2019 Ashes discussion

I think he should be very much in the conversation. He has been near unplayable with the duke ball in the shield and now in England and has been consistently good with the bat too.
[automerge]1563922701[/automerge]
The fact both sides have scored next to nothing shows Australia should can’t play when the ball moves at all. Anderson and Curren will be so happy with what they would have seen or read last night.

If he can even get a 15-20 with the bat it may be enough the way the first innings for both sides have gone.

He really should be, but I just don’t see the selectors playing it anything but safe with same players we’ve always used. I’m glad he’s getting recognition nonetheless anyway

Neser as the allrounder? Much prefer him over Marsh, maybe over Labuschagne too

Last edited:
I'm sort of leaning towards:

1. Warner
2. Khawaja (if fit) / Burns
3. Larabungle (Never thought I'd go with him, seriously)
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Wade
7. Paine (c)
8. Neser
9. Pattinson
10. Cummins
11. Lyon

Huge risk I know but hey, why not?

This Ashes series will depend on which batting side can get 300+ in the first innings. You get around that mark, you’d pretty much be comfortable you’re going to win.

I'm sort of leaning towards:

1. Warner
2. Khawaja (if fit) / Burns
3. Larabungle (Never thought I'd go with him, seriously)
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Wade
7. Paine (c)
8. Neser
9. Pattinson
10. Cummins
11. Lyon

Huge risk I know but hey, why not?

Marcus Harris scored 1,100 runs in Shield last season and has scored relatively well in the last couple of Aus A / warm-up games, he's going to be opening with Warner.

Marcus Harris scored 1,100 runs in Shield last season and has scored relatively well in the last couple of Aus A / warm-up games, he's going to be opening with Warner.

But not for too long. He doesn’t have the technique to survive English conditions. Would be glad to be proven wrong though.

I just don't rate him. He's a bit like Lalabamba, looks a million dollars until he does something to throw his wicket away. Aussies don't need two of those, type of batsmen.

Burns has done it for longer and Khawaja at his best is one of only three world class bats available to Australia, either of them are EASILY ahead of Harris in MY team, even if that isn't how the selectors see it.

England 4/40 against Ireland lol. Their top 3 has less than 10 games between them. I haven’t felt like we were much of a chance the last few tours but we can definitely win this time round.

England 4/40 against Ireland lol. Their top 3 has less than 10 games between them. I haven’t felt like we were much of a chance the last few tours but we can definitely win this time round.

Make that 5/40 😂

This Ashes could be interesting, both teams have shaky batting line-ups and elite bowling line-ups. The average game length may legitimately be 2 and a half days for the Ashes.

GHXII out for 120, Neser the last to fall with 16

BHXII currently 0/3 off 6 overs

Make that 5/40 😂

This Ashes could be interesting, both teams have shaky batting line-ups and elite bowling line-ups. The average game length may legitimately be 2 and a half days for the Ashes.

Gotta be some close finishes if both sides are making <150

I have a good feeling about this Ashes. They can't doctor the wickets to swing like crazy because Cummins, Hazle, Patto, and/or Starc will absolutely run through their crap batting, and they can't dish out roads because we have better batting and it negates their one strength (swing bowling).

EDIT: In the last English Ashes they just produced green monsters constantly because our batting was close in quality but they were more accustomed to the conditions and they had Broad and Anderson, who were both younger and in better form than they currently are. This time around our bowling is better and so is our batting. Seriously, that top 3 is pathetic for them. Denly is a t20 mercenary who isn't even that great at the format but somehow continues to get picked up.

I just don't rate him. He's a bit like Lalabamba, looks a million dollars until he does something to throw his wicket away. Aussies don't need two of those, type of batsmen.

Burns has done it for longer and Khawaja at his best is one of only three world class bats available to Australia, either of them are EASILY ahead of Harris in MY team, even if that isn't how the selectors see it.

I wasn't a huge fan of Labu when he came in, but he's been improving out of sight and his County returns are freaky.

Last edited:
Marsh with 5 wickets .... if he makes any more than 10-15 he’ll be in I think

I have a good feeling about this Ashes. They can't doctor the wickets to swing like crazy because Cummins, Hazle, Patto, and/or Starc will absolutely run through their crap batting, and they can't dish out roads because we have better batting and it negates their one strength (swing bowling).

How can a wicket be prepared to swing ?
Swing is due to atmospheric conditions .

A wicket can be tailored to SEAM . That means the ball deviates after pitching .

Swing happens before the ball touches down on the pitch .

How can a wicket be prepared to swing ?
Swing is due to atmospheric conditions .

A wicket can be tailored to SEAM . That means the ball deviates after pitching .

Swing happens before the ball touches down on the pitch .

Good point. A green monster aids the swinging ball I guess, like Hobart when they put grass on it swings about like crazy; that could be an illusion due to the seam complimenting the swinging ball and making the thing unplayable. Even in overcast, muggy conditions it's hard to get wickets on a road.

Last edited:
Good point. A green monster aids the swinging ball I guess, like Hobart when they put grass on it swings about like crazy; that could be an illusion due to the seam complimenting the swinging ball and making the thing unplayable. Even in overcast, muggy conditions it's hard to get wickets on a road.

A green wicket doesn't make a ball swing any more than a flat wicket. Generally a green top is created due to a more humid or 'wet' climate. A green top makes a swinging ball all that much harder to play because not only do you, as a batsman, cater for the swinging ball, but also accommodate the seam. A green top also keeps the ball 'newer' for longer allowing for traditional swing to last up to 20-30 overs, where on a dry track it might be gone after 6-8 overs.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Thelmus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.