2018 NRL Side

Is Bird back already, didn't he have to have surgery?

He wouldn't be training yet, hence not being in the rehab training squad. I assume he'll be back to light training in a few weeks.

I think this is going to be the squad next year
1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Roberts
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. Lodge
9. McC
10. Ofahengaue
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. McG

14. Thaiday
15. Sims
16. TPJ
17. Savelio/Tueli/Mago/Sua/Carrigan

Basically what I expect, but maybe with Sims starting in place of Offa. The pre-season will determine how far along Joe has come though.

Sims will start. Unless Bird is Lock. If Bird truly is earmarked to play in the middle, Sims might be our Lock til Bird is ready...

But honestly . . Given the shoulder, rehab and delayed start, I don't see Bird getting his body built and fixed to play in the middle. He'll play centre because playing someone like Oppaccic for a few rounds is easier for a straight swap with Bird then reshuffling our entire run on forward pack to accommodate.

I honestly see Bird even starting the year from the bench even

Everyone back now as of yesterday- bar World Cup players. Rehab group yesterday was Oates, Milford, Kahu and McCullough.
The boys going alright after surgery, no complications/niggly bits.

I still think anyone who thinks Bird has come here to play center is kidding themselves despite what comes out in the press.

I still think anyone who thinks Bird has come here to play center is kidding themselves despite what comes out in the press.

Bird's come here to play football. One of his reasons to come here was "to see more of the football", but that can still happen at centre. He doesn't have the size to play in the forwards, and he doesn't have the controlling aspects to fill the spot we need in the halves.

It's likely he will play centre next year because of the hampered preseason.

The intention may have been lock but he needs some serious gym time to stack on the kilos to play in the middle

Bird is listed as 93kg (albeit wikipedia)... even Glenn is listed as 103kg and is considered waaay undersized.

That's probably 2 preseasons worth of gym work to make up even that kind of ground. The rehab is a big blow for any positional change to occur next year.

Side note how is it that Bird's profile hasn't been added to broncos website

Where do you think he's going to play?

I think he'll play centre

May play some 6 and 1

Won't play lock

With his shoulder injury, i think its probably going to change our plans in the short term. That may mean a stint in halves or in the centers. Long term, we have bought him here to play lock.

I'm pretty certain from what i have heard the plan is to revert back to a real ball playing lock. I've said it before, but we need to forget about the size thing, it doesnt matter for the role he is going to play. He is going to be like an Ellery Hanley, Jason Smith, Matterson or a Bradley Clyde ( all of who would probably be fairly similar to Bird in size terms anyway give or take 5 kgs ), not a Gallen or Taumalolo who are going to give you big meters. Its something that will need people to get their heads around as its not used so much these days. Of course, if we try it and it doesnt work out, i'd say he will end up at fullback personally.

With his shoulder injury, i think its probably going to change our plans in the short term. That may mean a stint in halves or in the centers. Long term, we have bought him here to play lock.

I'm pretty certain from what i have heard the plan is to revert back to a real ball playing lock. I've said it before, but we need to forget about the size thing, it doesnt matter for the role he is going to play. He is going to be like an Ellery Hanley, Jason Smith, Matterson or a Bradley Clyde ( all of who would probably be fairly similar to Bird in size terms anyway give or take 5 kgs ), not a Gallen or Taumalolo who are going to give you big meters. Its something that will need people to get their heads around as its not used so much these days. Of course, if we try it and it doesnt work out, i'd say he will end up at fullback personally.
Interesting. Thanks for the replies.

Your and Smoking Joe's reply strongly suggests a lack of faith in Kodi despite what has been said publicly. Is this the case? Unless you mean he may slot in there as injury coverage. I guess the same may be said about Boyd and the fullback position.

I don't think size at lock is a huge deal if we make up the metres else where. He seems very strong as it is and a ball playing lock could create some very interesting footy.

To me the "size" required in the middle is more so about defence than offense and making meters.

He may not be a lolo or gallen but if he's in the middle then he will have to tackle them at some point

To me the "size" required in the middle is more so about defence than offense and making meters.

He may not be a lolo or gallen but if he's in the middle then he will have to tackle them at some point
Then you’ve got Macca and Smith who weigh around 90kgs in the middle.

He is pretty tough tbf and a good competitor. Cant see it phasing him tbh.

Then you’ve got Macca and Smith who weigh around 90kgs in the middle.
Do they have a 90kg lock playing next to them though???

We're not talking about bird playing hooker... you can't have a defensive line with 2 90kg blokes trying to hold up the middle it'll get run over. I'm not talking about physically running over btw I'm talking about props and locks picking them out to find their front and push the speed of the play the ball.

He is pretty tough tbf and a good competitor. Cant see it phasing him tbh.
I'm not saying he can't tackle them I'm talking about needing a bit of size to at least attempt to control the ruck.

Wrestle is just as much in offense as it is defense. Forwards look to find their front and play the ball quickly creating immense speed through the ruck and huge momentum for the set

Do they have a 90kg lock playing next to them though???

We're not talking about bird playing hooker... you can't have a defensive line with 2 90kg blokes trying to hold up the middle it'll get run over. I'm not talking about physically running over btw I'm talking about props and locks picking them out to find their front and push the speed of the play the ball.

you don't need to be the biggest guy in the world, if you change your tackling style to hit and stick instead of that arm grabbing WWE shit

Active Now

• Tmac
  • Culhwch
  • Manofoneway
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Ondi
  • rj9
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.