10. Korbin Sims
11. Matt Gillett
12. Alex Glenn
13. Josh McGuire

14. Joe O
15. TPJ
16. Payne Haas
17. Sam Thaiday

I honestly don't think we're going with a utility this year. Our small pack is our biggest downside and we need to mitigate that any way we can, so 4 big men on the bench is the way to go. I also think Lodge is a very good chance to start.

With Opacic doing his hammy, that back line is looking concerning. We need Bird back and firing asap. We'll likely jag a close win against the Dragqueens but will seriously struggle against the Cowboys.

1. Darius Boyd
2. Jamayne Isaako
3. James Roberts
4. Jordan Kahu
5. Jonus Pearson
6. Anthony Milford
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Matt Lodge
9. Andrew McC
10. Korbin Sims
11. Matt Gillett
12. Alex Glenn
13. Josh McGuire

14. Joe O
15. TPJ
16. Payne Haas
17. Sam Thaiday

I honestly don't think we're going with a utility this year. Our small pack is our biggest downside and we need to mitigate that any way we can, so 4 big men on the bench is the way to go. I also think Lodge is a very good chance to start.

With Opacic doing his hammy, that back line is looking concerning. We need Bird back and firing asap. We'll likely jag a close win against the Dragqueens but will seriously struggle against the Cowboys.

No Oates on the bench [emoji848]

No Oates on the bench [emoji848]

I'm not confident he's gonna make the squad straight away at 2nd row. If I were in Bennett's head, I would be telling Thaiday he has Oates on his ass in a big way and give Corey time to warm up in ISC.

But for the sake of it, If Oates is there, Haas drops off.

I really think Thaiday could see time in isc if he doesn’t fire from the start and flops like previous years.

1. Darius Boyd
2. Jamayne Isaako
3. James Roberts
4. Jordan Kahu
5. Jonus Pearson
6. Anthony Milford
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Matt Lodge
9. Andrew McC
10. Korbin Sims
11. Matt Gillett
12. Alex Glenn
13. Josh McGuire

14. Joe O
15. TPJ
16. Payne Haas
17. Sam Thaiday

Lodge will start, Bennett has already confirmed that.

Guarantee Thaiday isn't dropped.

How can you say for certain that Thaiday won’t get dropped, if that’s what’s best for the team with him not putting or not making any kind of impact. Bennett would drop him in a heart beat.

How can you say for certain that Thaiday won’t get dropped, if that’s what’s best for the team with him not putting or not making any kind of impact. Bennett would drop him in a heart beat.
He has always been good for impact off the bench.

It's his last year.

He's been a long serving Bronco with a terrific rep record.

He's a leader.

He is good for team dynamics.

He's seasoned. Not an up and coming hot shot who thinks they've made it before they have.

And he's been working his p off this preseason wanting to give the club one last good year before he hangs up the boots.

Team player through and through.
Won't be dropped.

Plus everyone knows you're obsessed with the "up and comers" and "the next best thing" kind of players. And there's nothing wrong with getting excited about youthful, flashy players. I get it. Enthusiasm is a beautiful thing and it's great to see such posts full of optimism because **** knows this place needs it from time to time.

But you have to grow an appreciation for the older, wiser, battle hardened, experienced players who have the muscle memory, the conditioning, the miles in their legs and just the sheer confidence of going out there week to week, year to year and producing. And producing under a team dynamic. Thaiday has played under some of the greatest players we've ever seen and has been a terrific serviceman to the club. Probably need to show a little respect for that. You don't have finals footy without players like him.

Stack your team with young 20 something's and you have the previous Newcastle Knights. A team full of youth won't ever get you consistency. Flashy moments sure, but not mental toughness

It's his last year.

He's a leader.

He's seasoned. Not an up and coming hot shot who thinks they've made it before they have.

And he's been working his p off this preseason wanting to give the club one last good year before he hangs up the boots.

Won't be dropped.

I agree with everything but the leader part.

Also, Jack Bird has a secondary injury. Left training with ice

We haven’t won a premiership in how long and relying on the experienced players isn’t working is it.

I agree with everything but the leader part.
I think we've seen more in previous seasons when he had good preperations, but I think with a start to the year and injury free, we might see the old thaiday, who would see a team deflated and on the back foot, then take it on himself to lift them with a bullocking run. It's the kind of leadership I think he's talking about. I'm sure if his body is capable we'll see it again. If not, then it's likely someone like tagatese will fill the role.

I think we've seen more in previous seasons when he had good preperations, but I think with a start to the year and injury free, we might see the old thaiday, who would see a team deflated and on the back foot, then take it on himself to lift them with a bullocking run. It's the kind of leadership I think he's talking about. I'm sure if his body is capable we'll see it again. If not, then it's likely someone like tagatese will fill the role.

I hope he does provide that for us, and go out on a high. But I've seen him try that over the last few seasons (try and lift the team with an effort) and it has often not worked. He doesn't seem to provide spark, but I believe he still has something to offer, less with the stock hit ups and more as an opportunist. Being creative.

It's his last year.

He's a leader.

Won't be dropped.
As I've written several times I believe Thaiday will have to absolutely hit the ground running to get a start and then he'll have to be consistently performing to stay there. My guess would be Sims and Lodge to start but we need an experienced prop to replace either of them. I think that's where Tagatese will get a look in. I just don't see Haas being a starter early on but I can't guess what's been happening on the training paddock. WB has shown that he values experience mixed with youth.

I’ve got a question for everyone, what defines that a player is ready it’s said a lot on here but what is the real details.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.