2019 Origin Discussion

Apparently Klemmer will be overlooked for Game 3 if Sims beats the ban, which he should because it was a rubbish charge.

I actually can't believe that. I know they have a lot of depth in that department but why would you leave out Klemmer? He's arguably the best prop they have available.

I don't think it's even arguable. I dunno who would try to argue against it.

What in the world has Mbye contributed in the W & the L at 14? Chambers & Glasby in the top 17 again? Really???

How can the QLD selectors not look at Chambers liabilities? Has they gone blind or just won't be bothered? Corey Thompson of Tigers will easily do a far better job than Chambers at wing and as a bonus he doesn't commit any silly/stupid errors except 200% commitment to the team.

Glasby to me is a kind of player who will only chip in if the team he's in is leading and about to win a game. If the team is loosing, he will be a liability.

We need some punch and aggression on the bench so that they can provide that extra spice when they're given a chance. Horsburgh & Lui of Raiders fit the bill so well especially, the former. Wonder why the selectors don't look at one of them instead of Glasby?

I am just a QLD & Broncos fanatic whose intention is to win no matter what. If I am able to propose better players who could get us a W in 5-10 minutes of writing this post, wonder how difficult is it for the selectors to think through and find the best?

Dear oh dear what happened to innovative thinking? Oh please don't bother telling me about good old "QLD loyalty card". That loyalty card worked in the past because those players are at a total different level skills wise, personality wise and most importantly know how to win even when we are down by 12 points.

Last edited:
I'm good with norman being named in the halves, at least he's got a good long kicking game and that can't hurt.

I still think Munster is a Fullback.

Melbourne can cover a lot of his weaknesses at club land with the Smith brilliance, after he retires we're going to really see what Munster's got as a playmaker

I haven’t watched a lot of his games but when I have I noticed he never passes. Another Hoffman?

I think, Munster, like may others, is overrated

Paul Vautin has expressed interest in coaching the Maroons if Walters steps down at the end of this series.

I actually would not be against Vautin as coach. Watching the Chris Close episode of League Legends, he had nothing but praise about his coaching ability and revealed a side of Vautin that a lot of people probably wouldn't know given his larrikin style personality. He's also very passionate about the Maroons and has the respect of the players.

I think he should be considered.

Walters has done nothing so far to convince me he is the man for the job.

Also noticed facebook had a video of Pearce with the slow zoom in/different angles of him titled unfinished business. There’s your feel good story for a NSW win.

Gillo gone, Napa or Lowe to replace him.

Hopefully Napa comes in as a replacement.

I feel we really need to try and monster their pack and stop their go forward.

Gillo will be a loss, even though i feel he hasn't done too much in the first two Origin games.

Is it weird that i just don't care about this game or series? Is it because I live overseas?

Is it weird that i just don't care about this game or series? Is it because I live overseas?

Nah there is a bit of that around. Always get fired up a bit before kick off though. The Broncos season has dulled my passion for league in general a bit this year.

nah I'm with you, I've felt burnt out from origin the last few years, even in the dying embers of our dynasty. Oversaturation has killed it for me, it's all you hear about from April to July.

I'll watch it for sure, but I don't really have the same fervour I did for it 10-15 years ago.

Losing Ponga made me lose interest, considering he was pretty much the only bloke who's looked like doing anything for Queensland this series.

At least we'll get Fifita starting, that'll be good experience for him, if nothing else.

Some series definitely mean more than others, but when I see players playing to their absolute limit in-front of a packed out stadium and social media ablaze, it's hard not to get invested. It's a reminder of what the NRL should look like and you don't see a lot like it outside of a couple of regular season games and the finals.

I will say I've found myself more invested than I thought I would. Kevie has turned a couple of people off, but I found his approach to be genuinely inspiring. He isn't afraid to get emotional and try absolutely every approach to try and get Queensland over the line. Before the series, I was afraid Kevie was just going to go through the motions and continue to make appearances on NRL 360 where he'd joke around with the boys.

I also wasn't a fan of Freddy's selection policies in Game II and I hope he gets his just desserts. After crowing about team work, the way he threw some of his players under the bus was disgusting and he's clearly playing favourites. He's been extremely lucky in regards to injuries and suspensions forcing him to pick a better side and to his credit, got his guys to lift for Game II.

I'm already feeling the nerves and excitement now. If Queensland somehow manage to pull this off, it will be one of their greatest victories in Origin history. Hope is dangerous and you leave yourself open to get burned, but without it sport can be so dull.

They need to bring back the biff just in Origin. The teams used to hate each other, now everyone is friends. Plus you get little shits like Maloney and Keary getting away with niggling frontrowers.

For me, it was already struggling to look like a "Queensland" team with our best spine players retiring from rep, and DCE among others coming in. I know that's the reality going forward, but that's how I feel. Add to that, all the injuries, and the team is almost unrecognisable compared to 3 or so years ago.

clearly playing favourites

I'm surprised I didn't make a freudian slip here.

Thinking back on past Origin series, there's definitely been a few that weren't as engaging as others.

In 2010 the Blues were a dogs breakfast and there was that infamous lead-up to Game II where Tahu walked out on the team after Joey's bone-headed pep talk to Beau Scott. It truly felt like we were watching NSW at their lowest ebb as Queensland completed their first clean sweep since 1995.

2013 started off as a tantalising series coming off of the dramatics of 2012 and a few sneaky behind the scenes ploys from NSW. Then the series all fell apart when Gallen clocked Nate Myles and was allowed to stay on the field. If Gallen had have been sin binned, the biff would have lasted longer and it would have given the NRL time to come up with a better rule.

Instead they bowed to public pressure, put together a mandatory penalty which are always flawed and the series turned into a farce in Game II. Tate got binned for getting rabbit punched and I think Bird got binned for being Greg Bird. The Blues kept losing players through out the series, the result became more predictible and the streaker ruining the last 5 minutes of the series summed it up.

I can barely remember anything about 2016, except the Blues didn't put up much of a fight and Game III was an old fashioned stitch up. I used to get really fired up about one-sided refereeing, but in that case, I just felt embarrassed.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Lozza
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Pablo
  • Nerd
  • Broncorob
  • Behind enemy lines
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • thenry
  • john1420
  • Culhwch
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.