2019 Broncos Line-up

Johns and Fittler spend the 1st 9 minutes wanking over us. We must be in for a big year.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...093e02c0315ee980-1552627242&memtype=anonymous

Gillett won’t be going anywhere

MARCH 15, 2019

Broncos veteran Matt Gillett has not given up hope of a return to the second-row despite Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold insisting he has no immediate plan to abort his lock experiment with the Origin star.

Gillett admits he felt like a “headless chook” during his first appearance at lock in almost five years in Brisbane’s season-opening 22-12 loss to Melbourne at AAMI Park on Thursday night.

Playing his first NRL game in 11 months following a fractured neck and shoulder surgery, Gillett was gasping for air after 15 minutes under attack from Melbourne midfield giants Jesse Bromwich and Nelson Asofa-Solomona.

Prior to his neck ordeal, Gillett had carved out a reputation as the NRL’s finest right-edge back-rower.

The 30-year-old still craves a return to the No.12 jumper, but accepts he may have to make a short-term positional sacrifice for the betterment of a youthful Broncos forward pack.

“The way the team is at the moment, it might be a bit of time before I go back out to the edge,” Gillett said.

“Payne (Haas, prop) is out for a few weeks and Tevita (Pangai Jr) has missed a bit of the pre-season with his hamstrings, so we need a bit of experience in the middle at the moment with the young group we’ve got.

“For the time being, I’m happy to do my role in the middle. We need 17 guys doing the job so whatever role I get, I will do my best for the team.”

The numerical shift from No.12 to No.13 may seem subtle, but on the park, it was a shock for Gillett.

Stationed smack bang in the heart of the high-octane ruck attrition battle, the Maroons ace felt rushed and unable to be as selective as he is on the fringes.

It was a tribute to Gillett’s toughness and competitive instincts that he finished the Storm showdown with a game-high 50 tackles.

“It felt like I made that many tackles,” he said with a laugh. “It’s something I’m not used to ... I felt like I was in a washing-machine cycle.

“I was gone after about 15 minutes, but I just had to hang in there and get the job done.

“I was running around like a chook with my head chopped off.

“I didn’t think there would be too much difference but it definitely is – you have to be on the ball the whole time and filling in spaces in defence.

“On the edge you get to watch the game unfold, but in the middle you are constantly going. I have to get used to that.”

With Haas not due to return from suspension until round five, Seibold said is keen to retain Gillett in the midfield.

“For the foreseeable future, I see ‘Gillo’ getting better and better in the middle,” he said.

“It was a pretty fair stint. It was his first game back since round five last year.

“He had a pretty good shift against the Storm forwards ... he worked his backside off.”

Last edited:
1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Corey Oates
3. Darius Boyd
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. James Roberts
6. Anthony Milford
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Alex Glenn
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Jaydn Su'a
12. Matt Gillett
13. Jack Bird
17. Tevita Pangai Junior

I'd prefer this line up.

There's nothing in that line up that's more ridiculous than Gillett at lock.

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Corey Oates
3. Darius Boyd
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. James Roberts
6. Anthony Milford
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Alex Glenn
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Jaydn Su'a
12. Matt Gillett
13. Jack Bird
17. Tevita Pangai Junior

I'd prefer this line up.

Oh I think Bird at lock and Glenn at hooker tops that.

What makes you think they could handle such roles?

They'd be more useful in those positions than they are in the ones they're in now.

Glenn is composed and has the skill and footy brain to handle playing hooker. He used to play halves and hooker in the under 20's for us.

It's been widely publicised that Bird wants to play lock, so give it to him.. If he can't do that then drop him.

They'd be more useful in those positions than they are in the ones they're in now.

Glenn is composed and has the skill and footy brain to handle playing hooker. He used to play halves and hooker in the under 20's for us.

It's been widely publicised that Bird wants to play lock, so give it to him.. If he can't do that then drop him.

Glenn has always been like a 3 out of 10 at hooker at best. He'd make Macca almost look like Cam Smith.

Watching the game last night I actually thought "I can see why bird at lock might work". His upper body strength is hodges-like at times, he throws of the first tackler every run, it's takes a couple to get him down, he has quick feet just before the line, can make 100+ metres, and he can hit hard in tackles. Keep in mind as well that nearly every run he had was him cutting inside running at storms middle 3rd players..

Would it work, not sure. But it could work, and last nights performance made me a little more open to the idea actually

Last edited:
1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Corey Oates
3. Darius Boyd
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. James Roberts
6. Anthony Milford
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Alex Glenn
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Jaydn Su'a
12. Matt Gillett
13. Jack Bird
17. Tevita Pangai Junior

I'd prefer this line up.

Yeah there is " jack bird " , he would've been ran over last night. We need a big body at 13 not stick man , as good as gillo is he got walked over.

Glenn has always been like a 3 out of 10 at hooker at best. He'd make Macca almost look like Cam Smith.

Yeah and where are all the people that say Jake Friend is essentially the same player as Andrew McCullough?

If you say that, you have no clue

Yeah and where are all the people that say Jake Friend is essentially the same player as Andrew McCullough?

If you say that, you have no clue

Completely disagree.

Swap Macca and Friend and there would be little difference. Friend’s benefit is he is passing to Cronk, Keary and Tedesco, not KNik, Milf and Boyd. That gulf in class is the difference right there.

He's not as big as our current forwards but he packs a punch. Has some good creativity too.

I'd say he's a cross between Taumalolo and Tyrone Peachey

You have to be having a laugh. There is no similarity between him and JT2 in the way they play. He is a fairly decent lock for Redcliffe and good in the ISC, but he makes a lot of simple errors, and there is plenty in his game he would be caught out with in the NRL. I watch Redcliffe most weeks so dont be fooled by these youtube clips. They are generally made to accent the positive things from a players game.I'm not saying he isnt a decent player, he is, but he wont get a look in here unless we get decimated by injury.

As for Carrigan at lock, he is a much better prop. He could play anywhere in the forwards because he is that good. Its very subjective anyway because not everyone looks for the same things from a lock. Patty would just be a prop playing in the lock position. HE wouldnt be playing lock like JT2 or Cameron Murray is tonight for example.

I'd also love to see where you got this Glenn played in the Halves for our u20's. I can certainly remember him playing a fair amount of center, back row and lock for our 2008 u20's. Jared Kahu and Ben Hunt were our halves the majority of the time.

Last edited:
He is naturally a lock, isn’t he? @Wolfie

I'm not exactly sure to be honest if i would say he is naturally a lock. I'd say probably he just a natural middle forward. I personally think he is best as a prop, but a lot of teams play their locks just like a prop anyway, and he has the workrate, communication, leadership and toughness to be a top player there as well. As i mentioned earlier though, if you want a lock like Murray for example, then you dont play Carrigan there.

Last edited:
Completely disagree.

Swap Macca and Friend and there would be little difference. Friend’s benefit is he is passing to Cronk, Keary and Tedesco, not KNik, Milf and Boyd. That gulf in class is the difference right there.

Anyone watching tonights game would probably disagree.

Friend played awesome and was doing just as much kicking and play making as Cronk and Keary, and was arguably more effective than them when doing so. His kicking game has come in leaps and bounds in the last 2-3 years, McCullough's really hasn't improved at all as far as I can tell (Although he never even tried to kick early in his career, so maybe it has.)

I'm not exactly sure to be honest if i would say he is naturally a lock. I'd say probably he just a natural middle forward. I personally think he is best as a prop, but a lot of teams play their locks just like a prop anyway, and he has the workrate, communication, leadership and toughness to be a top player there as well. As i mentioned earlier though, if you want a lock like Murray for example, then you dont play Carrigan there.
Carrigan deserve to play next week.

He played centre and second row in the 20’s

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Matheos
  • Tmac
  • TimWhatley
  • Gaz
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  • Ejbroncos
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.