a reserve hooker who is actually decent. Whitchurch as well, I'm sure one of the no hoper clubs would take him off our hands

I wonder what it would take to lure Parcell back here

Every time Milford gets hammered I shudder

Future is looking incredibly bright.

Su'a & Pangai were 2 of the best for Australia yesterday and Arrow was incredible today for Queensland residents. All 3 of them will be playing NRL within 2 years, whether it's with us or someone else, too good for U20's / ISC.

Future is looking incredibly bright.

Su'a & Pangai were 2 of the best for Australia yesterday and Arrow was incredible today for Queensland residents. All 3 of them will be playing NRL within 2 years, whether it's with us or someone else, too good for U20's / ISC.

And let's not forget Offa. He's my choice to replace Parker when the great man calls it a day. He actually showed some ball skills last night as well.

If Blair is suspended, I'd like to see him start with Moose. What better way of toughening him up.

(Yes, I know he is in the Broncos 1sts but I still count him as "depth")

Last edited:
And let's not forget Offa. He's my choice to replace Parker when the great man calls it a day. He actually showed some ball skills last night as well.

If Blair is suspended, I'd like to see him start with Moose. What better way of toughening him up.

After watching him and following him as much as I can after the last 24 months, I'd say Arrow has to be first in line to start at lock once Parker retires. Ofahengaue & McGuire as the starting props of the future.

After watching him and following him as much as I can after the last 24 months, I'd say Arrow has to be first in line to start at lock once Parker retires. Ofahengaue & McGuire as the starting props of the future.

Not having seen Arrow play, I can't comment. All I know is that Offa hits hard, runs hard, passes and offloads and is proven in NRL more or less. With Arrow, it's a few years of NRL yet before we can honestly say someone with no 1st grade experience can play such a pivotal role as Parker's at this point in time. For mine, at least Offa has, and is getting, runs on the board now and could be ready to step into Parker's huge boots well before Arrow is primed at the top level.

Having said that, he would of course make an ideal starting prop, but then that Assumes Blair also retires

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.