2020 Round 1 Line up

Anybody else of the opinion that we may need to consider employing a really noted defender in the Lock role this season?

If we are mostly of the opinion that Macca will be out of the starting Dummy Half role come Round 1, we are losing a pretty hardworking middle defender. Granted, Turpin is no slouch, but Macca does make a ton of tackles and his workload will definitely be missed at some point.

Just thinking it might be time to look at a more traditional Lock Forward who gets through plenty of defensive work as we have already had plenty of defensive issues last season and with Macca dropping out there is potential for that to get worse.

We have some of the most effective Front Rowers and middle Forwards in the comp, all capable of playing big minutes and getting through lots of work including our interchange middle Forwards, so I think in that sense we could probably afford to run a little short in the Lock role for attacking impact (playing a third Prop like most teams) if we were trading it off to ensure our middle defence was tighter and more effective overall.

Last edited:
The **** is the number 7?
Jamal Fogarty?
1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Xavier Coates
3. David Fifita
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Jesse Arthars
6. Anthony Milford
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Matthew Lodge
9. James Segeyaro
10. Payne Haas
11. Corey Oates
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai
17. Joe Ofahengaue

Fight me

Anybody else of the opinion that we may need to consider employing a really noted defender in the Lock role this season?

If we are mostly of the opinion that Macca will be out of the starting Dummy Half role come Round 1, we are losing a pretty hardworking middle defender. Granted, Turpin is no slouch, but Macca does make a ton of tackles and his workload will definitely be missed at some point.

Just thinking it might be time to look at a more traditional Lock Forward who gets through plenty of defensive work as we have already had plenty of defensive issues last season and with Macca dropping out there is potential for that to get worse.

We have some of the most effective Front Rowers and middle Forwards in the comp, all capable of playing big minutes and getting through lots of work including our interchange middle Forwards, so I think in that sense we could probably afford to run a little short in the Lock role for attacking impact (playing a third Prop like most teams) if we were trading it off to ensure our middle defence was tighter and more effective overall.
I get your point but i think our time without macca this year indicated that his defensive work is not as vital as we thought it was (or previously was). Running the two hookers seemed to address fatigue related issues (i.e, we were solid against the roosters with turpin and seggy).

Despite that, i am not opposed to trialling glenn/gillett there who will be replaced by carrigan

The **** is the number 7?
Jamal Fogarty?

played 7 for the QLD Cup premiers.

i think he also won the Petero Civoniceva Medal for best player in the ISC this year

Last edited:
I get your point but i think our time without macca this year indicated that his defensive work is not as vital as we thought it was (or previously was). Running the two hookers seemed to address fatigue related issues (i.e, we were solid against the roosters with turpin and seggy).

Despite that, i am not opposed to trialling glenn/gillett there who will be replaced by carrigan
Yeah that's a good point, but it's not a huge sample size. Macca has some shortfalls relative to the modern day Dummy Half, but no one could deny he's a fairly tireless and hard working middle defender. I just worry that when you take a guy who makes 50+ tackles a game out of the team, that we have to replace that somewhere. I'm personally thinking Gillett may be a great fit there with Carrigan as the medium to long term prospect in that role.

Our attack has been hopeless, don't get me wrong, so I'm all in favour of dramatically overhauling and improving that aspect of our game, but that shouldn't detract from the fact our defence was very weak for a lot of the year too.

Last edited:
Yeah that's a good point, but it's not a huge sample size. Macca has some shortfalls relative to the modern day Dummy Half, but no one could deny he's a fairly tireless and hard working middle defender. I just worry that when you take a guy who makes 50+ tackles a game out of the team, that we have to replace that somewhere. I'm personally thinking Gillett may be a great fit there with Carrigan as the medium to long term prospect in that role.

Our attack has been hopeless, don't get me wrong, so I'm all in favour of dramatically overhauling and improving that aspect of our game, but that shouldn't detract from the fact our defence was very weak for a lot of the year too.
From the outside looking in it would appear Carrigan's relatively quick elevation into the leadership group may see competing hard for the starting lock role next year... potentially favored at this stage.

I think from the defensive perspective that you're talking about he would cover that pretty well. He's reasonably mobile compared to the other middles and is a hard worker. If he has a passing game he could be our Jurbo... I don't think he's been given that responsibility at the moment, but if he's got some footy smarts about him he could become very handy.

Below is how I think the current forward pack stands in the depth chart:
8. Lodge
9. Turps
10. Haas
11. Fifi
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Macca/Seggy/Paix (pecking order within the club)
15. TPJ
16. Offa
17. Glenn

18. Flegler (misses out basically for Carrigan... can't see him ahead of Offa or TPJ at this stage)

I think TPJ has dropped out of the race for lock and I have him part of the prop rotation. Although his attack in the second row is massive I think he needs to improve his defence dramatically before he could take the starting spot. Coming off the bench as first change provides great impact to keep the roll on. May even be a tactic that he comes on at 20min plays some prop then moves out to second row with Gillett being subbed off.

I've got Gillett starting... I'm not buying into media claims he's been told he'll start from the bench. I think the squad has been reset and form and preseason will govern positions. I have Gillett ahead of Glenn (Gillett offers a bit more all round, whilst Glenn provides flexibility on the bench) and TPJ (as per defensive issues outlined above).

Carrigan starting lock and playing 60... with Offa/TPJ/Haas rotating through lock as per rotation this year.

Haas, Lodge and Fifi pick themselves

Utility order is based on how i see them from a club perspective rather than personal perspective.

From the outside looking in it would appear Carrigan's relatively quick elevation into the leadership group may see competing hard for the starting lock role next year... potentially favored at this stage.

I think from the defensive perspective that you're talking about he would cover that pretty well. He's reasonably mobile compared to the other middles and is a hard worker. If he has a passing game he could be our Jurbo... I don't think he's been given that responsibility at the moment, but if he's got some footy smarts about him he could become very handy.

Below is how I think the current forward pack stands in the depth chart:
8. Lodge
9. Turps
10. Haas
11. Fifi
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Macca/Seggy/Paix (pecking order within the club)
15. TPJ
16. Offa
17. Glenn

18. Flegler (misses out basically for Carrigan... can't see him ahead of Offa or TPJ at this stage)

I think TPJ has dropped out of the race for lock and I have him part of the prop rotation. Although his attack in the second row is massive I think he needs to improve his defence dramatically before he could take the starting spot. Coming off the bench as first change provides great impact to keep the roll on. May even be a tactic that he comes on at 20min plays some prop then moves out to second row with Gillett being subbed off.

I've got Gillett starting... I'm not buying into media claims he's been told he'll start from the bench. I think the squad has been reset and form and preseason will govern positions. I have Gillett ahead of Glenn (Gillett offers a bit more all round, whilst Glenn provides flexibility on the bench) and TPJ (as per defensive issues outlined above).

Carrigan starting lock and playing 60... with Offa/TPJ/Haas rotating through lock as per rotation this year.

Haas, Lodge and Fifi pick themselves

Utility order is based on how i see them from a club perspective rather than personal perspective.

I hope Gillet can get back to his old self. But even if he did, I'm not sure he would be starting at second row. Fifita has one side locked down and TPJ gave us a real point of difference on the other side before his suspension this year.

I hope Gillet can get back to his old self. But even if he did, I'm not sure he would be starting at second row. Fifita has one side locked down and TPJ gave us a real point of difference on the other side before his suspension this year.
If TPJ improves his defence on the edge then he is by far and away the best option out there... it actually works with the team better as well, given TPJ carries in his left he is more suited to the left side of the field, which allows Fifi to move to his favoured right side.

I think TPJ's preseason should be heavily focused on improving his defence.

I also suggested that TPJ could move out to the second row during his stint (which I think he should be doing from lock/prop anyway) with Gillett being subbed off.

TPJ did play some of his best football off the bench in the middle as well last year... basically he has the attacking game to thrive anywhere on the field he just needs a defensive game to match and he could be one of the best forwards in the game

Gillette Lock? I know Seibs toyed with it at the start of the season, he wasn’t great in attack (but, tbh when is he?) but his D was pretty solid.... Mecca-esque

Glenn fits the bill. What about defensive protection for our halves. Who currently does this job like Carrroll and then Parker did for Lockyer.

Glenn fits the bill. What about defensive protection for our halves. Who currently does this job like Carrroll and then Parker did for Lockyer.
Yeah i think if we are looking at fifita, TPJ/gillet for second row, they do have some work to do in the off season, particularly with their lateral movement.

But like carroll, a couple good shots on people running at our halves will have them reconsidering that tactic.

Yeah i think if we are looking at fifita, TPJ/gillet for second row, they do have some work to do in the off season, particularly with their lateral movement.

But like carroll, a couple good shots on people running at our halves will have them reconsidering that tactic.
probably 50+ more than 300+ game rep superstar and captain marvelous boyd.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Tagatese & Fensom have both officially retired from the NRL (Source: Broncos Facebook)

Should free up a couple of roster spots at the very least.

Should free up a couple of roster spots at the very least.

Brisbane Broncos (23 Signed)
Jack Bird, Darius Boyd, Patrick Carrigan, Xavier Coates, Thomas Dearden, Herbie Farnworth, David Fifita, Thomas Flegler, Matt Gillett, Payne Haas, Jamayne Isaako, Rhys Kennedy, Matt Lodge, Andrew McCullough, Anthony Milford, Joe Ofahengaue, Sean O'Sullivan, Cory Paix, Tevita Pangai Jr, Izaia Perese, Gehamat Shibasaki, Kotoni Staggs, Jake Turpin

Unsigned Brisbane Broncos
George Fai, Alex Glenn, Richie Kennar, Patrick Mago, Corey Oates.

Brisbane Broncos 2019 Development Players
Ethan Bullemor, Keenan Palasia, Ilkenia Vudogo

Jesse Arthars is all but confirmed for the roster and we know that Jamil Hopoate signed on for 2020 but we're yet to know the nature of the deal - whether it's a squad or development deal.

Of those unsigned, the Broncos are expected to announce new deals with Glenn and Oates in the coming weeks. With the Arthars signing imminent that would make it a 26 man roster with four spots remaining.

However, that number doesn't take into account Bird's inevitable departure. At this stage, I'm reserved to the idea that Bird is most likely heading back to Sydney, largely because it would make the most amount of sense for both parties. It just comes down to finding a club who would be willing to sign him to a long term deal. I think there's a few clubs out there who would be willing to sign him to a 2022 deal, with the idea of it being three years if you include 2020.

The future looks bright for Jack, but unfortunately the Broncos will likely take the hit and I could see them easily putting in $400,000 into the deal, if not $600,000. It's funny, Brisbane could have rorted the cap for years and they would have been less burdened than in this scenario.

Of the remaining players, I would be surprised if anyone other than Kennar was kept on. Neither Fai nor Mago played NRL this year which would suggest they're not in Seibold's future plans at the club, meanwhile Kennar has played under Seibold since Richie was with the Melbourne Storm's Under 20s side and I can't see him fielding too much interest. It maybe another train and trial deal, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him continue his rehab at Red Hill.

Then there's the development players. All three are set to return this pre-season and I could see both Bullemor and Palasia pushing for a spot. Of the two, Palasia is the better player and is coming off a surprisingly strong season. However, at only 19, Bullemor is well ahead of where he should be in his development and has that surprising turn of speed and anticipation that could see him make an impact at a first grade level.

Finally we have players who are reportedly on Broncos contracts, but we're not entirely sure of their status or they're on train and trial deals. This includes players such as Jamil Hopoate, Fanitesi Niu, Jordan Riki, Kobe Hetherington, Francis Tualau, BJ Aufaga-Toomaga etc.

One player I wouldn't be shocked to see on a train and trial deal is backrow Lucky Taavale. Taavale is a Rabbitohs junior who signed with Wynnum earlier in the year and was considered one of their brighter prospects. He was elevated to NSW Cup under Seibold's tenure at the club, an indication that Seibold thinks highly of him. For all I know, he could just be a Seagulls signing, but I get the impression much like Tualau he came up to Brisbane for a reason.

Look, I know there is a difference in overall quality of the competition, but for anyone who saw Jackson Hastings play in the ESL semifinal overnight, you would have to be super impressed. I watched the game and boy, he absolutely ran the show from start to finish, simply carving up the hot favourites Wigan at will. He was man of he match and he DOES have a clause in his contract allowing him to return to the NRL from November if he were to secure a contract.

I am telling you, this bloke shits all over Croft in every facet of the game and would probably come a bit cheaper too. If our recruitment guys aren't on the phone to this bloke, they need dragging over fucking hot coals!

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.