10. McGuire
11. TPJ
12. Gillett (c)
13. Offa

14. Carrigan
15. Fifita
16. Haas
17. McC/Turpin

Bennett doesn't seem like he is in a risk taking mood these days, so we all know the likes of McC and McGuire aren't going anywhere. As such, this is the side I'd like to see. I really wanna give Isaako a full pre-season at Fullback then see how he travels. Just sit him down and get him watching Karmichael Hunt videos all day and night. If it doesn't work out, just swap him and Boyd again.

I'd be giving Turpin first crack at hooker with McC on the bench to try and put a big rocket up him, but I can't see it doing any good. 237 games later and he's well and truly plateaued. As such if Turpin kicks on, McC gets dropped for Mago. I'm still a fan of an all forward bench, which means releasing Nikorima in the off season. We must get our defence in the middle under control which means the more size that's there to work with, the better.

Last edited:
Don’t understand why Boyd is fullback in most estimations. Guy has 1 play. Legs may never recover. Guy is selected as a defensive fullback meant to hold it all together but defensive stats were great in the year he barely played and got worse every year since 15. Can’t blame him for all that but this season he cost 2 tries a game on average directly or indirectly.

Last edited:
I'm ok with Radley getting the rookie of the year, the kids been outstanding. A great example of how effective a good ball playing lock can work. Takes nothing away from Isaako as I'm sure it would be very hard to pick a Winner out of Radley and Isaako. There is daylight between these 2 and any other rookie IMO.

It was on Twitter, Channel 7 and Courier Mail. Glenn and Kahu likely to leave. Glenn likely to remain in QLD with Kahu likely going back to NZ.

The titans would be harder to hate with Glenn in the side. I mean I still would, it would just be a bit more difficult

He was voted RLPA rookie of the year (which is the player's vote). Good chance he will pick up Dally M rookie of the year.

Victor Radley isn't eligible for the Dally M Rookie of the Year due to receiving two suspensions this year.

Victor Radley isn't eligible for the Dally M Rookie of the Year due to receiving two suspensions this year.

Which means Jamayne will most likely get it. I can just imagine the comments now "Only won it by default" etc etc

Last edited:
Its hard to put a finger on what this team is lacking but I think it can be summed up in one word.... commitment....

You look at the storm, souths and sharks and you see teams that put in every single week, work for each other in defence, take it personally against other players/teams and back up their talk. Im not just talking about the ELIMINATION final (which should have not needed any motivation to put in effort for). Its the difference between runners up and a premiership, its difference between 6th and 1st or 2nd, its the difference between the great teams and us....

Im a massive bennett fan, the grteatest coach in history and he has 10 X the record of bellamy with multiple different players that arent c smith (a.k.a the on field coach/ref/game maniplulator), but unfortunately I think the 2015 premiership slipping was the last chance he had with us for a premiership with us... the reason i say this is because it seems to me like the players have different priorities. I like that bennett makes players better people, i really do think its great for our club, but you can hear it in interviews and see it on the field. “Theres more to life then footy” is constantly said by our players, and it is 100% true but you think the storm players are constantly thinking like that? Federer druring a game? C ronaldo? These guys love their family but when they step onto the arena they have one thought in mind and that is crushing their opponent. Even the way they DIDNT punish and rush up on hunt showed they still want to be mates with him, whos laughing now? Would smith do that for an ex team mate?! Hunt was terrible at the start and hates a rushing defensive line, and we just sat back and said “hey buddy, regain your confidence using us. Thanks for the memories”

I get that bennett wants to turn these players into better men and that has always been his thing but the last few years it has appeared to me like he wants to be more of a social worker then a coach.i dont doubt he will win a premiership at another club and there arent any better options but i think we need to take a calculated gamble. 12 years is too long

Its hard to put a finger on what this team is lacking but I think it can be summed up in one word.... commitment....

You look at the storm, souths and sharks and you see teams that put in every single week, work for each other in defence, take it personally against other players/teams and back up their talk. Im not just talking about the ELIMINATION final (which should have not needed any motivation to put in effort for). Its the difference between runners up and a premiership, its difference between 6th and 1st or 2nd, its the difference between the great teams and us....

Im a massive bennett fan, the grteatest coach in history and he has 10 X the record of bellamy with multiple different players that arent c smith (a.k.a the on field coach/ref/game maniplulator), but unfortunately I think the 2015 premiership slipping was the last chance he had with us for a premiership with us... the reason i say this is because it seems to me like the players have different priorities. I like that bennett makes players better people, i really do think its great for our club, but you can hear it in interviews and see it on the field. “Theres more to life then footy” is constantly said by our players, and it is 100% true but you think the storm players are constantly thinking like that? Federer druring a game? C ronaldo? These guys love their family but when they step onto the arena they have one thought in mind and that is crushing their opponent. Even the way they DIDNT punish and rush up on hunt showed they still want to be mates with him, whos laughing now? Would smith do that for an ex team mate?! Hunt was terrible at the start and hates a rushing defensive line, and we just sat back and said “hey buddy, regain your confidence using us. Thanks for the memories”

I get that bennett wants to turn these players into better men and that has always been his thing but the last few years it has appeared to me like he wants to be more of a social worker then a coach.i dont doubt he will win a premiership at another club and there arent any better options but i think we need to take a calculated gamble. 12 years is too long
Great post and everything you've said is the truth.

...I get that bennett wants to turn these players into better men and that has always been his thing but the last few years it has appeared to me like he wants to be more of a social worker then a coach.i dont doubt he will win a premiership at another club and there arent any better options but i think we need to take a calculated gamble. 12 years is too long

Yep..our attitude and commitment has been on the decline since the GF loss in 2015, we saw signs of it over the past couple of years with some of the losses but it has really become evident this year with our massive swing in performances from game to game.

It all culminated in a pretty embarrassing effort on Sunday...........I think its a wake up call and maybe a sign that it's time for change and a coach that can possibly bring a different mentality to the club.

Last edited:
I’m actually warming to the idea of McGuire. His kind of no nonsense rockets would give the side the kick up the butt it needs in terms of attitude and then some.

No player needs to like the coach but they sure would fear him.

I’m actually warming to the idea of McGuire. His kind of no nonsense rockets would give the side the kick up the butt it needs in terms of attitude and then some.

I'm certainly open to the idea of a change and if that was Maguire then I'm prepared to give it a chance.

Things are just all too chummy between the players and Wayne now, complacency has set it and the players now seem to think they can make demands to club over the coach, change is required.

I think he'd be the most one-eyed coach we've ever had. I don't see it working.

I think he'd be the most one-eyed coach we've ever had. I don't see it working.

45c.gif

What impressed you from O'Sullivan? Apart from Residents his last games for Roos haven't been great at all. Good chase on Sunday for a try but he missed a lot of tackles. Dogs ran over him.

11 missed tackles in the last two games- finals. The Dogs game was better than the Wests one so maybe he would have improved if he was given a run.

I acknowledge it's hard to come into a side and play half but you can still make tackles. His goal kicking and kicking were pretty good I will give him that, the two pressure goals were great.

There is too much focus on defence when it comes to halves. Most halves aren't that good defensively, they are tackling blokes much bigger and stronger than them.

James Maloney is one of the worst defenders in the comp, but he has been in 3 GF's and won 2. He also improves every side he is in.

Forwards are taught from a young age to protect their halves. It's part of their job.

Agree with the Hunt. Surely Bennett has to know his buttons yet whenever we face him we let him have time, space and don’t smash him. Should have Hunt begging for mercy by 20 minutes. In elite sport there has to be a ruthlessness on the field as found in the greats. Off you can be nicest bloke in the world and shout them all night long but on the field you can’t worry about your mate in the opposition’s confidence, situation at home or whatever. You have to make the opposition not want to play you because you will methodically destroy and expose them not only for the win that day but the next few years.

I agree commitment and who that commitment is for is a huge issue. For me everyone in team should have a broncos legend outside the immediate coaching staff as mentor. Remind the players of there place in the history as well as bringing back some hard nose determination.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Volvo Driver
  • Old Mate
  • john1420
  • Financeguy
  • Kev_Guz
  • heartly87
  • Foordy
  • sooticus
  • mrslong
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.