2019 Broncos Line-up

Hold onto your hats boys!

Damien Cook in demand with four clubs chasing star hooker’s signature.
NOVEMBER 18, 2018

Brisbane are believed to have made a bold late play to sign South Sydney hooker Damien Cook for the 2020 season. Cook's manager Mario Tartak told The Daily Telegraph that Cook is now considering lucrative offers from four clubs, including Souths.

Well-placed sources believe Cook could be persuaded to follow coach Anthony Seibold to Brisbane in 2020 when his Rabbitohs deal expires. Cook holds Seibold in high regard after the rookie NRL coach guided the 27-year-old from irregular first-grade starter to representative star in their first season together. He enjoyed a breakout year under Seibold, holding off the challenge of Robbie Farah for the hooking spot before earning NSW State of Origin and Australian honours.

Rival clubs, though, won't go away, given Cook is free to sign a contract for the 2020 season and beyond. Tartak said two of three rival clubs chasing Cook were based in Sydney, but would not confirm the Broncos as the other potential suitors. There has been a club that has come in late; Tartak said. I would be reluctant (to name the club) because we basically agreed not to say anything. We're down to four clubs and that includes Souths. Two are in Sydney, one out of Sydney. They are all strong offers.

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites...6620c59f30003a4e3b28240f225&memtype=anonymous
Not sure I'd want to be throwing that kind of cash at Cook to be honest. Would like to see how he follows up in 2019 before throwing serious coin at him. Those kind of hookers that are quick from dummy half and rely on speed are a bit of a dime a dozen to me... although Cook is able to sustain it for 80mins, which is a notch in his belt. I'd still want to see him back it up season after season.

The article only mentions 1 team out of Sydney... that could be Knights who seem to have endless cap space and have been chasing every hooker that's coming off contract.

Last edited:

NOVEMBER 18, 2018

Brisbane are believed to have made a bold late play to sign South Sydney hooker Damien Cook for the 2020 season. Cook's manager Mario Tartak told The Daily Telegraph that Cook is now considering lucrative offers from four clubs, including Souths.

Well-placed sources believe Cook could be persuaded to follow coach Anthony Seibold to Brisbane in 2020 when his Rabbitohs deal expires. Cook holds Seibold in high regard after the rookie NRL coach guided the 27-year-old from irregular first-grade starter to representative star in their first season together. He enjoyed a breakout year under Seibold, holding off the challenge of Robbie Farah for the hooking spot before earning NSW State of Origin and Australian honours.

Rival clubs, though, won't go away, given Cook is free to sign a contract for the 2020 season and beyond. Tartak said two of three rival clubs chasing Cook were based in Sydney, but would not confirm the Broncos as the other potential suitors. There has been a club that has come in late; Tartak said. I would be reluctant (to name the club) because we basically agreed not to say anything. We're down to four clubs and that includes Souths. Two are in Sydney, one out of Sydney. They are all strong offers.

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites...6620c59f30003a4e3b28240f225&memtype=anonymous

Tartak is a real piece of work. The less the club deals with this bloke the better.

Not sure I'd want to be throwing that kind of cash at Cook to be honest. Would like to see how he follows up in 2019 before throwing serious coin at him. Those kind of hookers that are quick from dummy half and rely on speed are a bit of a dime a dozen to me... although Cook is able to sustain it for 80mins, which is a notch in his belt. I'd still want to see him back it up season after season.

The article only mentions 1 team out of Sydney... that could be Knights who seem to have endless cap space and have been chasing every hooker that's coming off contract.

Agree. I was a big fan of what he did this season, but I'd like to see that he can maintain it before I go throwing big money at him. My memory may be a little fuzzy but he didn't exactly set the world on fire in the green and gold.

Thaiday was an origin and international rep.

Moose was a current origin and international rep.

Kahu was a fringe international rep.

Glenn was a fringe international rep and occasional stand in club captain.

Macca made his origin debut this year after years of being considered the heir to smith (he blew it but that was the thinking).

Korbin wouldn’t have been on much but not min wage either.

Not that I think any of these guys were on giant contracts but there is a thousand games experience there, and each of these guys have been around long enough to get an upgrade or two. There would have to be a million left over even considering brining in min wage replacements. Their starting team replacements are already accounted for, though like you said, minus a big chunk for upgrades.

What remains may be low like you’re suggesting or a lot higher. We don’t know. Add Brisbane’s TPA’s into the equation and I don’t think it’s that implausible that we could afford Cook. In fact if we can’t afford Cook after losing 5 of our core players (and Korbin) in one off season then somebody fucked up our cap management even worse than I thought.

Cook wouldn't benefit from TPA's he's the Blues hooker in a new city if he came to Brisbane with no profile and not exactly marketable. If I was a Brisbane business owner I am not handing over cash for him to endorse my product.

Broncos are pretty light on for marketable players I think.

Agree. I was a big fan of what he did this season, but I'd like to see that he can maintain it before I go throwing big money at him. My memory may be a little fuzzy but he didn't exactly set the world on fire in the green and gold.
He slowed right down after origin. IIRC he also picked up a leg/ankle injury at the back end of the year and didn't really get any time off to rest it. You could see his game slow down from that point on

He slowed right down after origin. IIRC he also picked up a leg/ankle injury at the back end of the year and didn't really get any time off to rest it. You could see his game slow down from that point on

Fatigued too, look at his career.

2013- 2 games (Dragons)
2014- 2 games (Dogs)
2015- 5 games (Dogs)
2016- 17 games (Souths)
2017- 23 games (Souths)
2018- 25 games and Origin and Tests.

He played more football this year than ever before he would have been paddlin' by the end.

I like Cook as a player, and I would happily sign him at the 800k mark.

If he can play 80 minutes week in week out, that is essentially giving us an extra forward, and two extra interchanges every week, that significantly increases his value.

As for him being flash in the pan, maybe, that's a risk you take with any player, he's 27 so he easily has a good 2-3 years of speed in him. I have no idea what sort of trainer he is off the field, but if Billy Slater can retain his speed and acceleration at 35, there's no reason to believe Cook can't keep his speed for another 3 years.

Cook wouldn't benefit from TPA's he's the Blues hooker in a new city if he came to Brisbane with no profile and not exactly marketable. If I was a Brisbane business owner I am not handing over cash for him to endorse my product.

Broncos are pretty light on for marketable players I think.

He’s the Australian hooker and is a clean skin off the field (for now). He comes across well in the media, and does a lot of good bloke stuff. It wouldn’t take long for him to build a profile.

I completely agree with your second statement though.

NOVEMBER 18, 2018

Never gonna happen

Thaiday was an origin and international rep.

Moose was a current origin and international rep.

Kahu was a fringe international rep.

Glenn was a fringe international rep and occasional stand in club captain.

Macca made his origin debut this year after years of being considered the heir to smith (he blew it but that was the thinking).

Korbin wouldn’t have been on much but not min wage either.

Not that I think any of these guys were on giant contracts but there is a thousand games experience there, and each of these guys have been around long enough to get an upgrade or two. There would have to be a million left over even considering brining in min wage replacements. Their starting team replacements are already accounted for, though like you said, minus a big chunk for upgrades.

What remains may be low like you’re suggesting or a lot higher. We don’t know. Add Brisbane’s TPA’s into the equation and I don’t think it’s that implausible that we could afford Cook. In fact if we can’t afford Cook after losing 5 of our core players (and Korbin) in one off season then somebody fucked up our cap management even worse than I thought.
Thaiday was getting big 3rd parties though

New picture of Gillett on the Broncos Instagram page that doesn't make him look as skinny

^^ Yeah he's looking pretty good actually. I like the sound of a leaner, musclier Gillett going into next year. Hit those gaps hard boy.

E5na3ed.png

Active Now

• Bongo
  • thenry
  • barker
  • Maroon4life
  • Wolfie
  • Skathen
  • Culhwch
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • kiwibronco
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Midean
  • Financeguy
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • whykickamoocow
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.