2020 Origin Discussion

kooly87

NRL Player
Read somewhere this morning that Holmes likely to miss Game 1.

With Feldt declaring himself ineligible you'd think there is actually a decent chance now that Oates will get a game . :vom:
This is a joke right? What part of being dropped to the Bench for the last placed Broncos makes you think he's about to get an Origin call up?

If Holmes was to miss Game 1 then with Feldt off the table I suspect they'll look to inject some more new blood - probably Ronaldo Mulitalo or even Tuala from the Knights. They could even do something insane like play Brimson out there, all of which is still more likely than Corey Oates again.

The True King

QCup Player
This is a joke right? What part of being dropped to the Bench for the last placed Broncos makes you think he's about to get an Origin call up?

If Holmes was to miss Game 1 then with Feldt off the table I suspect they'll look to inject some more new blood - probably Ronaldo Mulitalo or even Tuala from the Knights. They could even do something insane like play Brimson out there, all of which is still more likely than Corey Oates again.

I wish it was a joke. Don't forget that Chambers, Glasby and Mbye played origin last year, none of which were in form.

Kevvie is unwavering in his support for Morgan too. I personally think there's a very good chance he will pick Oates and use the old "he's been here before" justification.

Last edited:

john1420

NRL Player
Has had 2 games back from injury, and has made 3 really bad basic errors. Has also represented QLD 8 times, and performed really well. Happy to pick him on his past performances for QLD, and we really don't have any options. QLD forwards will need all the help they can get too.
Opinion not based on 2 games, it's based on his whole year.
He simply isn't an Origin standard winger.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
That would be right, Holmes is out because of the shoulder charge but there was never a thought of a professional foul. It wouldn't have changed the bearing of the game mind you but at least some consistensy would be nice.

BooKhaki

BRL Player
Opinion not based on 2 games, it's based on his whole year.
He simply isn't an Origin standard winger.
Yet he has 8 origin games, in which he was quite good. Dane Gagai has been rubbish for Souths, he is still getting picked. Runs on the board means a lot in origin.

The True King

QCup Player
Yet he has 8 origin games, in which he was quite good. Dane Gagai has been rubbish for Souths, he is still getting picked. Runs on the board means a lot in origin.

Huh?

Sure he's not the best player in the comp but I think he's actually been one of their better players this year.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Gagai has been significantly better at club land this year than any previous year. The numbers back that up, he's playing very well.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
He has a few good games a year. Really depends what games you've watched.
I haven't watched every game, but I've watched most games this year and he's been very good every game I've watched. I know he's been pretty poor in previous years but he's been excellent for mine at club level this year. He's a walk in for origin on form, or incumbency.

The True King

QCup Player
I haven't watched every game, but I've watched most games this year and he's been very good every game I've watched. I know he's been pretty poor in previous years but he's been excellent for mine at club level this year. He's a walk in for origin on form, or incumbency.

Second this. I haven't watched every Souths game either but seen most of them and he's been excellent.

Which games have you watched, B BooKhaki ?

Alec

International Rep
In the previous seasons Gagai definitely Nate Myles'd it up a bit, but he still wasn't even close to being as bad as Oates has been this year, and Oates never came close to being as good as Gagai was when both played for QLD, so I don't think you can really compare them.

BooKhaki

BRL Player
In the previous seasons Gagai definitely Nate Myles'd it up a bit, but he still wasn't even close to being as bad as Oates has been this year, and Oates never came close to being as good as Gagai was when both played for QLD, so I don't think you can really compare them.
It was an example, not a comparison, and they also aren't competing as Gagai is 100% if fit. My point is Oates has had a bad year, but has 8 good games for QLD. He is a better option than debuting people who would need to play out of position. Oates is a confidence player, get him out of the dumpster fire that is Brisbane, and in a team with some talent and he'll be sweet.

BooKhaki

BRL Player
In the past.....history
He isn't an origin standard winger NOW
QLD have a history of people who weren't origin standard at the time, and they produce the goods.

If you give me a choice between Oates and playing someone like Allen or Brimson out of position, I'm taking Oates every time.

john1420

NRL Player
QLD have a history of people who weren't origin standard at the time, and they produce the goods.

If you give me a choice between Oates and playing someone like Allen or Brimson out of position, I'm taking Oates every time.
Won't argue the bolded bit.
As for picking Oates over Brimson, well that depends.
If picking Oates keeps Brimson out of the side then no way, I will definitely pick AJ over Oates.
But if AJ is still picked somewhere else, and Oates is literally the last man standing, yeah pick him on the wing and hope he does the classic QLD thing and play above his level, coz he will need to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lopper2020

Twitter