2020 Round 1 Line up

Was just thinking, if Bird does leave and we are not paying too much of his salary, why don't we go all out and throw 700k or so at Cronk for a year. Convince him to postpone retirement. The added bonus is Dearden gets one helluva mentor for 12 months!

I'm sure Cronk won't be interested now that he's settled in Sydney, but you just never know sometimes. It would also solve our captaincy dilemma for a year until Carrigan takes over in 2021. To see Cronk in a maroon and gold jersey is the stuff dreams are made of.

Cronk was on good Money in Sydney and only left the Storm to be with his Mrs ... he isn't leaving now ...

besides i'm sure uncle Nick will throw him some dollars to continue to mentor the Roosters halves in an off field role

I actually think we'd be too 4 with this team.

1. Holmes
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Coates/Farnsworth/Arthars
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Dearden (Sezer would be better)
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn/Gillett
12. Fifita
13. TPJ
14. Seggy
15. Gillett / Glenn (Carrigan if Glenn leaves)
16. Offa
17. Flegler

Will need one of Coates / Farnsworth / Arthars to really lift at centre though

Loving how in some people's minds Sezer has gone from a numpty to a legit superstar within a few months.

I've never said he was a numpty. He's always been in the Townsend/Reynolds/Moses mold of halfback. As long as the **** can kick a ball and direct a defensive line, he's alright in my book.

No one is placing Shibasaki in there teams I have a horrible feeling he will be at centre.

No one is placing Shibasaki in there teams I have a horrible feeling he will be at centre.

At the moment, he is the best and pretty much only center we have for our left side. Nobody else is ready. Actually, we will have Arthars, but i dont think he is a lot better.

Last edited:
Considering Glenn got a run at centre over Shibasaki I don't think so. Unless he has an absolute killer of an off season.

If we got someone who can kick, surely we out Coates there. Just bomb to him on last. Bloke is superman.

Considering Glenn got a run at centre over Shibasaki I don't think so. Unless he has an absolute killer of an off season.

If we got someone who can kick, surely we out Coates there. Just bomb to him on last. Bloke is superman.

I think Coates will be on slow cook again next year, three NRL games and two ISC games chuck in a Test and Qld Under 18 and he was cooked, he didn't even get through the MM season he only played five games of eight.

He hasn't played at all since start of August against the Storm.

Last edited:
I think Coates will be on slow cook again next year, three NRL games and two ISC games chuck in a Test and Qld Under 18 and he was cooked, he didn't even get through the MM season he only played five games of eight.

He hasn't played at all since start of August against the Storm.
I thought you could tell with Coates that he wasn't ready yet - though he looks like a very exciting prospect.

I thought you could tell with Coates that he wasn't ready yet - though he looks like a very exciting prospect.

I think he's probably where Herbie was two years ago, needs to play 20 ISC games next year and jag five NRL games if he can.

Herbie went 9 and 16 this year plus his first finals game and two NRL games.

But this year different physical player, his positioning and reading of the play was excellent, and his finishing improved.

I think he's probably where Herbie was two years ago, needs to play 20 ISC games next year and jag five NRL games if he can.

But this year different physical player, his positioning and reading of the play was excellent, and his finishing improved.
Kinda hoping for Norths sake he gets another year with them next year to see if they can win a Premiership.

What do think Coates and Farnworth's best positions will be in the NRL? Also do you think Farnworth will play a lot of NRL next year?

I don't know who will feature in round one but if I had my way it would not feature:
Boyd
Bird
Gillett
McCullough

We have not got any value out of these players for some time now. I would move them all on as they are all towards the pointy end of salaries. Even base wage replacements would have the same impact in my view given injury and form. If they are all on what is quoted we can pay half their wages and be better off.

I would try and replace this way

Macca- Seggy or Luke (similar to Seggy this year in a cheap option) Paix too.
Bird- Halfback (Lewis or Sezer but max 2 year deal)
Gillett- Cheap experienced toiler with solid defence
Boyd- First Grade Quality Fullback so Milford is back in 6.

I feel we need to move Gillett now as if we do it later we won't get as much. I think he would add something to the Warriors, Titans, Bulldogs or England.

Macca may be ok in the right hooking rotation like the Dogs or Warriors.

Boyd's only options are retirement or England

Bird seems to have a deal already

I figure that squad players like Fai, Fensom,Mago, Kennar, Tagataese will also be moved on.

Although Milford has not been great he was very good last year and if he just gets a 6 role that suits him I think he will come good again.

Last edited:
What do think Coates and Farnworth's best positions will be in the NRL? Also do you think Farnworth will play a lot of NRL next year?

Both wing at this stage, on the right. I like the way Farnworth has improved in two years and is now an excellent finisher. Being on the wing allows him to roam a bit which he did to get effect for Norths this year. He scored a try against Ipswich on the left which showed great awareness.

Coates wing because he can settle in and watch a game, learn and observe. Same as Herbie then that allows him to learn to read the game and be there to finish. Also like the U18 Origin means he can come in and run mid field which is when he is most dangerous. He wasn't confident enough in ISC or NRL to do it yet. That tells me still learning at that level if he can leave.

But of the two, Herbie is the most ready to play centre.

Last edited:
Farnsworth would be lethal if we turned him into a fullback.
Farnsworth seems to have the Game awareness and speed so fullback makes sense. Coates strength, speed and athleticism so maybe a winger and then eventually a centre. I'm now thinking we let Oates go too. Cowboys would take him. He is great bringing the ball back but teams don't let this happen much anymore. His hands and execution are not worth carrying in my view.

Last edited:
Both wing at this stage, on the right. I like the way Farnworth has improved in two years and is now an excellent finisher. Being on the wing allows him to roam a bit which he did to get effect for Norths this year. He scored a try against Ipswich on the left which showed great awareness.

Coates wing because he can settle in and watch a game, learn and observe. Same as Herbie then that allows him to learn to read the game and be there to finish. Also like the U18 Origin means he can come in and run mid field which is when he is most dangerous. He wasn't confident enough in ISC or NRL to do it yet. That tells me still learning at that level if he can leave.

But of the two, Herbie is the most ready to play centre.

Makes sense from what I have seen of the two. I imagine Coates would also put on a bit of size in the off season to handle the physicality and then try to play a full season of ISC.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • Justwin
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Mick_Hancock
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wild Horse
  • sooticus
  • ChewThePhatt
  • theshed
  • Midean
  • Wolfie
  • Jazza
  • Fatboy
  • Stix
  • TimWhatley
  • Fozz
  • Big Del
  • DrGee
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.