2019 Origin Discussion

Sproj

Sproj

International Captain
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Barba is a smokey. Won't get distracted by origin too

Hmmm...this is actually an interesting point. Now that there is no Slater and Inglis won't be shifted back there due to his body falling apart, Barba is a chance given Ponga is moving to 6 for some unknown reason and Munster is no guarantee to be shifted either.

You would think it will actually come down to one of those guys but if Barba starts the season with a bang, well you never know.

You'd think Munster would play FB for the Storm this year, in any case I'd play him there for QLD. I don't rate him at 5/8, but he's got the potential to be the best FB in the comp and probably will be if the Storm are smart and play him there.

Last edited:
Hmmm...this is actually an interesting point. Now that there is no Slater and Inglis won't be shifted back there due to his body falling apart, Barba is a chance given Ponga is moving to 6 for some unknown reason and Munster is no guarantee to be shifted either.

You would think it will actually come down to one of those guys but if Barba starts the season with a bang, well you never know.

I recall Hodges has already said they are thinking of dropping GI back to fullback.

I recall Hodges has already said they are thinking of dropping GI back to fullback.

May be so but it won't happen. I'd be hugely surprised if it isn't Ponga.

I think Munster will be fullback with the spine to be
1. Munster
6. Morgan
7. DCE
9. Macca / Hunt
14. Ponga

Ponga showed last year he is able to slot into the middle of the field at lock, can comfortably play fullback, wing and halves as well.

Also think the wings will be Oates and Gagai with Inglis and probably Chambers (even though he had a trash 2018 imo) at centre.

I actually don't see Ponga at fullback if he isn't there for Newcastle

Last edited:

Yeah, I think Morgan, Munster and Co. would have to totally shit the bed for him to displace anyone from the halves. They're not about to leave him out of the team though so I think they'd give him the 1.

I actually don't see Ponga at fullback if he isn't there for Newcastle

I'm wondering if him at 6 is the best balance for the Newcastle team. Who have they got coming into FB?

Yeah, I think Morgan, Munster and Co. would have to totally shit the bed for him to displace anyone from the halves. They're not about to leave him out of the team though so I think they'd give him the 1.
You're forgetting that our halves pairing last year was Munster and DCE with DCE arguably being our best player in the games he played... DCE won't be getting dropped. Ponga will be on the bench with hunt likely to be the one that misses out (unless they opt to play hunt at hooker and drop macca, which is possible based on his performance last year).

I'm wondering if him at 6 is the best balance for the Newcastle team. Who have they got coming into FB?
Watson. I personally thing Ponga should have stayed at fullback with watson and pearce in halves. Ponga had some lethal kick returns and got them out of trouble a lot. Moving him to 6 doesn't make sense to me when their spine is still goign to consist of the same players either way, and he is young and fit... Not like his body is slowing down so better off having someone fitter / faster at fullback. Him moving to 5/8th is a Ponga decision because it will increase his chance of playing in the Rugby World Cup for NZ. Brown is too scared to say no to him.

You're forgetting that our halves pairing last year was Munster and DCE with DCE arguably being our best player in the games he played... DCE won't be getting dropped. Ponga will be on the bench with hunt likely to be the one that misses out (unless they opt to play hunt at hooker and drop macca, which is possible based on his performance last year).

Knew I was forgetting someone. Further strengthens my point that I can't see ponga in the halves for QLD meaning fb is more likely.

Knew I was forgetting someone. Further strengthens my point that I can't see ponga in the halves for QLD meaning fb is more likely.
He won't be fullback. Munster will be moved to fullback to make room for Morgan.

With full fitness, the qld team picks itself imo. I'd be shocked if it was anything other than this.
1. Munster
2. Oates
3. Chambers
4. Inglis
5. Gagai
6. Morgan
7. DCE
8. Napa
9. Macca / Hunt
10. Arrow
11. Gillett
12. Kaufusi
13. McGuire
BENCH: Ponga, Papali, Hess, Wallace/Offa/Cooper

So no one thinks milf will come into contention at all ?

So no one thinks milf will come into contention at all ?
He blew his chance to be honest. Would need to be 1-2 injuries for him to get a look in. Or for us to get absolutely belted in game 1.

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.