VOTE 2020 Captain: make your prediction.

Who will be the 2020 Captain?

• Darius Boyd

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • Brodie Croft

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Pat Carrigan

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Alex Glenn

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Payne Haas

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Matt Lodge

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Tevita Pangai

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Seibold doesn't have the balls to appoint a captain, without hedging his bets, it's not a good sign. I hope this rumour isn't true.
Personally I see no issue with it.

So long as the leadership group is doing their job collectively - which seems to be a focus this year on pushing them to step up - irrelevant who the "captain" is

Whoever they choose will be a choice based on the least amount of potential political fallback.

Last edited:
If Seibold doesn't have the balls to appoint a captain, without hedging his bets, it's not a good sign. I hope this rumour isn't true.
It's not about Seibold having the balls to do anything. It's about us having the most stable and smooth leadership possible going into 2020. If Boyd is still the best candidate from a leadership perspective, and in their eyes still has a place in the 17 (which all signs point to being the case in Round 1) then there is no reason to drop him from the Captaincy right now. It creates unnecessary controversy and for all we know, may not be in the best interests of the group overall.

There is the realistic possibility that it wont work out though, and if that is the case and we have to drop Boyd, at least we wont be promoting a new Captain mid-season because Glenn will have been there all along. This causes the least risk of disruption to the squad and the least media fall out or pressure for both Glenn and the wider squad in general.

We can argue about the principle of it all or that a 'proper or strong football side' would have just one Captain, but the fact remains that we have the squad we have. The current leader is still well regarded, but is hanging onto his spot by a knife edge, and even his potential replacement is hardly a lock for the full season. These are the cards we have, and we have to play them the best we can. Canberra made the Grand Final with Co-Captains last season, so it's hardly like there is any real evidence to suggest Co-Captains don't work, and in a squad like ours where both the single candidates are at considerable risk of being dropped at some point, it's likely to be a far less disruptive solution than anything else we have at our disposal.

Last edited:
I agree about the two candidates but I'm not a fan of joint captaincy. It's weak. Make Glenn vice. Done.
What worries me the most is that these two candidates aren't first grade standard. We all know about Boyd's struggles and whilst Glenn always gave a 100%, he was a complete passenger on many occasions last year. But unfortunately there are no other options which is a really woeful situation to be in.

Dobbo reporting on Triple M that Boyd and Glenn will be co-captains, but he sees it as an 'insurance policy'.

Also interesting is that he mentioned Turpin is in line for the starting 9, even though McCullough is winning all the drills.

Both shouldn't be guaranteed spots in the 13 for the entire season but this move locks them in.

Both shouldn't be guaranteed spots in the 13 for the entire season but this move locks them in.
The very fact they've had to name two of them should tell you pretty clearly that they don't have a lock on their positions and each one is contingency for the other in the case their colleague see out the season.
[automerge]1579569992[/automerge]
What worries me the most is that these two candidates aren't first grade standard. We all know about Boyd's struggles and whilst Glenn always gave a 100%, he was a complete passenger on many occasions last year. But unfortunately there are no other options which is a really woeful situation to be in.
Glenn is comfortably first grade standard. It's a gross overstatement to say otherwise.

Last edited:
I actually see co-captains as more of an indictment on Boyd's captaincy and as a way of moving him out of the club.

To me the easy / weak thing to do would be to keep Boyd as captain with no changes.

In reality any change from Boyd being sole captain will be quite telling on his position within the team. Whether that be co-captains or naming a VC. To me a VC is typically named when the club identify their next long term captain in waiting (Graham at the Sharks, etc.)... so in that sense naming Glenn as VC may not be a great look considering they'll retire around the same time.

I think it will be interesting to see who makes the decisions if/when Boyd and Glenn are both off the field... will it be Lodge, Milf or Croft?

I think it would be Croft and I'm starting to think he is the leading candidate after Glenn and Boyd in Seibs mind and could see him getting named VC in 2021... unless a Carrigan or Fifita absolutely blow it off the park in 2020 and become the obvious next captain.

I will be filthy if Darius is captain or co-captain again in 2020. The bloke doesn’t make our top 13 if we are being serious.
Was there not a massive internal review at the end of 2019?
Looks like we are happy being the laughing stock of the league again in 2020, and most probably 2021.

I will be filthy if Darius is captain or co-captain again in 2020. The bloke doesn’t make our top 13 if we are being serious.
Was there not a massive internal review at the end of 2019?
Looks like we are happy being the laughing stock of the league again in 2020, and most probably 2021.
To be fair, we don't know what's been worked out between him and the coach this off season.

It could very well be he's putting in and letting go of the bullshit.

He may surprise. And I was a very staunch Boyd hater. I trust the system and coach to do the right thing [emoji2369]

Weak, if true. All this will say is neither candidate is strong enough to be captain.

Better to retain Boyd at captain and make Glenn vice. By the time Boyd is dropped, or hopefully retires, maybe Croft will have shown enough to be elevated to interim captain, with Glenn retained as vice.

That said, if Boyd is relegated to the wing, he'll have to **** up pretty consistently to get dropped. It'll be easier for him to hide out there.
Given his recent form, I’m sure he’s up to the challenge.

Personally, I’d like to see Seibs go with a triumvirate of Boyd, Macca and Kahu. Just to see the response on here 😁

you won't get to see the response as the entire internet will implode from it

source.gif

Active Now

• davidp
  • Foordy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Jazza
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • GCBRONCO
  • Kev_Guz
  • Bish
  • Skathen
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Wolfie
  • kman
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.