2019 Broncos Line-up

Things aren't going to change overnight, they may not change for the next decade. Basically a rookie coach overseeing a roster that is weaker than last year's. My expectations are definitely low and if Seibs can get these guys into the playoffs, then he gets a pass mark from me. A premiership is at least four years away though unless there is a complete overhaul of the spine and you need other sound options to undertake that of which there aren't.
I cannot wholeheartedly agree with your expectations statement. I would think that just about any coach, from any grade, from any sport could get this team into the playoffs. Anything else would be a monumental failure. When you consider this coach has inherited a premium quality team and has only to win 51% of his games to guarantee a playoff spot, missing would be an indictment. I think even Kyall would achieve it.

Must say, I’m getting awfully sick of these ‘Milf and Knick must get better’ articles.

What if they can’t? How long do we wait before that conversation gets taken up? (Not so much here, but more broadly).

Same goes for Macca and Boyd... our whole spine

Not sure that this is the right place to post this but..
On Thursday night, prior to our opener with the Storm, I was flicking around and landed on ch9 - very rare, as I always watch the footy on Fox.
It must have been just before kick off, and they went through the panel and asked for their tips. When it came to Locky, he said he thought the Storm would be too strong, and it would take time for things to jell under Seibold.
At the time, I thought this was a little odd.
Not too sure what to take out of this..Isn't Locky on the Broncos board, and also a significant figure in sacking Bennett and replacing him with Seibold?
I was excited for this game and thought we could have FINALLY beaten the storm with all this off season chat about how well training was going, how fit we were, how the halves were going to fire, how we have the best pack in rugby league blah blah..

I understand he has to put his ch9/professional hat on, but i could never imagine the likes of Thurston or Slater (also on the panel on the night) tipping against their teams, and they're not even significant figures at the club (at board level.)

It left me feeling a little uneasy as to how this season is actually going to play out, also how the preseason under Seibold genuinely went. I fully understand and expect Seib's plays and structures to take time, however for mine, Locky wasn't displaying too much confidence on Thursday night, and I don't think Friday against the Cowboys will be any easier..

A combination of being realistic and being out of the game for a while I think. Allows you to be a little more subjective IMO.

Not sure that this is the right place to post this but..
On Thursday night, prior to our opener with the Storm, I was flicking around and landed on ch9 - very rare, as I always watch the footy on Fox.
It must have been just before kick off, and they went through the panel and asked for their tips. When it came to Locky, he said he thought the Storm would be too strong, and it would take time for things to jell under Seibold.
At the time, I thought this was a little odd.
Not too sure what to take out of this..Isn't Locky on the Broncos board, and also a significant figure in sacking Bennett and replacing him with Seibold?
I was excited for this game and thought we could have FINALLY beaten the storm with all this off season chat about how well training was going, how fit we were, how the halves were going to fire, how we have the best pack in rugby league blah blah..

I understand he has to put his ch9/professional hat on, but i could never imagine the likes of Thurston or Slater (also on the panel on the night) tipping against their teams, and they're not even significant figures at the club (at board level.)

It left me feeling a little uneasy as to how this season is actually going to play out, also how the preseason under Seibold genuinely went. I fully understand and expect Seib's plays and structures to take time, however for mine, Locky wasn't displaying too much confidence on Thursday night, and I don't think Friday against the Cowboys will be any easier..

Totally refreshing to see an ex player turned commentator being honest about his former team

They all come out saying how amazing the team is, just because that's where their heart is

Locky spoke from the brain, and it was spot on

It will take time to adjust, he was just truthful

If he said yeah we'll spank 'em and then we lose, all the fans get worried

But if he says it will take time, let's not judge till round 8 or whatever, then fans get a balanced realistic view and are less likely to go postal after just one loss

All hail Locky :)

What about the young hooker from the dragons, cowboys are chasing him.
We have young Jake Simpkin in the system , currently in the emerging squad playing MM for Wynnum he is 182 cm and 90kg , probably abit like macca in defence but likes to run the ball and can score a try , not 18 till the end of the year so wont get to see him against men till next year but one to keep an eye on maybe

We have young Jake Simpkin in the system , currently in the emerging squad playing MM for Wynnum he is 182 cm and 90kg , probably abit like macca in defence but likes to run the ball and can score a try , not 18 till the end of the year so wont get to see him against men till next year but one to keep an eye on maybe

Thanks for the heads up

IMG 9487

I'm fine with him leaving. I've always said him and Kahu are expendable.

He's done well for us, but we don't need him when considering our future squad.

Kahu and Glenn open up around 600 - 800k in our cap.

With McGuire gone too, we have enough space to keep our young guys.

People defend the Jack Bird signing yet they will get annoyed when Kahu, McGuire and Glenn are forced out of the squad the year after.

Last edited:
View attachment 4641

I'm fine with him leaving. I've always said him and Kahu are expendable.

He's done well for us, but we don't need him when considering our future squad.

Kahu and Glenn open up around 600 - 800k in our cap.

With McGuire gone too, we have enough space to keep our young guys.

People defend the Jack Bird signing yet they will get annoyed when Kahu, McGuire and Glenn are forced out of the squad the year after.
I'm fine with us not re-signing him as per my initial stance, I just think we should make the young guys force him out by performing, not handing it to them by virtue of them being younger.

At the moment they're doing just that.

I'm fine with us not re-signing him as per my initial stance, I just think we should make the young guys force him out by performing, not handing it to them by virtue of them being younger.

At the moment they're doing just that.

Players like Flegler and Carrigan are worth losing Glenn for.

I also hope Jamil Hopoate makes the side one day.

Players like Flegler and Carrigan are worth losing Glenn for.

I also hope Jamil Hopoate makes the side one day.
As long as they perform, I agree.

I haven't seen enough of Hopoate to comment.

They’d want to be able to secure TPJ prior to letting Glenn go. More proof that rugby league is solely now a business.
I really hope that getting rid of one of the most loyal blokes in Glenn doesn’t backfire on us, the bloke is broncos thru and thru.

They’d want to be able to secure TPJ prior to letting Glenn go. More proof that rugby league is solely now a business.
I really hope that getting rid of one of the most loyal blokes in Glenn doesn’t backfire on us, the bloke is broncos thru and thru.

Glenn made his debut in 2009.. He's been in the first grade team for a decade.. The Broncos have given him a great run.

I hope he goes on to have a big impact at the club he goes to.. if he goes.

As long as they perform, I agree.

I haven't seen enough of Hopoate to comment.

Jamil isn't anywhere near good enough to break into this side unless we get decimated with injury or lose a lot to Origin. If you look past the YouTube footage that some seem to judge players on , you would see it fairly clearly.

Jamil isn't anywhere near good enough to break into this side unless we get decimated with injury or lose a lot to Origin. If you look past the YouTube footage that some seem to judge players on , you would see it fairly clearly.

Record of Glenn's NRL seasons

Upload 2019 3 26 10 27 36

Small sample of Hopoate's statistics in QLD cup (the bottom row is from 3 games this year)

Upload 2019 3 26 10 28 34

Last edited:
I don't want to lose Glenn. I think he is still apart of our best 17. Maybe not starting, but good off the bench. Also, he is an older head that has done the whole rugby league career thing well... he is not a dickhead. It's important for the younger fellas to have someone to aspire to be like, on a personal level - Even if they are better at playing footy.

I don't want to lose Glenn. I think he is still apart of our best 17. Maybe not starting, but good off the bench. Also, he is an older head that has done the whole rugby league career thing well... he is not a dickhead. It's important for the younger fellas to have someone to aspire to be like, on a personal level - Even if they are better at playing footy.

I'm kind of sick of pretending like we need to coddle these grown men. If we wanted to give the young guys someone to aspire to, we just have to invite someone like Petero Civonaceva to come to training. We already have Parker, Prince and Hodges around the place. Darren Lockyer is on our board.

Retaining the players we want long term should be our top priority over the next few years.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Evander
  • Lurker
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.