2018 NRL Side

Not just durable last season, the past 3 seasons he has played 67 games and if you know anything about the injuries he sustained early on that is quite an achievement. He also doesn't shy away from putting his body on the line, always willing to contest the high ball, always willing to come infield and take hitups, I think he could handle centre given time personally, but I'm not too keen to see Mead or Pearson in the side.

Last edited:
Add to the fact Kahu is liability at centre with poor defence and injuries from the extra work load.

Kahu would be gun at center, if given some time in the position ...

and moving him there would mean that we have a lessor liability in defense than we had last year.

that said due to Birds shoulder injury, I would leave Kahu on the wing for 2018 (with Bird at center), before moving Bird to lock and Kahu to center for 2019.

Kahu had his chance this start of the year to take the centre position and failed.

Kahu had his chance this start of the year to take the centre position and failed.

he played **** all there ... and it could hardly be classed as a fail, Bennett basically moved him back to the wing because his other wing options failed ... said as much himself

he played **** all there ... and it could hardly be classed as a fail, Bennett basically moved him back to the wing because his other wing options failed ... said as much himself

He missed something like 7 tackles in that manly game when he replaced roberts when he hurt his ankle

TO say Jack Bird could not be happier to be out of Cronulla would be a huge understatement.

Our spies up north told us Bird is relieved to be as far away from the Shire as possible.

He has bought a pad close to the city and quickly struck up a close bond with Jimmy “The Jet” Roberts.

From DT

TO say Jack Bird could not be happier to be out of Cronulla would be a huge understatement.

Our spies up north told us Bird is relieved to be as far away from the Shire as possible.

He has bought a pad close to the city and quickly struck up a close bond with Jimmy “The Jet” Roberts.

From DT

Well that will end up one of two ways...

He missed something like 7 tackles in that manly game when he replaced roberts when he hurt his ankle

playing a single game in the centers here and there makes it hard to get the defensive aspects of the position spot on.

things like timing, decision making and a combination with your winger only come with game time in the position.

besides the guy he would be replacing (if moving there in 2018) was given a whole season in the position and still was routinely missing 4-5 tackles a game, would have been higher except some of his efforts were so bad that he got nowhere near the attacking player

Even as a broncos fan I feel a tinge of sadness watching those Balmain clips. They may have been a basket case of a club, but they seemed to have a culture and history unique even to their amalgamated successor and I always looked forward to their clashes with Brisbane, as a kid.
The likes of roach, sirinen and elias proved worthy foes (Elias and roach filled the roles of villians, whilst sironen was the noble enemy).
Nothing around today quite matches up.

Gee your happy memories are different to mine!

Nothing but misery.

First ever loss, Ryan waving his how to beat Brisbane formula. Balmain exposed Brisbane that day who were undefeated and riding high.

Ryan beating his Langer trips drum.

Hancock knocking that ball back into play, Dowling sent off and suspended for 8 weeks- you'd have to kill a touchie now to get that.

Wally's worst ever game in 1989 and contributed to his sacking, Brisbane were terrible. They were just too strong those first two years. Too big and powerful and Brisbane couldn't contain them at all.

All turned around though with a Carne intercept in 1990 and Gee stood up to Sironen and they punched holes in each other at half time.

No you've got till June.

June?
Pretty sure you have to finalise it before then. June is the cut off for mid season player signings. NRL wont let you go into the season with less than 30 players.

June?
Pretty sure you have to finalise it before then. June is the cut off for mid season player signings. NRL wont let you go into the season with less than 30 players.

You have to spend 95% of cap by June 30.

24 of your 30 contracts are due today so that leaves six spots to fill before June 30 when your 30 is due.

Not just durable last season, the past 3 seasons he has played 67 games and if you know anything about the injuries he sustained early on that is quite an achievement. He also doesn't shy away from putting his body on the line, always willing to contest the high ball, always willing to come infield and take hitups, I think he could handle centre given time personally, but I'm not too keen to see Mead or Pearson in the side.
You just highlighted why he's a good winger then went on to say he should be a centre... Hmm

You just highlighted why he's a good winger then went on to say he should be a centre... Hmm

Don't get me wrong he could be just as effective on the wing I just don't see him as fragile as people make him out to be. He could be a success in the centres, doesn't necessarily mean he is the only option. Perhaps I didn't make it clear.

From DT
While the recent discussion of bringing back old tactics is fresh on our minds, I'd like to see the roving centres come back into play. Centre passing to centre. I saw it twice last year very early on in the season. Both times it lead to a great attacking play. ( Saw it from Broncos and storm)

These two guys getting well acquainted excites me

You have got me thinking about who I could come up with as genuine ball playing forwards. I agree with about Gavin Miller, he was a skilful ball playing lock.

It is really an art that has gone out of the game. Not in the position of lock, but the one that clearly comes to mind is Beetson. Steve Roach could at times as well. The other one that really stands out for me was Phil Gould.

In terms of the other prominent locks from the period, they were primarily all ball runners, like Pearce, Clyde, Linder, Moore, Price etc

The way games and teams are so structured now it's a very hard skill to use even if someone had it. You have people on certain sides and they don't move off that channel. In the past there would have been Sharks' players that were told follow Miller. In those clips ET is flying through looking for his out ball or short ball or shoulder ball to capitalise.

Players don't do that now. The fullback is the exception but we don't have a forward that can pass it for him anyway. Miller is running from the left side to the right probing away. Just doesn't happen anymore.

Players have nearly had that skill or attack breed out of them.

Active Now

• The Don
  • ell.d33
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • GCBRONCO
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Battler
  • RodF
  • Allo
  • Broncorob
  • Brocko
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Organix
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  • Midean
  • Strop
  • Lurker
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.