2019 Broncos Season Review

How does Tesi Nui go? I’ve heard his a gun fullback

Only seen him play a couple of times, very speedy but not sure otherwise.

According to Chris Garry on twiiter, he states Jack Bird is being looked at for FB, Milford back into the halves and Boyd at left centre or on the bench. Why the hell would Boyd be on the bench?! Fat lot of good he'd be there. I guess if he stayed there for the full 80 minutes it might be helpful to the team though.

Last edited:
Bird would make a solid fullback if he got his fitnesses 100%.

Bird at FB wouldn't be the worst thing. Think he could do well there, at the back running the ball back hard, break a few tackles etc. Just not sure how good of a communicator he is organising the defensive line etc.

I'm over Milford TBH. I'd give him one last chance at 6 and if he keeps performing the way he is, cut him loose. I've had it with him. He hasn't improved what so ever since 2015.

Board orders open-heart surgery on Broncos to revive powerhouse
Brent Read12:00AM September 17, 2019
The Broncos’ horror show at Parramatta to end a disappointing season has led to the Brisbane board instigating a thorough review. Picture: AAP The Broncos’ horror show at Parramatta to end a disappointing season has led to the Brisbane board instigating a thorough review. Picture: AAP
The Brisbane board has called for a surgical review of the Broncos’ disappointing season as it prepares to give coach Anthony Seibold carte blanche to do whatever is necessary to turn the club around.
Broncos chair Karl Morris told The Australian the board would meet on Friday and had asked chief executive Paul White, Seibold and the football department to provide details of their plans to revive the club’s fortunes.
Brisbane’s season came to a disastrous end on Sunday afternoon when they were on the receiving end of the biggest loss in the club’s proud history — a 58-0 thrashing at Bankwest Stadium at the hands of a Parramatta side that finished last year with the wooden spoon.
Recriminations are expected to follow and while Morris was quick to throw his support behind Seibold, he also insisted the season was unacceptable and changes needed to be made. Those changes are expected to begin almost immediately as the club evaluates a playing squad that failed to compete with the NRL’s top teams.
Morris said the football department would be empowered to implement any changes they deemed necessary to improve the Broncos’ flagging fortunes, that process expected to begin with some tough conversations in coming weeks.
Stream every match of the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership Finals Series before the Grand Final Live & On-Demand on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >
The future of captain Darius Boyd remains in doubt, despite him having two years remaining on his existing deal. Boyd is slated to earn upwards of $600,000 next year and has an option for the year after provided he plays 15 games in 2020.
There is every chance the club will attempt to negotiate a settlement and look to keep Boyd involved with the club off the field, where his work in the area of mental health makes him a valuable proposition not just to the Broncos, but to the entire game.
Boyd isn’t the only prominent Broncos figure scrapping for his future. So too are hooker Andrew McCullough and potentially even Jack Bird, who has barely played for Brisbane since joining the club on a mega-deal at the start of last season.
“I feel sorry for the fans who have supported us through the whole season,” Morris said. “The board is meeting on Friday and has asked the chief executive, the coach, and the head of recruitment to outline the changes that are going to take place for 2020 to ensure this doesn’t happen again. That was not acceptable, on any level.
“Not only was it disappointing, it was embarrassing. It has been a tough season but to finish it in that way is completely unacceptable to the board of the Broncos.”
Morris insisted the club remained committed to Seibold, who joined the Broncos this season on what could potentially be a six-year-deal — the final year is an option in his favour.
The club severed ties with seven-time premiership winner Wayne Bennett to secure the reigning Dally M coach of the year and his maiden season at the club has been a turbulent one. The Broncos have struggled to find their rhythm and the sense is that a playing squad littered with young stars needs a sea change, starting with some of the more experienced and long-serving players.
It will be a delicate balancing act for Seibold, given one of the criticisms of the Broncos this season has been their lack of experience. Seibold must also find a way to extract the best from Anthony Milford, whose switch to fullback during the year produced mixed results.
It could be that Milford moves back to the halves next year to play alongside youngster Thomas Dearden. Alternatively, the Broncos have been linked with a move for Melbourne halfback Brodie Croft, who has lost his starting spot at the Storm to Jahrome Hughes.
It promises to be another season of tumult for the club — last year they spent the off-season wading through the Bennett-Seibold switch.
“We made a long-term call on Anthony,” Morris said. “We’re not going to panic because of one game and a tough season. We eventually did get in the top eight — eight other teams didn’t.
“That end to the season just illustrates a lot of the issues that happened throughout the season — the inconsistency for the whole season. It was highlighted in that dreadful, embarrassing final match.”
Chief executive Paul White’s current contract also comes to an end next month.

I’m still of the belief that it will only take small tweaks. If I were Sieby doing my review ...

First off - we aren’t going to win the premiership next year, it’s going to take longer - but we can lay really good foundations for the following year.

1) Macca and Darius good bye, obviously try to cut some sort of deal, but if they play hard ball, I’d just cop the $1,000,000 wasting away in QCUP for a year and think of it as a test. If we can come 5th let’s say, with 1M missing, imagine what we can do with an extra million 2021.

2) Leadership - do we focus on today or tomorrow? I wouldn’t be bringing in an external captain. I would create the leadership group with a clear distinction between the on-field leaders (TPJ, Lodge, Haas, and probs Bird), the older heads (Glenn & Gillo) and the younger “future captains” (Dearden, Carrigan) ... Milford, despite all his skill, doesn’t strike me as a leader - unfortunately. From that, as others have said a leader will emerge. Personally I think Carrigan has the best hair, so it should be him. Also he seems very articulate and doesn’t really make mistakes.

3) Milford issue.... at his best he is proper elite, right now he is proper average. Is this attitude or systematic of playing too many roles at once? Basically this is high priority because we need him to be firing if we want to win anything. His role needs to be at 6, and it needs to be simplified. If this doesn’t work.... goodbye and sorry :(

4) young bloods - we have seen our strong young forwards coming through, now it’s time to see what the backs can do. One major positive for me is how Seibs blooded the youths this year, he didn’t rush anything. If he can keep doing this with the likes of Farnworth, Coates, Paix etc. then I’m pretty comfortable there. Some of these guys will be guns.

5) on-field. Review turning points in games. Why were we so resilient against sharks / warriors / eels then so crap at other times? Why did we suck so much away from home? Find out what drives the boys..... and find out what crushes them. They don’t have the mental resilience of other teams. Personally I think getting rid of Boyd will have a huge impact on this. When your captain is walking, why bother running?

That’s kind of all before you get in to the coaching stuff. Most of it is off field and attitude. Lots to fix, but it’s just laying good foundations. Obviously the boys can play footy, just that the foundations are shaky.

Same as my post earlier in the year. It’s a season to take our medicine.

So many panic switches being pushed by everyone here. Yes we were pumped, no it’s not good enough. But... from where we were at the start of the year, to now, is a vastly different club. New principles, new players, new staff - and I think somewhat importantly - no lingering Wayne mentality. The Wayne era is gone and for the better of the future of the club too I might add.

Things ARE going in the right direction despite the display yesterday. There ARE going to be changes, significant ones too. And the club will 100% be better for it. Some of those changes will come quickly too.

The coach has laid the beginnings of a new era. Judge him and the players this time next year. Not now.
Your my boy blue

@ParraMania and @tajhay

Coming on to the forum of a team that has just been bundled out of the finals (especially in that fashion) is nothing but childish and pathetic

I work with a Parra fan, and after we beat them by 1 point in golden point I didn't go up to his office and give him crap, we just talked about the game a few days later, like adults

I have not heard from him since this awful loss and I won't at all unless I bring it up.

It's called class, you should try it
Did you even read any of the post I made back in 2018 - I didnt say haha we won -

I was pointing out the fact that blind freddy saw that Boyd was gone - Milford a Dud - Lodge a school boy bully who only seems to get tough when the games over or hes picking on the smallest player in the opposition team.

But thanks for the advice Champ!

p.s Your Boss isnt a true Parra fan if he hasnt given you stick over get your arse handed to you 58-0. Tell him to send in his membership card and support the Donkos.

Bennett’s mouthpiece (Aka Paul Fuckface Crawley) making an absolute goose of himself yet again on 360.

First of all he is saying Seibold distanced himself from the players and didn’t take ownership of the result. That’s despite Seibold saying he is the head coach of the the team and that he takes responsibility in his post match presser.

Then he started on his Seibold has lost the dressing room agenda again to make it look like Wayne was hard done getting the boot headlined by this gem:

“Andrew McCullough and Matt Gillett are in my top 10 players of the last 5-10 years. No one tries harder than Andrew McCullough so if he is cutting off on a 1 percenter, for me that speaks of the club’s culture”

McCullough in his top 10 players of the last decade?

LOLOLOLOLOL [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Does this knuckle dragger watch games or does he not even try and hide his obvious agenda anymore. He is no doubt highlighting this because he knows full well we are going to cut Macca soon and then he can make it look like we’ve mistreated a club legend and a great player. Deadset peanut

Last edited:
Bennett’s mouthpiece (Aka Paul Fuckface Crawley) making an absolute goose of himself yet again on 360.

First of all he is saying Seibold distanced himself from the players and didn’t take ownership of the result. That’s despite Seibold saying he is the head coach of the the team and that he takes responsibility in his post match presser.

Then he started on his Seibold has lost the dressing room agenda again to make it look like Wayne was hard done getting the boot headlined by this gem:

“Andrew McCullough and Matt Gillett are in my top 10 players of the last 5-10 years. No one tries harder than Andrew McCullough so if he is cutting off on a 1 percenter, for me that speaks of the club’s culture”

McCullough in his top 10 players of the last decade?

LOLOLOLOLOL [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Does this knuckle dragger watch games or does he not even try and hide his obvious agenda anymore. He is no doubt highlighting this because he knows full well we are going to cut Macca soon and then he can make it look like we’ve mistreated a club legend and a great player. Deadset peanut
Has Crawley ever even played sport? He looks like the kid you'd let peg the ball when you played cricket because he couldn't bowl. And you'd still get 4 wides.

I have an issue with this. The rest is rubbish from Crawley but Siebs DID do that. He said one sentence where he takes responsibility and then went on to say he is working really hard and blamed the players once again for everything, distancing himself from it all. He has been doing this after bad losses all year.

I have an issue with this. The rest is rubbish from Crawley but Siebs DID do that. He said one sentence where he takes responsibility and then went on to say he is working really hard and blamed the players once again for everything, distancing himself from it all. He has been doing this after bad losses all year.

I don’t refute that but Crawley was acting like Seibold took zero responsibility which was clearly not the case. He completely ignored the fact Seibold did take his share of responsibility so that he could get his agenda driven dribble into his weekly segment. His weekly segments during the year have fairly often been about undermining Seibold and the Broncos. He is obsessed. Funny how his mouth was zipped tight when Bennett was at the helm.

I think the way Seibold put some onus on the players was refreshing in a way because he has been making excuses and sticking up for under performing senior players all season. Darius a case in point. I think his patience ran out when we lost 58-0 and the frustration boiled over. I just wish he had of done this earlier in the season when it was warranted but I understand he doesn’t have the runs on the board and may have found himself offside early on with the playing group which would have been disastrous.

The magnitude of that finals loss to me means it’s no holds barred now as it should be. Some accountability is going to be refreshing and the wake up call we need as a playing group and to rebuild this culture

Has Crawley ever even played sport? He looks like the kid you'd let peg the ball when you played cricket because he couldn't bowl. And you'd still get 4 wides.

His face looks like he been trodden on by Addin Fonua-Blake a dozen plus times so he might have laced up once or twice possibly.

For me the review won't change much unless it looks at the club as a whole and that includes the administrative side of things e.g White. You don't go handing a new unproven coach just because he is long time mates with the CEO and off the back of a winning streak a 5 year deal, sign past it players like Boyd, Macca and Gillett to 4 year contracts etc. Otherwise if your just going to let the players and coaching staff the review things won't change much at all from my point of view.

Active Now

• Spoon
  • Mustafur
  • Sproj
  • Scorchie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • Astro
  • BroncosAlways
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.