2019 Broncos Line-up

Corey Allan and Bennett don't get along well because of his cocky attitude. Allan is pretty pissed at the Bennett signing actually

How do you know this? I know he wasn’t retained under Bennett but how do you know he is pissed at the Bennett signing?

My issue with Boyd is that he isn't a threat with the ball. He hardly ever breaks a tackle, and doesn't have speed, so for the defence they basically know they can hold off him until he runs out of room. How many times this year did we see Boyd run across the field like a crab only to submit to a tackle?

I hope that was just because he wasn't fit and that he's better in 2019 but last year's year's performance, especially defensively and in terms of effort, in not getting my hopes up.
I saw him do it and it led to a try actually

Retention spree! Brisbane Broncos lock in Tevita Pangai Jnr for 2019 NRL season

Tevita Pangai Jnr committed to the NSW Blues for 2019, and now he’s done the same with Brisbane, reportedly inking a one-year deal to remain at Red Hill.
  • December 6, 2018 9:24pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
21030688b18c2aad3283ccb73430d536

Tevita Pangai jnr has re-signed with the Broncos.Source: AAP
According to The Courier-Mail, the Broncos will announce the re-signing as early as Friday.
Pangai Jnr’s retention completes a retention spree this week for the Broncos, which has seen Matt Lodge and Corey Oates re-sign on two and one-year deals respectively.
UP NOW!
e5e6348dbbb24d6db90b315be9c64478

Tevita Pangai of the Broncos.Source: Getty Images
The 22-year-old enjoyed an impressive 2018 season with the Broncos where he became one of the team’s most damaging forwards.
The short-term contract won’t do much to quell speculation over his future, and rival clubs will no doubt come knocking.
One team who could in 2020 are South Sydney, with Pangai Jnr and new Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett having a close relationship.
709609_640x360_large_20181206133501.jpg

Lodge re-signs with Broncos
0:56
The Newcastle junior had been in the sights of the Knights, and even toured the club’s facilities during a visit back home, but was always adamant he’d stay with the Broncos.
“I looked at the Newcastle set-up but it was a curiosity thing,” he told The Courier-Mail.
“I am from Newcastle and my best mates are there, so naturally I was keen to look at their set-up.
“They are going to be a strong club in the next few years so they were attractive, but I feel like I can play my best football at the Broncos.”
The 113kg Tongan international made his NRL debut with the Broncos in 2016 and has gone on to play 54 games for the club.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/c907e6972c1a95b069a59cabccf2c937

I just dont think Issako has the game to be a top level fullback. He is on the verge of becoming an elite winger, he should stick to that.
I think it's a bit premature to say he won't make it as a fullback. Everyone was saying the same thing about Val Holmes last year. He was awesome on the wing during the world cup. If memory serves me right, he started the season fullback for the Sharks, and it didn't really work. He was shifted back to the wing for Dugan i think, and everyone said he should stick to the wing.
But then he was moved back to fullback sometime later in the season, and it just clicked for him and the Sharks.
So could the same thing happen with Isaako? From what I've seen of him, I think he has enough to his game for the makings of a good fullback. Obviously there's a fair bit to be learned too, but I see no reason that that couldn't happen, given his progression this year alone.
I would like to see him on the wing again for next year at least, with a view to giving him a shot at it when Boyd is done. I honestly think the only way to find out for sure is throw him in and see what happens.

I think it's a bit premature to say he won't make it as a fullback. Everyone was saying the same thing about Val Holmes last year. He was awesome on the wing during the world cup. If memory serves me right, he started the season fullback for the Sharks, and it didn't really work. He was shifted back to the wing for Dugan i think, and everyone said he should stick to the wing.
But then he was moved back to fullback sometime later in the season, and it just clicked for him and the Sharks.
So could the same thing happen with Isaako? From what I've seen of him, I think he has enough to his game for the makings of a good fullback. Obviously there's a fair bit to be learned too, but I see no reason that that couldn't happen, given his progression this year alone.
I would like to see him on the wing again for next year at least, with a view to giving him a shot at it when Boyd is done. I honestly think the only way to find out for sure is throw him in and see what happens.

He is capable of playing fullback, that's not what I'm saying though. My point is the Brisbane Broncos are a team that aims for premierships. I don't think Issako will ever have the game for a side in that position. I'd love him to prove me wrong, I just don't see it in him.

He is capable of playing fullback, that's not what I'm saying though. My point is the Brisbane Broncos are a team that aims for premierships. I don't think Issako will ever have the game for a side in that position. I'd love him to prove me wrong, I just don't see it in him.

Did you not see the try of the year where he won ya that game for us. Imagine having him lurking around with his speed and agility.

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/12/07/pangai-jnr-stays-a-bronco/

Pangai Jnr Stays A Bronco

Author
broncos.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 7 Dec 2018, 10:12 AM
Share on social media

Exciting forward Tevita Pangai Junior has re-signed with the NRMA Insurance Brisbane Broncos, crediting new coach Anthony Seibold as a major factor in his decision.
The 22-year-old crowd-favourite has committed to a one-year contract, with an aim to securing a long-term deal off the back of a powerhouse 2019 in Broncos colours.
"I'm a Brisbane Bronco, obviously I want to stay – I'm going to be working hard to get another contract," Pangai told broncos.com.au
"I just feel this was the best place that I can play my best football – I'm happy here so I didn't want to change too much.
"The exciting group that we have here ... there's a good camaraderie around the boys, we get along really well, and I love living in Brissy – the fans have welcomed me and I really enjoy it.
"I was also really excited when I heard that Anthony Seibold was coming to the club with his staff – I feel like he can really help me, he's really big on the effort and the defensive areas ... it's going to be a good step forward.
"I've worked with (Seibold) before in the Junior Kangaroos and he's really good at explaining weaknesses in the other team and making sure that we are doing all the little things, the one percenters – that's his main focus and he's holding us accountable to that."
Pangai made big strides in 2018 with the Broncos, finishing fifth in the Paul Morgan Medal for Broncos' Player of the Year, just five points behind winner Anthony Milford.

Last edited:
I’m excited to announce today that I have extended my stay with Brisbane.
Every day I turn up to training with the same feeling I had on my first day at the club. I remember back then telling our recruitment manager, Peter Nolan, about how excited I was to train with the boys.
‘I’ve worked here for many years, Tevita, and I still get that feeling,’ he said. ‘Never lose it.’ Three years on and I haven’t.
I love training with the lads and working with the staff, who help me become my best on the field, and always support me off it. And that all leads up to the weekend when I get to run out with my teammates in front of the biggest, most vocal and energised members and fans in the NRL. I’m thankful for the way the community has embraced me since I moved up north.
There are always things to weigh up when you’re off-contract. There was interest elsewhere, which was humbling, but re-signing at the Broncos was the best decision.
You might be wondering why I only re-signed for one year. In short, I don’t want to look too far ahead and I don’t want to get comfortable. In making my decision to re-sign, I’m glad I took the time to step back and look at everything holistically because it gave me the opportunity to recognise and be thankful for what I have.
A lot of people were involved in the process – my family, good friend Georgio Batsinilas and mentor Steve Babic – and I know they’re all excited for me.
image: https://www.playersvoice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/PANGAI_PV1_INARTICLE_02.jpg
PANGAI_PV1_INARTICLE_02.jpg

COLD-CALLING WAYNE

I had always looked up to Israel Folau. He was Tongan, super talented and I knew everything about him. To this day, I strap my right wrist exactly the same way he does – white tape with a bit of black on top. It’s become a little ritual.
Izzy was playing first grade at the age of 17. That was something I wanted to do. His one-handed try in Origin, his 21 tries in his debut NRL season in 2007 … I just thought, ‘Wow, I would love to do that at his age.’
I wanted to be a young first-grader like Izzy and Sonny Bill Williams. I was 18 and getting told I should be playing first grade. Then I was 19 and being told the same thing. Nothing was happening for me. I felt like I was running out of time.
I’d had three pretty good years in the lower grades at the Canberra Raiders and was selected for the Junior Kangaroos on a few occasions. Late in 2015, Tonga picked me in an extended squad to play a Test against the Cook Islands, but I still hadn’t made my NRL debut and I was desperate for an opportunity.
So I cold-called Wayne Bennett. I knew Wayne wasn’t scared to play young guys in first grade – Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker, Karmichael Hunt and plenty of others got their start young – and I wanted to be a teenager in the NRL.
It took me three weeks from getting his number to actually calling him. I was that nervous!
I’d never met him, but I just needed an outside voice to talk through where my footy was at and what I needed to do to take that next step into first grade. He said he’d been following my career and wondered each week why I hadn’t been named on the Raiders’ team sheet.
Calling someone like Wayne out of the blue might sound strange to some, but that is how I like to do things. If I’m passionate about something and want an outcome, I’ll do whatever it takes to get the right information to ensure I make the right decision.
It took me three weeks from getting Wayne’s number to actually calling him. I was that nervous!
Things moved pretty quickly after that.
Wayne asked how I would feel about coming to the Broncos and I replied, ‘Give me the minimum wage and I’ll come straightaway’. Looking back, that probably sounded a bit desperate, but I was just determined to get a chance to play in the NRL. The pay check was irrelevant.
Not long after that call, I was on my way to Queensland.
I had only been to Brisbane once before for a footy game so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I liked it straightaway. The weather was good, the people were pretty laidback and there were heaps of Broncos billboards everywhere. I remember thinking, ‘This is crazy – everyone loves footy up here.’
image: https://www.playersvoice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/PANGAI_PV1_INARTICLE_03.jpg
PANGAI_PV1_INARTICLE_03.jpg

By the time I arrived at our training ground, I was nervous and quiet. It felt a bit like my first day at school.
Looking back, the move was a big risk from a football perspective because the Broncos pack at that time was stacked with Origin and international players – Corey Parker, Adam Blair, Sam Thaiday, Josh McGuire, Alex Glenn and Matt Gillett.
But I looked at the positives. I wanted to earn their respect and learn off them. They were all very welcoming and it helped because I don’t remember getting very homesick at all.
The rest is history. I’ve been here ever since and loved every moment of it.
I might not have cracked first grade as a teenager like Izzy, but I wouldn’t change a thing about my journey.
THE SEIBOLD ERA BEGINS

Signing a one-year deal had nothing to do with Wayne Bennett or where he was going to be coaching in 2019 and beyond. Wayne gave me my opportunity at NRL level and I’ll be forever grateful for that. But I’ve also learnt during my short career that no one person makes a footy club.
I say that with the utmost respect to Wayne. I loved being coached by him but I am a Bronco and my love for the club is greater.
My only focus is 2019 – I want to strengthen my game in all areas and I think Anthony Seibold is the man to help me do that. Seibs was on the coaching staff of our Junior Kangaroos team in 2015 and the one thing that struck me at the time about him was his attention to detail.
We only worked together for a short period but it was obvious very early that Seibs was smart, knew his footy and communicated very well. He put a lot of emphasis on the one-percenters. He knew the opposition’s weaknesses that we could exploit.
Seibs and his staff have done exactly the same thing with us this week – a big emphasis on the little things, effort-on-effort, focus on defence and strong communication.
A DIFFERENT PRE-SEASON

I’ve just returned from six weeks training in Orange County, California, preparing for pre-season. Most of it was power-based training with a strong emphasis on my speed and agility.
Each day, athletes from different sports would rock up – ex-NFL players, combat fighters, basketballers and so on – and that change of scenery I think freshened me up.
Now that I’m back in pre-season training, the focus is on conditioning and learning the systems of our new coaching staff. I’m five days in and loving every minute of it.
It also means I’m back training alongside Matt Lodge. Lodgey is my best mate and trains unbelievably hard, just like he plays. We are similar in many ways but also quite different, if that makes sense. I grew up playing rugby union and was always keen to try a lot of different sports. Lodgey, on the other hand, was a leaguie, born and bred in Penrith.
We’ve built a really good relationship and away from the club we often hang out and give each other advice, which I think has helped us both. We like to compete against each other which drives us to get better every day. Both of us hate losing in anything and always remind one another who won what. It’s good fun.
Young guys like Lodgey, Kotoni Staggs, Patrick Carrigan, Payne Haas, Joe Ofahengaue and David Fifita have made a mark early in their careers and could be anything if they continue the way they have started. Consistency will be key for all of us.
Hopefully, we can stick together and continue building together because we’re a happy group and all mix in well with each other, which helps.
image: https://www.playersvoice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/PANGAI_PV1_INARTICLE_04.jpg
PANGAI_PV1_INARTICLE_04.jpg

COVERING FOR MOOSE

We have our work cut out for us this season following the departure of Josh McGuire to the Cowboys. Moose was a great player for the Broncos and the news came as a surprise to me.
His work rate and aggression were second-to-none and really important for us. All of us younger guys looked up to him.
In my opinion, a single player won’t replace what Moose brought to our side. We all have to raise the bar and it’s going to be a special team effort to replace what he gave us.
PAGE 1
Tevita Pangai Jnr - Contributor

Read more at https://www.playersvoice.com.au/tevita-pangai-junior-coming-back/#DSJbl6eY8BmtdkLK.99

Sorry Wayne and lol@soufs. He ain’t comin’.

Last edited:
Did you not see the try of the year where he won ya that game for us. Imagine having him lurking around with his speed and agility.

Yep, but what has that really got to do with him playing the role of a modern day fullback? It was a great individual try, but you need more than speed and agility to be a top line fullback.

Yep, but what has that really got to do with him playing the role of a modern day fullback? It was a great individual try, but you need more than speed and agility to be a top line fullback.
I dunno, it's worked alright for Tedesco so far. He only learnt to pass in about August.

I dunno, it's worked alright for Tedesco so far. He only learnt to pass in about August.

Yep, he has, and I'm hoping Issako can add it to his game as well. I've never seen any signs of it yet from him either from when he played for Souths or when he played NRL last year.

I’m excited about what the future may be under Seibs but these re-signing comments giving praise to the all powerful new leader is a bit North Korea for my taste.

No way TPJ re-signed thanks to the arrival of Seibold. The Oates gushing was a bit hard to believe too.

Yep, he has, and I'm hoping Issako can add it to his game as well. I've never seen any signs of it yet from him either from when he played for Souths or when he played NRL last year.
That's true of Johnston as well and Seibold managed to get him into good positions to throw the simple pass. Johnston is no ball player but the rabbitohs created just enough on the inside that he wasn't under pressure or having to make split second decisions.

My hope is he would be able to do the same with Isaako and as he becomes comfortable with the simple pass his awareness of the situations will increase and his game should evolve.

Not saying he's going to be a superstar ball player but just knowing when to pass and when not to... or recognizing he's outside his man and put a show and go on would make him that bit more deadly from fullback. It will be interesting to see how he progresses over time.

I’m excited about what the future may be under Seibs but these re-signing comments giving praise to the all powerful new leader is a bit North Korea for my taste.

No way TPJ re-signed thanks to the arrival of Seibold. The Oates gushing was a bit hard to believe too.
True, but it has been neglected that TPJ had previously played under Seibold.

BIG QUESTION - Who should be our long term halfback out of these two?

Tanah Boyd?

Sean O'Sullivan?

Personally I'd go with Tanah due to the fact that he is a Queenslander and Broncos junior, has already got combinations with existing players in the squad (Fifita especially)

O'Sullivan is a NSW player.. I'm less inclined to develop a halfback for the Blues

OR

Both could play and Milf could drop back to fullback.

Last edited:
True, but it has been neglected that TPJ had previously played under Seibold.
The rumour too was that Lodge and Seibold still hated each other after a Storm run in. That obviously holds no water.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • theshed
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Lurker
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Browny
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • Wolfie
  • Jazza
  • Midean
  • Brocko
  • Skyblues87
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncsgoat
  • Shane Tronc
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.